Tourist visa for Chinese boyfriend?

Hi all!

I'm an American living in Beijing with my boyfriend of two years. My boyfriend's native Chinese, and while we've traveled around China together, he's never left the country. We're not looking to immigrate, but I was hoping someone here would have some experience or advice for me...

I'm hoping to be able to take a trip home with him next summer, but the only option available to us at the moment (I believe) is a Tourist visa, which from what I hear is near impossible to get - especially for unmarried young men. He doesn't have any family in the States, aside from a few distant relatives perhaps, but none at least in my area.

Chinese friends who've traveled to the U.S. before tell me that I shouldn't tell the Visa office that we're together; I should have him sign up with a tourist group who'll arrange hotels, dates, necessary documents, etc., and then upon arriving in America just come and stay with me.

I remain somewhat... skeptical? For one thing, I don't want to lie to the Visa office. I also think it would be incredibly difficult, considering that we live together.
I also like to hope that the following reasons might help our case with the Visa office:

- Commitments to China: We both have steady jobs here in Beijing: he in the computer dept. of a nice hotel, for the past year; me as a translator in a large Chinese computer game company, for the past 6 months. Also his entire family all live here.
- Support in the States: We'd be staying with my folks, who could easily provide an invite letter and proof that they'll support us during our trip
- Commitment to and history with each other (ie. we won't run off and disappear): We've been together for 2 years, including the 6 months I had to return to the States to finish school. My parents and his parents (and his grandparents, later on) have met before and know each other.

I've been told that this is just wishful thinking, and maybe it is, but I'd love to hear someone's opinion or advice! Before you all decided to get married, did you ever attempt to get a Tourist visa for your fiance/fiancee-to-be?

I'd love to hear specifically:
What's the best way to go about applying (apply independently, tour group, visa agent)?
What are the most important things to mention or bring up in an interview?
I hear there's an option for foreign friends of applicants, who can go to the Visa office, meet with an officer, and vouch for them. What are the most helpful things to say or bring to one of these meetings?

Thanks so much for looking!

Another member "Smalltoe" came to the USA on a B2 visa and did not leave adjusted status, this is what the consulate is looking to prevent, not sure how she did it, but getting a B2 when having a relationship to a US Citizen, or LPR as in Smalltoe's case is not impossible.

The easiest way is money, If you can provide a minimum of $15,000 USD is on deposit in Bank Of China they can freeze your assets while you are on tourist Visa, and you lose assets if you do not return.

You have to somehow show the Officers you are coming back to China, and money and property speak loudest.

eblock he does not have to come here in a tour group. If he does they will keep his passport until he leaves to return to China and that is to assure that he stays with the tour group and goes wherever they go.

If Beijing even know that you exist the B2 visa will be denied as they will CERTAINLY view it that he is intending to immigrate.

He will have to demonstrate that he has strong ties to Chine, money in the bank, property and strong ties to his family etc. etc.

If your boyfriend has a boss that does business with Americans companies he could also help a great deal, say that he is coming to America for training within the company, if he is willing. The company in America will have to write an invitation letter for him. If you parents write an invitation letter for him the cat will be out of the bag. He can get up to a 12 months visa for this purpose but I don't think that he will be able to get a 12 months visa for tourism.

If he gets it make sure that he follows the visa rules exactly as stated and returns when he is suppose to and personally on the first trip I would not ask for an extension just return when he is suppose to. Once he has done that he will in all probability be able to get another visa even if they know about you.

Larry

Thanks for all the responses, guys! And for the helpful links. I'll be PMing the people whose 'success stories' you mentioned!

From that you all showed me, it looks like our best bet is to:

1. Not mention me, or us

2. Prove that he has financial assets, which he can freeze for his trip

3. Prove that he has strong ties to China (family)

4. Try to get a company, or a relative in the US, to vouch for him

5. If possible, get a tourist visa for another country first, to prove to the VO that he's left and come back before

I've got a few questions and concerns regarding each, if anyone's got experience or tips to offer on any of them!

1. Would the VO ask outright if he has a girlfriend or fiancee? Would it be better to just lie, or tell them the truth and definitely doom himself to rejection?

2. Can his parents lend him this money from their own savings? Or would it look really suspicious to go from about 10,000RMB to 10,000USD all of a sudden? Will the VO need to see his bank records, or just a statement of his frozen assets?

3. How do you go about proving exactly that you don't plan on abandoning your family?

4. His current company actually has a program where they can send you to Florida to work at Disneyworld for six months, but unfortunately only at $4 an hour (how is that legal?) and I live nowhere near Florida. If he gets one of his distant relatives to write an invitation, then the VO would expect him to actually fly over to visit that relative, correct? Would it seem suspicious to then go from there to my home a state away, and stay there for most of the time?

5. Is it really difficult for a Chinese citizen to travel to Japan? And would a previous one- or two-week trip to Japan help his case at all?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks much.