In-laws visitor visa denied 4 times

Just asking ... do they have the same requirements if the in-laws are English, French, Russian, Mexican?

If they live in a country that has a visa waiver program with the USA, then NO, however, if they had done something that would make them inadmissible, like an overstay in the past, then they would have to apply for a visitor's visa perhaps with a waiver.

So:

UK -- NO

France -- NO

Russia -- YES

Mexico -- NO

• 3 weeks later...

Just asking ... do they have the same requirements if the in-laws are English, French, Russian, Mexican?

Doesn't matter what country they are from. If it is not a VWP country then the VO's are instructed to treat every application like an intending immigrant. Even though the news tries to make it out as the illegal immigrants are people sneaking across the mexican border, the vast majority are people who came on a visa and stayed. The system is crazy and stacked against all of us who are trying to follow the rules.

Doesn't matter what country they are from. If it is not a VWP country then the VO's are instructed to treat every application like an intending immigrant. Even though the news tries to make it out as the illegal immigrants are people sneaking across the mexican border, the vast majority are people who came on a visa and stayed. The system is crazy and stacked against all of us who are trying to follow the rules.

Its not a failure in screening out potential stayers, anyone could end up staying if they desire. The issue is enforcement. As soon as the I-94 is up they should start hunting you down. When they apply they should require a letter from a "responsible party" representing the inviter or who they are staying with. That person should be the first point of contact when the date expires.

Since everyone knows it is not enforced, its an open door policy.

Personally I feel they need to get serious on enforcement but make the legal path much faster and more reasonable. After having been through this mess I can see how people want to sneak across the border!

• 2 weeks later...

I read a discussion in another thread about freezing Bank assets. It is an interesting idea, yet it sounds vaguely similar to what two US Citizens told me regarding B2s for Chinese in-laws, "Post a Bond."

Nonsense, I thought. And then somebody told my wife that somebody told them "Oh, yes, this is how we got my parent's B2 approved. We posted a bond."

Well, there's still good swamp land for sale in Florida.

As for freezing bank assets, it misses the point about being poor. You've gotta have assets to freeze. And, they better be substantial assets. In which case, freezing them is a moot point. If you've got Bank assets, you've got property, and probably a high paying Government job. Or the parents retired from a high paying job.

Worse, as an option, if you can freeze your own account you can also unfreeze it, or walk away from it. How does that help insure Intent?

We talked to a brother sister couple (about the same age) outside the consulate one year. They applied to go visit the same person. Outcome? the brother was approved, the sister was not. The difference? You got it, he had substantial income and assets, she did not.

And anyway, at no time as any Interviewing Officer looked at ALL the available evidence, just as in a K-1 Visa. 'Why do you want to go?' 'Show me your income...Denied.' Every time. In spite of Income and Real Property asset changes since first denial.

Well, the bottom line is, you gotta apply. Some people get approved.

The In-laws own two houses. They have two other daughters with two son-in-laws and two grandchildren. They each have their own, very small retirement income.

If your collecting anecdotal data, as my wife and I do, I'm sure you'll find that any body still working in any professional job will get a visa. Anybody who retired from the government or a big business and has the luxury of a 'large' income will get a visa.

This year, at the Grand Canyon, we met a couple with 2 kids who got a visa so they could come and travel with the one high school age kid who was here in summer camp. No invitation from anybody. Oh, yes, they both still work at good jobs. Also at the Grand Canyon we met several College age girls who came here to visit.... my wife talked to them at length. There was a group of them. They apparently all applied as a 'group' but without any formal tour or tour guide.

Where do your in-laws live? Guz is so corrupted man.

I think it also depends on the region that you live in China. If you live in a high income area, then the chance of getting approved is very high. My in-laws went through the interview in 5 mins and only a few questions were asked. It took me a lot longer to prepare the application and documentation for them. They are also both retired and my wife is the only child. btw, They are from the shanghai area. I was told by my wife that people in that area don't want to come to the u.s at all. Life there is much more exciting than it is here.

The In-laws own two houses. They have two other daughters with two son-in-laws and two grandchildren. They each have their own, very small retirement income.

If your collecting anecdotal data, as my wife and I do, I'm sure you'll find that any body still working in any professional job will get a visa. Anybody who retired from the government or a big business and has the luxury of a 'large' income will get a visa.

This year, at the Grand Canyon, we met a couple with 2 kids who got a visa so they could come and travel with the one high school age kid who was here in summer camp. No invitation from anybody. Oh, yes, they both still work at good jobs. Also at the Grand Canyon we met several College age girls who came here to visit.... my wife talked to them at length. There was a group of them. They apparently all applied as a 'group' but without any formal tour or tour guide.

... If you live in a high income area, then the chance of getting approved is very high...

Although I agree with the intent of what you are describing, Living in a high income area is irrelevant. The relevance is, do the applicants have above a low income level, or not?

What I see reported so often on this site, from our friends and from visitors we meet out on the road is, "yes, my in-laws (we) passed so easily." Rarely is a single detail given regarding previous job levels or income levels or property owned.

Why is previous job important? Without exception, the data (which isn't much) we have collected on passed visitor visa applicants includes retired (or, still working) doctors, pharmacy workers, teachers, government workers or any other kind of professional. There is not a single blue collar worker, farmer or any other low income level applicant with a non-working spouse on our list of known approved applicants.