Mother In Law Visit

Im back after spending a year buying a house. The market is very competive but that's another story.

The wife is interested in having her mother come for a visit.

Does anyone have the current requirements (paperwork) and timelines for processing?

I did look at Tine's pinned post but that seems a bit dated.

thanks

Im back after spending a year buying a house. The market is very competive but that's another story.

The wife is interested in having her mother come for a visit.

Does anyone have the current requirements (paperwork) and timelines for processing?

I did look at Tine's pinned post but that seems a bit dated.

thanks

Tine's post is still valid today as when it was origionally posted.

Only change is the consulate uses DS-160 in-place of the older DS-156/157

http://travel.state.gov/visa/forms/forms_4230.html

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/visa-application-form2.html

Timeline tends to be around month or so. The NIV unit at any consulate or the embassy in Beijing can handle it, also no longer required to apply at specific consulate or embassy based on where the applicant resides in China.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here's the deal.

The mother in-law visit is on however we would like to have my wife's best friend from childhood visit also.

The best friend's family is an extended one and I gave her niece away at her wedding (father didn't get passport in time to make it to VC BC).

She also has a son and owns three business's.

Question:

Should I write separate letters or include both in single letters?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

My mother in law and wife's friend were denied visas today, 214 b.

My wifes friend said the VO just took a quick look at the docs and I suspect that this was just random.

Does anyone think we can get an approval if we resubmit right away?

Need more evidence of ties to home country, and how will support self while in the USA.

You did provide an I-134?

A good read: http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_2173.html

http://faq.visapro.com/Consular-Processing-Nonimmigrant-FAQ4.asp

My mother in law and wife's friend were denied visas today, 214 b.

My wifes friend said the VO just took a quick look at the docs and I suspect that this was just random.

Does anyone think we can get an approval if we resubmit right away?

Sorry to hear about that.There is no time restriction on resubmitting an application after a refusal.

•  
  • Where was the interview?
  • Has the overall circumstances changed?
  • Does the MIL own a home in China?
  • Has your wife returned to China to visit her mother?
  • Does your MIL have a job?
  • How many childern and grandchildern does the MIL have in China?
  • Is the MIL married?
  • Does she own a car?
  • Does she have any long-range plans in China (retirement)?

I'm suspecting it may have been because we did not supply the I-134.

I'll have my wife call home again tonight and see if I can get some more info on how the interview went down.

Basicly she said it was less than ten minutes and the VO thumbed through "our" papers (without reading) and then issued the denial. She mentioned the VO did not look at the papers submitted by our mother in law and friend.

I'll have my wife call home again tonight and see if I can get some more info on how the interview went down.

Basicly she said it was less than ten minutes and the VO thumbed through "our" papers (without reading) and then issued the denial. She mentioned the VO did not look at the papers submitted by our mother in law and friend.

My in-laws interviewed last month for B-2s and were both approved but they pretty much said the same thing that you did. The VO was not really interested in any of the paperwork that they had brought with them - the VO did not want to see any of their property ownership or bank account information. The only thing that the VO did ask to see was the I-134 that I had filled out for them - he took a good look at it and then returned it to them before telling them that their visas were approved. He was also interested in seeing some of the pictures that they had brought with them showing other family members in China - my MIL showed him these after he asked how many family members they still had in China.

My in-laws interviewed last month for B-2s and were both approved but they pretty much said the same thing that you did. The VO was not really interested in any of the paperwork that they had brought with them - the VO did not want to see any of their property ownership or bank account information. The only thing that the VO did ask to see was the I-134 that I had filled out for them - he took a good look at it and then returned it to them before telling them that their visas were approved. He was also interested in seeing some of the pictures that they had brought with them showing other family members in China - my MIL showed him these after he asked how many family members they still had in China.

Thanks.

That helps to confirm things. With a little more research, they look at all applications as Immigrant Visas and then apply the burden of proof to the applicant that the intent is for Non Immigrant.

With that said, the lack of the I-134 was a show stopper.

I'll try to get some more info from the folks in GZ as I could not get a word in last night when my wife was on the phone. emotional Cantonese...I didn't stand a chance. :D

• 4 months later...

Mission complete.

My mother in law returned to GZ after a 30 day visit.

She flew with my wife on the way over but was on her own for the trip home.

We arrainge for her to have assistance at HKG since she only had an hour to make a connection; went well as she and her bags made it to CAN.

On piece of advice. I defered a few home projects until her visit, completing them while she was here. That way she could tell my wife what a hard working husband I am. :D

One piece of advice. I defered a few home projects until her visit, completing them while she was here. That way she could tell my wife what a hard working husband I am. :D

COOL! http://static-forums.visajourney.com/public/style_emoticons/default/good.gif

One piece of advice. I defered a few home projects until her visit, completing them while she was here. That way she could tell my wife what a hard working husband I am. :D

COOL! http://static-forums.visajourney.com/public/style_emoticons/default/good.gif

Now that's impression management at its very best. Good job! :lol: