Hell passport

Back in 2001 in Dalian my wife, the local members of her family and I all walked up on the mountain to the grave of Ping's grandmother. I have told about her before, that she did not even have a name as a small baby, and when she was old she was recognized as someone who had had some profound experiences in her meditation. It was a moving event for me as Ping had already told me that she had spent so much of her life with her grandma. The family members burned that special paper the color of cardboard and made piles of it on her headstone and put a rock on top to hold it down. As we were walking down the road going back a piece of that kind of paper blew in the wind and landed in front of me. I picked it up and tried to make a joke about it, but they were not amused. I carried the paper with me for a few seconds thinking I would keep it as a souvenir, but let it go in the breeze after a moment, thinking maybe some unremembered one would like to have it.

• 1 month later...

I asked my wife once why that money said, "Bank of Hell". She, with a straight face and even speaking tone responded that, "All Chinese go to hell." Heaven is apparently for Buddhas and gods and things. She didn't have the full scoop because she's a Gen-X-er like me and was taught from birth by the CCP teachers to ignore superstitions about the afterlife.

Of course, I'm Catholic and we pay for masses to be said for the sake of our dead. I've lit candles and said rosaries for the departed so I guess it's all the same thing.