Cheap Tickets

IMO you really just need to search as many sites as possible; I've gone over three times: once I bought from Expedia, and twice from flychina.com. I have contacted agents all three times but have yet to find them cheaper (though I suppose they will do the work for you of looking around a lot in case you don't want to do that yourself).

Not knowing where she's going exactly, you might also consider alternate routes. I.e., I'm going to Hong Kong in December -- some days going to Guangzhou instead is $150 or more cheaper, other days it's not. To save $150 I'll ride the train from Guangzhou to Hong Kong... :)

I've found more important than the site you buy from (all the search engines pretty much have the same searches) is the time you buy -- prices can change by $200 in one day either way. I've never gotten a good hold on exactly how that works. And somewhere I read it's cheapest to fly on Tuesday (!).

Personally I like the flychina.com site but I can't defend that it's better.

I'll be interested in what others say.

My wife is looking to buy tickets to go home during the Chinese New Year... anyone have suggestions to find good prices?

My experience over the last 8 years - is not to book closer than 3 weeks either side - sometimes 2 weeks can be OK, if you can route around - as others have said - and of course buy in Advance. I know I might take grief from this comment - but even business class goes from about $2500 to $3200-$3500 each way for under 21 day golden week air fare. Strangely, I find that after golden week(s) it's the same 14-21 days - because so many people travel back.....and many extend their stay. Best of Luck - but there is NO easy solution before and after/during these time periods. What you can make up in saved airfare you will spend on extra food and hotel/gifts to relatives - by staying longer--at least that's been my experience.

Good Luck

My experience over the last 8 years - is not to book closer than 3 weeks either side - sometimes 2 weeks can be OK, if you can route around - as others have said - and of course buy in Advance. I know I might take grief from this comment - but even business class goes from about $2500 to $3200-$3500 each way for under 21 day golden week air fare. Strangely, I find that after golden week(s) it's the same 14-21 days - because so many people travel back.....and many extend their stay. Best of Luck - but there is NO easy solution before and after/during these time periods. What you can make up in saved airfare you will spend on extra food and hotel/gifts to relatives - by staying longer--at least that's been my experience.

Good Luck

Hey do you know how much it cost to upgrade from economy class to first class on a international flight? Just to clarify, I am talking about right there at the terminal before you board the aircraft.

Edited by Amaro (see edit history)