Diabetes and diet with a Chinese spouse.

warpedbored

NO BEER so I switched to Scotch (it is the only liquor that does not have sugar)

I would disagree I beleive Liquors, such as rum are made with sugars, but the yeast ferments the sugar and changes it to alcholol...it doesn't have carbs(sugar), but does have calories.

Try Bud 55. It's around 2% alc. Drinking and driving is no problem.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys might want to check out eating black rice. Seems it has less carbs than white rice and has a lot of nutrients. I know when I eat it, it relaxes me instead of giving me the burst of energy that white rice gives.

Worth looking into... I don't eat much white rice, sometimes brown rice. We'll see.

The wife had made some black rice awhile back. She mixed it with black beans and lotus seed (similar to peanuts).

It was very tasty and about 10 minutes later I was snoozin in the chair. Good for a late night snack and sleep. I don't think it is in the standard grocery stores but can be found at Asian supermarkets and Whole Food stores.

I found it last night at the Korean Farmer Market... didn't buy it yet. Wife discouraged me for some reason, cant remember why. I may try it in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I just tried recently that is good is Shirataki Tofu Noodles. The ones I got were House brand, but there are others. They are "noodles" made from tofu and mushroom. Only 2 grams of carbs in a whole bag of them. They come bagged in a liquid, kind of like tofu does. You rinse them thoroughly, then put them in boiling water (I add some salt, soy sauce and onion powder) and boil for 3 minutes. Then drain them and let them dry. Then you use them in any recipe like normal noodles. Other than being a little more al dente then I usually go for, they seemed just like noodles to me. I can't vouch for how they would work in italian recipes, but they seem to do well in stir fries and the like.

One thing I just tried recently that is good is Shirataki Tofu Noodles. The ones I got were House brand, but there are others. They are "noodles" made from tofu and mushroom. Only 2 grams of carbs in a whole bag of them. They come bagged in a liquid, kind of like tofu does. You rinse them thoroughly, then put them in boiling water (I add some salt, soy sauce and onion powder) and boil for 3 minutes. Then drain them and let them dry. Then you use them in any recipe like normal noodles. Other than being a little more al dente then I usually go for, they seemed just like noodles to me. I can't vouch for how they would work in italian recipes, but they seem to do well in stir fries and the like.

This sounds like something I'd like to try. My wife sometimes buys noodles made out of green beans. they taste good and they are not green.