wifes parents visit to u.s.

hello, can anyone help us with the steps involved for my wifes parents coming to the u.s. for a one month visit? My wife has her 2 year conditional residence green card. Her parents live in Shandong province and are in their 70s. Thanks for any guidance you can provice

There is a good thread pinned at the top of the Visa first steps forum about Mother-In-Law visa.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8469

hello, can anyone help us with the steps involved for my wifes parents coming to the u.s. for a one month visit? My wife has her 2 year conditional residence green card. Her parents live in Shandong province and are in their 70s. Thanks for any guidance you can provice

Compared to getting a Fianc¨¦e or Spouse visa the steps needed for obtaining a tourist visa are much more straight forward. Basically it boils down to each of your in-laws will need to fill out & submit an online DS-160 non-immigrant visa application form (or you can do this for them)and print out the confirmation pages. The forms are submitted electronically, so there is no need to mail in anything. You then call the Visa Information Center in Shanghai to set up an interview appointment at the Consulate/Embassy of your choosing (don't have to reside in a particular consulate's district). When I did this for my in-laws a couple of months back they were able to get an interview scheduled within 3 weeks, so the process moves pretty fast. Your in-laws of course will need to take proof of strong ties to China with them to the interview and I would recommend filling out an I-134 Support Affidavit for them as well (the VO who interviewed my in-laws asked for one and gave it a long look).

• 1 month later...

Compared to getting a Fianc¨¦e or Spouse visa the steps needed for obtaining a tourist visa are much more straight forward. Basically it boils down to each of your in-laws will need to fill out & submit an online DS-160 non-immigrant visa application form (or you can do this for them)and print out the confirmation pages. The forms are submitted electronically, so there is no need to mail in anything. You then call the Visa Information Center in Shanghai to set up an interview appointment at the Consulate/Embassy of your choosing (don't have to reside in a particular consulate's district). When I did this for my in-laws a couple of months back they were able to get an interview scheduled within 3 weeks, so the process moves pretty fast. Your in-laws of course will need to take proof of strong ties to China with them to the interview and I would recommend filling out an I-134 Support Affidavit for them as well (the VO who interviewed my in-laws asked for one and gave it a long look).

thanks for all your help. Is submitting a online application the only way to apply for a family/tourist visa? Also, i am assuming they will be applying for a b-2 visa. thanks to all !!

thanks for all your help. Is submitting a online application the only way to apply for a family/tourist visa? Also, i am assuming they will be applying for a b-2 visa. thanks to all !!

Yes, online is the only way. Yes, B2 is the visa for your in-laws. Take a look at

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_business.html

They will go to Beijing for visa interview.

Yes, online is the only way. Yes, B2 is the visa for your in-laws. Take a look at

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_business.html

They will go to Beijing for visa interview.

Thanks for the information. Previously, i was under the impression that they would be going to the Shanghai

embassy.Also, since past threads on this subject date back to 2005, have the "inviter" requirements changed in the past few years? Should i send my inlaws a "care package" containing i-134, copy of their daughters passport and green visa, photos of my wife and i, etc.?

Thanks for the information. Previously, i was under the impression that they would be going to the Shanghai

embassy.Also, since past threads on this subject date back to 2005, have the "inviter" requirements changed in the past few years? Should i send my inlaws a "care package" containing i-134, copy of their daughters passport and green visa, photos of my wife and i, etc.?

The department, where you need to call to reserve an interview for them, locates in Shanghai. Take a look at the link below regarding how to purchase a phone card and how to make a call.

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_appointment.html

Shandong province belongs to Beijing Embassy zone. Thus they need to go to Beijing.

Either you and your wife, or both could be inviter. It depends on you and your wife. The inviter needs to provide I-134 form. If your wife and you are inviters, then include the invitation, 1-134 form, a copy of your two's passports and her green card, photos of you two with in_laws. Your in_laws also need to provide proof of ties to China, usually their properties, retirement income, other children in China etc.

Shandong province belongs to Beijing Embassy zone. Thus they need to go to Beijing.

For a B2 visa, they can go to the Embassy in Beijing or the Consulate of their choice elsewhere. The apply in the zone of jurisdiction was removed not too long ago.

For a B2 visa, they can go to the Embassy in Beijing or the Consulate of their choice elsewhere. The apply in the zone of jurisdiction was removed not too long ago.

Thanks for all of your guidance. I will let you all know how this progresses

Yes, you are right. Thanks for correcting me. I just check US Beijing Embassy website. The new policy starts since Feb 17, 2011.

http://chinese.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_info2.html

The link is in Chinese. I did not find an English link for it.

Yes, you are right. Thanks for correcting me. I just check US Beijing Embassy website. The new policy starts since Feb 17, 2011.

http://chinese.usemb.../niv_info2.html

The link is in Chinese. I did not find an English link for it.

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_general.html#niv2