Yes, we're done - with the USCIS that is... Were you expecting bad news?

We got approval for Removal of Conditions today. Since we're not going for citizenship, we won't really need to deal with USCIS any more (except for 10 year renewals).

We might have been able to do it without CFL: but, I'm glad we didn't have to. We are grateful to all of you who helped and encouraged us (even if you didn't know you did and it was just posting useful information that we read).

We are stoked!!! Thank you CFL!!!

Congrats for reaching this blessed milestone. I vividly remember when we finally cast that yoke from around our necks - it seemed it took forever (and it did - about four-plus years to be exact). Great news, indeed.

Great news Richard.

Shucks damn, it only seems like yesterday that you guys were going to the interview.

Best wishes for your future...keep a big smile cookin.

tsap seui

please don't be insulted anyone, I'm just nosey....to be BLUNT:

You are older than her, so she will be alone in the USA many years after you transition to the "underworld".

If she is not a "US Citizen" can she continue receiving your social security benifits?

Can she receive medicare and medicade?

No problem. It's easy to explain:

We are both 'older' (and hey, I'm only 10 years her senior). My wife worked for 25 years in China before coming to America and has earned a full pension there. She still owns her house in China and she wants to buy a storefront business there for the family to run (which is very doable).

If I die before her, likely, if we both go due to natural causes; she will have all of my properties and assets, which are fairly substantial - we are doing well. She has said she would liquidate everything in America and move back to her hometown if I were gone. Given her pension (which has full medical), home, business, and assets from America: She would be very financially comfortable.

If she gave up her Chinese citizenship, she would be throwing away her 'safety net'. She said she has no desire to stay in America without me (kind of a sweet thing to say).

please don't be insulted anyone, I'm just nosey....to be BLUNT:

You are older than her, so she will be alone in the USA many years after you transition to the "underworld".

If she is not a "US Citizen" can she continue receiving your social security benifits?

Can she receive medicare and medicade?

No problem. It's easy to explain:

We are both 'older' (and hey, I'm only 10 years her senior). My wife worked for 25 years in China before coming to America and has earned a full pension there. She still owns her house in China and she wants to buy a storefront business there for the family to run (which is very doable).

If I die before her, likely, if we both go due to natural causes; she will have all of my properties and assets, which are fairly substantial - we are doing well. She has said she would liquidate everything in America and move back to her hometown if I were gone. Given her pension (which has full medical), home, business, and assets from America: She would be very financially comfortable.

If she gave up her Chinese citizenship, she would be throwing away her 'safety net'. She said she has no desire to stay in America without me (kind of a sweet thing to say).

But that is an interesting question...can a non-US citizen survior spouse get U.S. SS benefits? The SS website states that the surviving spouse needs a SSN and that non U.S. citizens must be in residence to receive benefits. Another website explains it this way: http://www.ehow.com/about_7410755_social-security-benefits-non_citizen-widow.html

Also interesting that your ex-spouse (in addition to your current spouse) can get survivor benefits if you were married for more than 10 years. I did not know that. No wonder the system will be underfunded.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04/25/451874/how-social-security-spouse-benefits.html

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)