FIRST Name Change - Order of Operations?

We are going to the district court next week and file the name change petition to change her first name (and middle name to maiden). Then we will get a state ID, change a lot of things that I already had to put down her legal name (insurance, bank, credit cards) and use the new name for the I-485 and SS card change but I think I read the SS card change should be done later after they get word of the I-485?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, we are about done... here is how it went.

We got married in Florida so there on the license there is no place to change name. Only maiden name is shown.

Petitioned for name change in our local county and returned 2 days later to court (today) and was granted no problem.

Then we got the State ID but they were concerned that we had not changed over SS card yet but the guy said he could find a way to do it. When he found out later she had a Michigan ID already he said that would have been a LOT easier so redid it using that. Somehow he said they link the one ID to the other to make sure they are tracking her movement. :S He also had done a SS name check right there and showed me ont he screen that she matched up OK with the SS# and the old name (well... thats what it said on the card so why should that not happen?)

So then we went to the bank to get the name changed and so on we go...

As recommended here, we won't file to change on SS# until after the AOS is in the hopper for a little bit.

All the vaccinations are done. They checked her immunity with a blood test and found MMR and Varicella was already done so will bring that lab report and documentation of the tetanus and flu shots which she did get to the civil surgeon next week.

I-485 and I-131 are out now. I did everything in her new name with an explanation on the cover letter and copies of the name change order in both packets. Also, mentioned the alias on the I-485, so we will see if that is all OK and they don't balk at any of it. Also the CCP comes up again in the questions, so included a copy of the CCP explanation letter (revised to refer to present time and mention that dues are not being paid now effectively terminating membership in 6 months). The J1 FRR question comes up so good thing she did completely cover the period so she doesn't have to go back to fulfill her "sentence". :)

She is fully enjoying her new life and setting up her new home... all her friends back in China are very envious. She will go back in warmer days this year to visit with the AP. We hope she gets the green card before we go to Grand Cayman on vacation in November, otherwise I think she will have to get a UK visa which would be a pain... (GC is part of the British West Indies (B.W.I.))