Permanent Resident?

Hello Everyone,

So a couple of weeks ago I received and RFE. They required an Official Marriage License. I sent that in the next day. Today I received another letter from USCIS stating Welcome To The United States for my Wife. It states that she will be receiving her Permanent Resident Card within next 2 weeks. So I assume this is the 2 year Green Card? We didn't even go to an Interview? Does this mean she can travel overseas?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

Hello Everyone,

So a couple of weeks ago I received and RFE. They required an Official Marriage License. I sent that in the next day. Today I received another letter from USCIS stating Welcome To The United States for my Wife. It states that she will be receiving her Permanent Resident Card within next 2 weeks. So I assume this is the 2 year Green Card? We didn't even go to an Interview? Does this mean she can travel overseas?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

Were you K1 or CR/1 visa, and how long have you been married?

I'm assuming she entered on a K1 and you guys are completing AOS. If she applied for and received advanced parole (AP), which is done prior to completion of AOS, then she can already travel overseas.

If she does not already have AP, then once she has her Permanent Resident Card, she can travel overseas.

Edited by Ryan H (see edit history)

It is very common for a K-1 to AOS and receive a green-card WITHOUT and interview.

Yes the Green-card allows travel out of the country, however visa requirements still apply for a Chinese national to visit other countries, EXCEPT Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, these places accept the US Green-card in place of a visa to visit.

Very Nice. So After she gets her Permanent Resident Card what is the next step?

Thanks All and Dan :D

Enjoy the next 2 years, during this time build up documentation and evidence for the eventual filing of an I-751 for removal of conditions.

You will file and I-751 within 90 days before the 2 year card expires.

Thank you very much Dan Da Man! Have a wonderful day! :lol:

Vinny,

It is worth it to read through what you need 2 years hence just to make your life easier.

It is very uncommon to get 10 year cards denied, but having all your ducks in a row when the time comes can feel very comfortable.

I had a friend who was on his 3rd marriage, and was a little worried, so he didn't put his wife's name on the house, and didn't put her name on his bank account.

Well, their marriage is good, and they are happy together, but when he went to file for 10 year card, the USCIS ask him for a bit more "proof" than what he had.

Ultimately it all worked out because many of us at church etc. knew he and his wife were a good couple and were willing to vouch for him... never the less it was more stressful than needed for them.

All I am saying is read up and be prepared.

Best wishes to you and your wife for a long and happy married life.