FAMILY IMMIGRATION I-864

Does anyone know what the financial requirement is for the sponsor on the I-864 per family member? I seem to recall that when we were doing all the "stuff" for Mei it was rather high even back then. Someone has told my wife and her sister that the requirement for each individual is merely 6K. I suspect that someone is dead wrong on that part of it. It seems like it'd be much higher.

Does anyone know what the financial requirement is for the sponsor on the I-864 per family member? I seem to recall that when we were doing all the "stuff" for Mei it was rather high even back then. Someone has told my wife and her sister that the requirement for each individual is merely 6K. I suspect that someone is dead wrong on that part of it. It seems like it'd be much higher.

Here is the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

The magic number you are looking for depends on what your point of reference is.

When you sponsor someone, you basically add them to your household.

So you have to be above the number for everyone in your house plus the amount you are sponsoring.

Say your household is you two and you sponsor her sister or brother.

Then you are required to make over $22,887 a year.

Now the figure her friend is eluding to is most likely how much to add for each person above that amount.

This appears to be $4,675.

Say you sponsor her mother later. Add 4,675 bringing your need to 27,562.

So in a way, by point of reference you are both correct.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

125% above povertyline.

About $4,675 per dependent

Chart is here: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

In the 48:

2: 18,212 (Sponsor and one dependent)

3: 22,887 (Sponsor and two dependents and/or immigrants)

4: 27,562

5: 32,237

AK: $5,850

HI: $5,375

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

The 2010 guidelines for a family of 2 is a total of S18,212, for a family of 3 it's $22,887.

The 1-864 guidelines state:

Add $4,675 for each additional person.

I hope that is a pleasant surprise to you.

tsap seui

The 2010 guidelines for a family of 2 is a total of S18,212, for a family of 3 it's $22,887.

The 1-864 guidelines state:

Add $4,675 for each additional person.

I hope that is a pleasant surprise to you.

tsap seui

I have a headache now........lol They (Mei and her sister) will now expect me to prepare all the paperwork and I better not make any boo-boo's......lol After almost 4 years for Mei, the I-601 and all the other hoops we went through I'm not sure my pea brain can handle anymore.

I have a headache now........lol They (Mei and her sister) will now expect me to prepare all the paperwork and I better not make any boo-boo's......lol After almost 4 years for Mei, the I-601 and all the other hoops we went through I'm not sure my pea brain can handle anymore.

:lol: No problems, ask anything you like!

Now that you've offered that.....lol Once all the fees have been paid, how long do we have to get all of this back to the NVC?

Now that you've offered that.....lol Once all the fees have been paid, how long do we have to get all of this back to the NVC?

NVC will hold cases up to 1 year.