Hubby's Sister Student Visa

Hi all,

My sister-in-law (hubby's sister) is interested in applying for a student visa to study English in America for about a year. She is currently living in Japan and is married with a young child (2 years old). She was working in Japan, but she quit her job for personal reasons. Many of the jobs that she has applied for required at least minimal English and she speaks no word other than "shopping". If she were to come over, her husband and baby would stay in Japan while she studies here. Have any of your spouses' families applied for student visas? What kind of problems have you all encountered/what are the potential issues? How does my husband's immigration affect her chances of being approved? Will she have a difficult time proving that she has no intent to immigrate? Other facts that might help you all are that she is 31 years old, has been married for about 3 years, has lived in Japan for about 7 or 8 years, she speaks fluent Mandarin, Mongolian, and Japanese, graduated from college in China and graduate school (law) in Japan. That's all that I can think of right now. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

My sister-in-law (hubby's sister) is interested in applying for a student visa to study English in America for about a year.

She will need a sponsoring institution for a J Visa.

How does my husband's immigration affect her chances of being approved? Will she have a difficult time proving that she has no intent to immigrate?

Your husband's immigration should have no bearing on whether she is approved; should being the key word. Since her husband and baby would be staying in Japan, she can use them to show "strong ties."

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by Ryan H (see edit history)

She will need a sponsoring institution for a J Visa.

That should have said F1, student visas for academic study is F1, not J. My bad. :bangin: :Dah:

Thanks. Getting a sponsoring institution will not be the problems so much as the other things that I am concerned about. I hope the baby and husband in Japan proves no intent to immigrate...

Hi all,

My sister-in-law (hubby's sister) is interested in applying for a student visa to study English in America for about a year. She is currently living in Japan and is married with a young child (2 years old). She was working in Japan, but she quit her job for personal reasons. Many of the jobs that she has applied for required at least minimal English and she speaks no word other than "shopping". If she were to come over, her husband and baby would stay in Japan while she studies here. Have any of your spouses' families applied for student visas? What kind of problems have you all encountered/what are the potential issues? How does my husband's immigration affect her chances of being approved? Will she have a difficult time proving that she has no intent to immigrate? Other facts that might help you all are that she is 31 years old, has been married for about 3 years, has lived in Japan for about 7 or 8 years, she speaks fluent Mandarin, Mongolian, and Japanese, graduated from college in China and graduate school (law) in Japan. That's all that I can think of right now. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I have a colleague (sp?) at work and his wife's job (as I understand it) is pretty much processing student visa's for people attending USC ( :boxer: , sorry but I'm a Bruin), talking to her a couple times at social events it sounds like there is not much they can't overcome if the sponsoring institution wants them. It sounds like in your case it should not be a problem and talking to her a week ago at another colleague wedding, she was mentioning that many following visa's were issued for spouses and children and it sounded pretty easy according to her. I will reach out to her and ask specifically regarding your sister in-law circumstances and let you know what I find out.

Edited by HongKong2LA (see edit history)

I have a colleague (sp?) at work and his wife's job (as I understand it) is pretty much processing student visa's for people attending USC ( :boxer: , sorry but I'm a Bruin), talking to her a couple times at social events it sounds like there is not much they can't overcome if the sponsoring institution wants them. It sounds like in your case it should not be a problem and talking to her a week ago at another colleague wedding, she was mentioning that many following visa's were issued for spouses and children and it sounded pretty easy according to her. I will reach out to her and ask specifically regarding your sister in-law circumstances and let you know what I find out.

Thank you so much! I kind of feel she won't have too many issues since her child and hubby will still be in Japan, but you never know!!