New citizens supposed to update SSA?

When our friend up in Boston went to the swearing in Ceremony they were all told to go to Soc Sec Admin and change their Status.

They never mentioned it at our swearing in, nor did any of my wife's other friends ever mention it. From the SSA.Gov website:

"What if my immigration status or citizenship changed? If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship."

From another place: "Report Your Change in Citizenship to the Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration requires any person who has a change in his or her immigration or citizenship status to report that change to the Social Security Administration (see Your Social Security Number And Card ).

Reporting this change is actually to the benefit of you, the new citizen. Why?

* The social security database will be updated showing you as a US citizen. This database is shared with all federal agencies and many state agencies further validating your US citizenship status with the federal and state governments.

* With your social security records updated showing you as a US citizen, it will be much easier in the future to apply for and receive all social security benefits entitled to you.

* If you ever have to replace your social security card, obtaining a new card will be easier now that you are a US citizen.

* Lastly, in some states, certain disability benefits are only available to US citizens. By changing your citizenship status with the Social Security Administration you will ensure you receive all disability, retirement and social security benefits for which you qualify as a US citizen.

You must report the change by completing Form SS-5 and by visiting your local Social Security Administration office in person."

Are we the only ones not knowing this?

Actually a lot of people don't know this, they assume just because they hav an unresticted SSN card everything is fine.

Yep Citizens get mor benifits from SSA so should report immigrations status change.

When we did it for my wife they issued a new card (she had some words stating not valid for work without ... on the prior card). I brought my daughter and they took the info but stated no new card. Her card already had no restrictions on the card. But you are supposed to do this at the Social Security Office.

When we did it for my wife they issued a new card (she had some words stating not valid for work without ... on the prior card). I brought my daughter and they took the info but stated no new card. Her card already had no restrictions on the card. But you are supposed to do this at the Social Security Office.

Yep that is a restricted card, it is issued to NON-Immigrants like K-1 visa holders, once status changes to immigrant (Green-Card) can apply for a card with the restriction removed.

Then when a green-card holder becomes a citizen, still should visit SSA and inform them, they may or may not issue a new card.

• 2 months later...