Dinosaur eggs

Some friends of ours in China have invested some money in Chinese Dinosaur eggs. When my wife told me about this, I cautioned of a scam and advised that it would be illegal to ever import this to America. However, she insists it good idea, and I know our friends are fairly level headed. Did anyone have any experience with this?

I think it's a niche market at best i.e. price driven as collectors' item. YMMV but I do agree with you that it's money down the drain.

http://dml.cmnh.org/...r/msg00054.html

http://www.twoguysfo...s.com/dino2.htm

Agency quashes sale of Chinese dinosaur eggs

http://www.stonecomp...y/eggstudy.html

Oh yeah, I even saw the titilating expectation set tha DNA could be extracted from the eggs or bone. That's total :bullshit:. DNA is a very large, very fragile (outside of a viable cell) molecule and there's no way that any from the dinosaur could be found after millions of years. Maybe bacteria or virus but even those would be of recent vintage.

But I only had a B.S. in Biochemistry (minor Chemistry, Physics) and neither that or a PhD on this topic can trump what another Chinese woman said because we all know the latter is always the absolute truth. dry.gif

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

That's basically what I'm thinking. I think the real problem is to make real money on it, you probably have to get it out of the country, which from what I am reading makes it highly illegal. It is a niche market, no doubt..

That's basically what I'm thinking. I think the real problem is to make real money on it, you probably have to get it out of the country, which from what I am reading makes it highly illegal. It is a niche market, no doubt..

Notice this has been going on since 1996. So the real money (in this scam/collection) has long been made. Any 'value' attributed is standing on a very weak pedestal.

I'm curious to see/hear more what happens with the eggs. I just thought it was very odd and strange, and never heard that before. (BTW: it's hilarious if they say you could extract the DNA). Certainly not something I would invest in, but again as yuanyang put it, there is no way I can trump what a Chinese woman would say about it...

Some friends of ours in China have invested some money in Chinese Dinosaur eggs. When my wife told me about this, I cautioned of a scam and advised that it would be illegal to ever import this to America. However, she insists it good idea, and I know our friends are fairly level headed. Did anyone have any experience with this?

BK,

I understand you skepticism as to this being perfectly legitimate operation. Sounds like you have your head on straight. These scams have been going on for year in China, or at least when I first arrived in China. Examples are:

1) Famous antique watercolor paintings in Guilin, and of course a person, which just happens to "meet" you in the marketplace, has knowledge of where these treasures are located at too! And X does mark the spot on their "special map!" :lol:

2) There are many antique jade necklaces, incense burners, jade bracelets in for sale in Chengdu markets. BTW, these same people I have met with the same damned map too! Idiot tourists!

3) I haven't traveled extensively in Beijing, Shanghai, etc, etc. However I will wager that the same treasure map is in each one of those respective cities, too!

I attempted to find a link I had a long time ago regards to the export of anitiquities from China. I believe that you needed to have a special permit from PRC and governing agencies to pull his trick off. Here is one link that might be helpful: My link (right click and open in a new window). I can't find what the punishments are; but I believe that China takes a really dim view of any and all antiquities leaving its borders. I believe that the penalities were extreme. Even if the punishments were minimal, imagine the crap that PRC can put into anyone's day attempting to exports fossils from China.

IMHO, this is about the last thing I would want to raise the ire of the PRC against myself.

This being said it still sounds like a scam. Yeah! I know what you say about how easily someone can be suckered in.

If the both of you want a substantial return on investment capital; there is is a ski resort in Nebraska, with 7 seven runs on it, which I might be able to get you in on at the basement-level. The required capital is $75K only, and promises a return of 125% on a two year basis. Obviously, marketing & advertisement will cost extra, to get it up and running, and to obtain maximum return on initial investment. :roller:

Good luck!

Fast edit and forgot to add one thing. Down in MO, KY, and several other states, there something also called "dinosaur eggs" and/or "thunder eggs." They are scientifically called geodes. Here is the link for them: http://www.rocksfork...R&M/geodes.html. They are just crystallized minerals. I have seen these crystal geodes sold up and down the West Coast and are very easily found in China and Korea towns. I have seen them in China, (the Chinese geodes) are usually sliced thinly, polished, and then mounted on a stand. I don't know about what the market is like, but I suspect that it is a very slim market niche.

I asked my wife once, and she merely scoffed, and considers them as one more thing that gathers dust, and she has to clean. YMMV.

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Hey, Cerby.... Out here in Oregon thunder eggs (I think) are the state rock. There's places over in central Oregon where you can find them. Ugly on the outside, beautiful on the inside. Like me.

Don,

Damned sure if you aren't right! I went on line to research it, and I found this link: http://www.statesymb...Thunderegg.html .

However! "Ugly on the outside, beautiful on the inside. Like me." UHHHHH! I don't know about this, Don.

My uncle used to cut the found geodes apart with a metal band saw, then he would thoroughly wash the outside and inside of the geode with a toilet brush to bring out the crystal's beauty.

You know.......Sort of like cleaning a toilet bowl. Everyone like a clean toilet, after all! :rotfl:

Might I suggest going for the new state bird of Oregon, the spotted owl, instead of the Oregon State rock! There are reasons:

1) No one cleans you with a toilet brush, and most especially on the inside, to improve your beauty inside or out! Albeit, as a spotted owl, there is always some "do-goody, tree-hugger," which might give you the stray enema now and again! They are simply worried about you, while you remain peacefully perched on your branch!

2) You are endangered, and watched after. Who cares about a geode anyway!?! All you have to worry about is a chainsaw, and you can always flyaway from this. A band saw is something different.

3) And finally, is this a geode you are sitting on, or you are looking at in your avatar? Perhaps, we could sell you!

Bokwein, forget about the ski resort. Let's sell Don!

Yep! Back from the ROK, and finally feeling my mettle.

Dave

Somebody once told me they'd like to buy me for what I'm worth and sell me for what I think I'm worth.

That was a compliment, right? :huh:

RIGHT!

BUUUUWWWWWWWAAAAHHHHHHHAAAA!

OH GOD! You're killing me!

BUUUUWWWWWWWAAAAHHHHHHHAAAA!

"for what I'm worth and sell me for what I think I'm worth." Yahhhhh! And I'm quiet, and not opinionated!

Buwahhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa!

Sniff, sniff......

Bokwien; I'm sorry I took away from you serous question with you OP. My advice advice still remains the same. Unless you talk your wife into selling dinosaur geodes like Don.

However! Don is offered at a cheaper price. The very least you have is someone to wax your car on the weekends, take the garbage out!

Don! I see that you haven't lost your sense of humor at all have you?

So, what's the connection between geodes and dinosaur eggs ??!? Is it just the "thunder eggs" name?

Randy,

That is the only connection, and you got it right. When I first saw the thread, and I saw the term, I automatically went back into what I knew as "dinosaur eggs." When I read the post, I realized that Bokwien was talking about a very serious subject, and the conversation morphed from there.

However, It still sounds like a scam, and exporting any and all antiquities from China, I would have a very, VERY leery eye at! Most especially at dinosaur remains from the Gobi Desert. I don't believe that China would have any sense of humor at them being exported in the least. Ergo; it is probably a scam anyway.

The geodes, and spotted owls was my chance to get at Don, in a good-matured way. After all the Middle Kingdom did have some sense of humor. Sorry, that I detracted from the OP.

Dave

Bokwien; I'm sorry I took away from you serous question with you OP. My advice advice still remains the same. Unless you talk your wife into selling dinosaur geodes like Don.

Well thankfully it is not us buying them! A friend of my wife (and consequently my friend) and her husband bought them (not that it matters, but they are both university educated people). I don't really know all the details, but it sounded like the "friend of a friend of a friend" had found these eggs [4 hours by car outside of Wuhan] and is looking to sell them (which I believe that in itself is an illegal act in China). From talking to my wife last night, it sounds like they will be cleaned and just be kept at their apartment in China. I'm not 100% sure they intend to resale. I'm hoping to get some photos/details soon... It could truthfully just be geodes.

On 8/19/2010 at 8:37 AM, donahso said:

Hey, Cerby.... Out here in Oregon thunder eggs (I think) are the state rock. There's places over in central Oregon where you can find them. Ugly on the outside, beautiful on the inside. Like me.

013-2.jpg

Esterel%20Thundereggs.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)