Chinese Passort Renewal Here in U.S. ....

Thanks for any help in advance.

As I am aware that it is possible to renew a Chinese passport at the consulate offices throughout the U.S., I am also aware that they travel from state to state and it is possible to get it renewed at a temporary location.

My wife has been watching for the dates and locations on the embassy's web-site and they are now within reach of our city.

Today they are in Lexington, Ky. and next weekend they are in Memphis, TN.

I am unable to translate what she has found on the embassy's site.

Here is the link where she found this info:

http://www.china-emb...ywzn/lsyw/gzrz/

You can see the first listings with the numbers on the first line showing 2 and 20, second line 2 and 13 and so forth. We are interested in the one reading 2 and 6 which is in Memphis as we are in Nashville.

Can someone help get this translated or get me to the right site where I am able to read the same in English?

I will need to be able to learn of the forms and money order amounts, etc. for this process to be completed.

If I have placed this in the wrong forum, I am hoping a mod can get it relocated properly.

Thanks so much,

Clayton & Wen-Li

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Install google toolbar on your browser, enable translation tool, and navigate to that page, is how I get it done.

Toolbar works with Firefox and Internet Explore.

Thanks Dan.

Located, installed and translated...for the most part.

Blink one time and I quess I miss such technology.

Clayton

Yep. Beware Google Toolbar seems to be a memory hog on Fire-fox if you find firefox becoming sluggish and nor responsive, Google TB is the cause.

Another trick is to copy the page to google's language tools on line.

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Copying your webpage address to the above page results in this: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.china-embassy.org%2Fchn%2Fywzn%2Flsyw%2Fgzrz%2F&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

I read the link but can't find the location in Memphis where this will be held. Anyone know?

We need to get Lily's passport renewed soon, and Memphis is a little closer than DC.

Also it appears this will happen on a Sunday, which will be convenient.

I read the link but can't find the location in Memphis where this will be held. Anyone know?

We need to get Lily's passport renewed soon, and Memphis is a little closer than DC.

Hank,

http://translate.goo...m4j2EtVswRTkivg

http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/ywzn/lsyw/gzrz/zytz/t790955.htm

From the link above, looks to be Feb 6, Google translate has "big Memphis Chinese Association," I suspect "BIG" actually means "Greater"

I would suspect it will be held at:

Greater Memphis United Chinese Association (GMUCA) 1979 Campus Postal Station

Memphis, TN 38152

Phone: 901-485-7518

http://www.artsmemph...org/detail/2873

GMUCA website seems to be having a problem at the moment: http://home.gmuca.org/

Hank,

http://translate.goo...m4j2EtVswRTkivg

http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/ywzn/lsyw/gzrz/zytz/t790955.htm

From the link above, looks to be Feb 6, Google translate has "big Memphis Chinese Association," I suspect "BIG" actually means "Greater"

I would suspect it will be held at:

Greater Memphis United Chinese Association (GMUCA) 1979 Campus Postal Station

Memphis, TN 38152

Phone: 901-485-7518

http://www.artsmemph...org/detail/2873

GMUCA website seems to be having a problem at the moment: http://home.gmuca.org/

Thanks Dan,

For Clayton's information:

The website isn't working and when I emailed them, Daemon Returned it. The Campus Postal Station address, according to google maps, must be a PO Box.

However, I did get in touch with someone at the phone number listed, who then gave me another number to call.

Calling this number, I talked with a John Chen of GMUCA and I did get some partial info about the upcoming Embassy visit. All he knows is that it will be on the University of Memphis Campus this Sunday.

He will get back to me with further information (Location and times) when he hears again from the embassy.

I also called the Embassy Visa/Passport number in DC, and all they could confirm was that indeed the passport people would be somewhere in TN on Feb 6.

Clayton.................I'll post more info if I get it.

Hank

Edited by hankster (see edit history)

I would advise also trying to find out if this traveling service is for application for renewal and pickup. Li had to go to DC twice to ger hers renewed. Once to apply for renewal, then about two weeks later to pick up the passport. They would not renew it the same day. Not sure about this traveling deal, however.

I would advise also trying to find out if this traveling service is for application for renewal and pickup. Li had to go to DC twice to ger hers renewed. Once to apply for renewal, then about two weeks later to pick up the passport. They would not renew it the same day. Not sure about this traveling deal, however.

I beleive, if you provide a prepaid express mail envelope, the Embassy or Consulate will mail the new passport to your home, no need to stick around, or return to the Embassy to pick up.

The visa services cannot provide passport renewal service, unless you are older than age 65, and that too may be suspended.

http://www.visarite....se_Passport.htm

They may provide a pick-up service though.

Hank,

Thanks so much.

I also contacted John this afternoon on his cell number provided to me by a member at GMUCA. Apparently we are taking the same path.

He was just getting all the details himself, but I was informed by him that it will be at the University of Memphis on Saturday, February 5th at 3pm.

He added my email address to his list as he was preparing at the time to email all members of GMUCA the details and requirements for the passport renewal next weekend.

As I understand it, you must meet with the embassy staff in person to start the process of passport renewal. Once done and fees paid, the new passport will be mailed to us within two to three months as Dan stated also.

I may stand corrected in the near future on all that I have just posted. If so, stay tuned. Once I receive the email from GMUCA I will forward it to you also Hank.

Clayton & Wen-Li

To Hank and others concerned:

Below is a portion of the email I just received from John Chen, President of GMUCA.

He also attached an application for passport renewal (in Chinese) and requirements such as cashier check amount, photos, etc., again in Chinese.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chinese Embassy has confirmed that they will send an official to come to Memphis on Feb. 5th to work on Passport renewal, living certificate, and Travel Permits for children (if either parent has received a Green Card or a U.S. Citizen, then their children can not apply for Travel Permit). Please read the attached instructions and prepare the necessary material/photo (Must be recent pictures without any part of face/eyebrow/ear being blocked) to make your visit as smooth and as short as possible. There will be a number system that will give out waiting number on first come and first serve basis.

Date: Feb. 5th, Saturday.

Time: 3:00pm to 7:00pm

Location: University of Memphis Engineering Building Lobby and Auditorium.

3795 Central Avenue

Memphis, TN 38152

Please help spread this news as much as possible so more people can be informed about this visit. We would like to see as many Chinese in Memphis and surrounding cities be benefit as possible. Though the Chinese Embassy official did emphasize that they can only work for the people who actually live in the territory states that are covered by the Chinese Embassy. The people from state of AR, AL, MS and etc. that are covered by Houston consulate, please do NOT make the trip because your request will NOT be processed!!!! I don¡¯t want anyone to waste their time and gas to drive to Memphis and get disappointed.

I beleive, if you provide a prepaid express mail envelope, the Embassy or Consulate will mail the new passport to your home, no need to stick around, or return to the Embassy to pick up.

The visa services cannot provide passport renewal service, unless you are older than age 65, and that too may be suspended.

http://www.visarite....se_Passport.htm

They may provide a pick-up service though.

I have heard that they offer this service and that is what we were told prior to her going there to renew. However, they absolutely refused to do this and stated in was never their policy to mail the passport. So Li had to fly back a second time (both times at our expense by the way.) Now get this: three weeks after Li's second trip, a friend of ours went to the exact same office as Li did; provided an envelope and they mailed hers back. It reminds me so much of when I lived in China. One day an office (gov't office) would tell you one thing; the next day they would tell you the exact opposite. Of course, GUZ has been known to do that as well.

To Hank and others concerned:

Below is a portion of the email I just received from John Chen, President of GMUCA.

He also attached an application for passport renewal (in Chinese) and requirements such as cashier check amount, photos, etc., again in Chinese.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chinese Embassy has confirmed that they will send an official to come to Memphis on Feb. 5th to work on Passport renewal, living certificate, and Travel Permits for children (if either parent has received a Green Card or a U.S. Citizen, then their children can not apply for Travel Permit). Please read the attached instructions and prepare the necessary material/photo (Must be recent pictures without any part of face/eyebrow/ear being blocked) to make your visit as smooth and as short as possible. There will be a number system that will give out waiting number on first come and first serve basis.

Date: Feb. 5th, Saturday.

Time: 3:00pm to 7:00pm

Location: University of Memphis Engineering Building Lobby and Auditorium.

3795 Central Avenue

Memphis, TN 38152

Please help spread this news as much as possible so more people can be informed about this visit. We would like to see as many Chinese in Memphis and surrounding cities be benefit as possible. Though the Chinese Embassy official did emphasize that they can only work for the people who actually live in the territory states that are covered by the Chinese Embassy. The people from state of AR, AL, MS and etc. that are covered by Houston consulate, please do NOT make the trip because your request will NOT be processed!!!! I don¡¯t want anyone to waste their time and gas to drive to Memphis and get disappointed.

Thanks Clayton,

I received the same email from John Chen last night so I guess we'll head that way Saturday morning.

So now it's Saturday instead of Sunday as was posted on the Embassy's website............

375 miles to Memphis vs 505 miles to DC .....Hope it works out for us both, and we don't have to make a return trip for pickup, like Mick's wife.

Maybe we'll see you there.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Thanks for any help in advance.

As I am aware that it is possible to renew a Chinese passport at the consulate offices throughout the U.S., I am also aware that they travel from state to state and it is possible to get it renewed at a temporary location.

My wife has been watching for the dates and locations on the embassy's web-site and they are now within reach of our city.

Today they are in Lexington, Ky. and next weekend they are in Memphis, TN.

I am unable to translate what she has found on the embassy's site.

Here is the link where she found this info:

http://www.china-emb...ywzn/lsyw/gzrz/

You can see the first listings with the numbers on the first line showing 2 and 20, second line 2 and 13 and so forth. We are interested in the one reading 2 and 6 which is in Memphis as we are in Nashville.

Can someone help get this translated or get me to the right site where I am able to read the same in English?

I will need to be able to learn of the forms and money order amounts, etc. for this process to be completed.

If I have placed this in the wrong forum, I am hoping a mod can get it relocated properly.

Thanks so much,

Clayton & Wen-Li

Here is an update for our Chinese Passport experience , which was initiated by this Post by Clayton.

LIly and I travelled to Memphis TN from Knoxville on Saturday morning Feb.5, 2011. We arrived at the Engineering

Auditorium at the University of Memphis at about 2PM, where we met Clayton and his wife who had arrived earlier and

already picked up their number. There were a couple of hundred Chinese in the Auditorium by this time and it appeared to be mass confusion.

Apparently there was only one rep. from the Embassy there, and she was overwhelmed. We finally found out where to get our number (It was in a different line than where Clayton's wife got hers)

and proceeded to wait. After we had waited a couple of hours, I decided to go check into a hotel in the area, that I had scouted on the internet. (When we left Knoxville I had thought that we might be able to travel

back the same day, If all went quickly).......but I could see that wasn't going to happen.

About 6pm, Lily made it to the front of the line, and the Embassy Lady looked at her application and stamped it.........That's it.

We were instructed to send the stamped application and Lily's passport to the Embassy within 2 weeks, along with a self addressed pre-paid Fedex or USPS envelope and $60 cashiers check.

The following week, I did just that, but fearing that this wasn't going to go smooth.

Yesterday, Lo and behold, my self addressed Fedex Envelope arrived and in it was Lily's new Passport

plus her cancelled old one.

So the trip to Memphis, instead of DC turned out to be a successful one.........just didn't expect the huge crowd in Memphis.

Clayton: Feel free to add to this.

Hank