Back In China

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What fun, eh? Oh the memories of the Shenyang consulate and especially the marriage office we went to. It was inside a hotel and upon entry our noses were assaulted with the smell of raw sewage.....oppps, no traps on any of the drains.

Lil' rabbit and I still laugh about our marriage in the "Ca Ca Hotel"...down the road a bit was a sign on another hotel that said "Ture Love"...We had our favorite taxi driver take us the hour drive from our lil' burg to Shenyang....we were all laughing and he knew his way around. Lil' rabbit and I laughed and giggled thru-out the whole marriage thing,....I hesitate to call it an ordeal as it was hilarious to bounce from one of the girls working behind the green marble top to the next girl, and then go back to one we had seen previously....they actually had to wake one of the girls up...so she could take our money. :lol:

I wouldn't trade the experience for nuttin', even the consulate was a laughin' hoot. :lol: I liked the way the Chinese guards gently guided you around, and as it was winter time for us, they had on their furr hats and stiffly stood at attention, like they were guarding something of actual importance. :P Pomp and circumstance, all for the bozo's inside the building.

Congrats David, looks like yer having a ball in Chinertucky, home of the red stamp, and awe inspiring wimmins.

tsap seui

Congratulations Daiwei!!! I told Haihua the news and she said "I know." :huh: I asked her how she knew and she said "they must be marry." I think she is a part time fortune teller. :lol:

Same thing happened to me, we were married for a day and I didn't know it. :unsure:

Haihua said please tell Lulu she said ni hao and gōng xǐ and does she have access to yahoo messenger or windows live messenger?

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

Hao Chi

In my short stay so far, I have been able to sample most of my favorite dishes; spicy fish, spicy duck head, spicy duck neck; pig ear; chicken heart; dog meat. Tonight I was honored with a new dish with dog meat; dog penis. meat is meat after all... let's not let it get in the way of a post or two. BTW: you should try it but probably not tell anyone.

Visa Vultures

Outside the consulate is a road full of immigration "helpers" who will tell you anything and get you anything you want. All I can say is: The US government should stop looking in the US for illegal immigrants and just look across the street of the consulates... enough work for a few years.

While just walking, we were approached a few times with questions of "visa anyone"... Yes, for a price you can get any visa possible; honestly, I don't doubt it. I've seen inside transactions similar to this for other stuff so this is possible in my opinion. It's that it's laughable to happen so close to the consulate; Welcome to China.

While I went inside, lulu was subjected to the vultures, which for once they where not aware of the trap they fell into themselves... Visa Valtures (VV) and Lulu (LL). You'll notice her lack of desire to talk to them and reverse psychology.

VV: you need a visa to go to the US?

LL: no

VV: are you going through some process to go to the US?

LL: no

VV: We can get you some visa help.

LL: Why do I need help?

VV: if you can go soon, you want to go?

LL: I do not care about that

VV: Why not care that?

LL: Why care that?

VV: The sooner you can go the sooner you can get money!

LL: Money for what?

VV: [blank look and stunned for a moment; strategy change]

VV: if you want to leave china, you can go quickly now.

LL: Go for what?

VV: [realize they are back to their original dead-end argument; strategy change]

VV: Do you communicate with your man?

LL: Of course. Why ask that?

VV: You don't need to be able to talk to him. Just need to get to US.

LL: Why would I be in a relationship where i cannot communicate with a man?

VV: You just need to go to the US to make money?

LL: Money for what?

VV: [blank look for third time since they realize the are back to dead-end argument third time]

VV: Do you want to go to US quickly? [desperate repeat since all alternative attempts are used up]

LL: Go quickly for what?

VV: [realizes this is an Abbott and Costello, "who's on first" routine they are now caught in; now really desparate]

VV: You can go to the US with any man, or without a man. If you want to go quickly?

LL: Go quickly for what?

VV: [speechless and thinking this is the most impossible woman ever. Exit stage left]

Later Lulu told me, she now understood what I tried to explain about a year ago. Many go to US for reasons other than a relationship... well.. many is relative and could be "most" but let's not definite it too much.

Today in a restaurant the 'boss' knows lulu and is so happy we came. Said to me, "many chinese women just want any man to get to the US and will divorce after they get a greencard; does that scare you away?". Welcome to China. The vultures follow the carcass but the carcass comes about from a kill... It's a dog eat dog world afterall.

Dog PP clarified

The dog 'pp' was not cut up into small pieces mixed in with the other meat. It was served as a cold dish and there is no mistaking what this is :o Oh I should add: My friend who came from another city was quite intriqued to try the dog pp and after one mouth full realized he just ate the 'tip'.. and asked if that meant he had given the dog a 'bj' ? :huh: Chinese are always students at heart and wanting to learn english slang B)

I am not a fan of cold meat dishes and it seems they like that here, particularly for dog meat. The dog meat I prefer is cubed and boiled as a soup. I think I'll give up on Liaoning dog meat as it isn't the style I like. I can get it in another city if I want, which we may visit prior to my return back to the US.

River Swimming

After 9 trips to china, I had the first experience to swim in a river. A group of us went to remote location with a camper and once someone suggested we swim, I was down to my whitey tighties (actually they are black) before you could give a show of hands. With the river on one side, wide expansive grass cut into patters on the other and mountains surrounding the whole area, the setting brought about a deep sense of calm and serene. One felt as if they could just pitch a tent and live there.

Founding of the [Manchu] Qing Dynasty

We drove 1.5 hours to see landmark area considered the origin of the Qing dynasty, in of all places just outside of Fushun, east of Shenyang in Liaoning Province. This is the birthplace of the historically acknowledged Qing founder, Nuerhachi. Although the Qing period is reflected as having 12 emperors, the firs was self-proclaimed to help consolidate their opposition to the Ming dynasty. The second emperor (the son and really the first emperor of 'Qing' proper) moved the group to Shenyang and changed the consolidated forces name from 'Latter Jin' to 'Qing'. But since the victors write the history, the origin of the Qing is the Latter Jin forces setup in Hetuala town and so Hetuala gets bestowed as the 'first capital of Qing'.

Actually a peasant uprising took Beijing and the Qing army in turn took over from that regime. The Manchu were a small ethic group which ruled for around 300 years and is known for the pig tail hair custom and the Qipao dress. They strongly embraced confucianism and although the Jesuits were in court for a while, the famous 'Rites Controversy' caused the missionaries to be expelled due to the pompous catholic position and the west was ousted from any influence to the chinese court thereafter. Foreign intolerance grew, the trade exchange widened and we see the effects event today of some of this. lot of interesting history to this entire period leading up to the fall in 1911 when a 2 year old was on the throne.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

does she have access to yahoo messenger or windows live messenger?

she's not really using the computer and we may go on a short tour here soon.

The flooding in the northwest deterred us from going to Sichuan province. There has been tremendous rain here the last few days (in the northeast) and some streets and bridges were flooded so vehicles could not pass. Getting home from the Qing Landmark two days ago in the rain was as dangerous as I have experienced. Then we took my friend to the Shenyang train station yesterday and almost could not get there due to the local flooding.

Marriage over before it even started!

Seems that your registration of your marriage means squat; well, except for the trip there, time to fill out a form and pay a fee, plus get that glamour shot of the two of you from the neck up. We ASSumed THAT day was the marriage 'day' and therefore we must be married :huh:

It turns out that your marriage 'day' is the day you decide to get your lazy ass out of bed and make a trip to pick up the red book... I think I'll just call it 'red book day' to remember the irony of thinking that I was married when I wasn't even married... Now that I have the red book in hand, I am knighted as married... So I guess the marriage 'night' gets a second chance to improve on the first one B)

Manhood lost to Boyhood lost to Girlhood

Seems that nether land rash is back... and I was re-classified as a 'little boy' to a 'little girl' now... enough said.

Murphy loves to play with communication

If there was ever fodder for Murphy it would be communication with a chinese. For example: Asking a chinese on the street for directions is like an exercise in talking to a mime; you'll get some hand movement and at times no words. I love the guys who don't break their stride and just point over their head in some direction as if that helps. Those that are too helpful look like a third base coach calling for a steal of home plate.

There would be too many examples to give but I will say they are like roses; best by the dozen.

The lack of communication may be an invention of governments. And as all good citizens are wont to follow instructions of the highest authority, it seems chinese government folks like to mime as well. Again too many examples but you'll hopefully will live and learn...

Jiu

No discussion of china is complete unless there is some mention of "jiu" (alcohol). In the past I have made no secret of my involvement with zhong guo jiu (chinese alcohol). In my previous trip I was dubbed 'da jiu gui' (literally, big drinking ghost--which is sometimes translated as drunkard but the chinese feel something very different; to drink with a ghost/spirit is beyond mankind. Not that I am that capable but for some reason my body absorbs this must better than the chinese and so I can generally drink more than they can; even thought I normally never drink this grain alcohol crap but it seems convulsion-to-bliss in about a week.

All my early experience in china is 38-42%; the lower I can last a night; the latter would kill me half way through.

My last few trips to Dong Bei (North East) is to the famous drinking land where 38% is considered juice; 42% is considered mother's milk; 46% for teens and 52% the beginning of manhood. If you can get to 70% your truly 'Dong Bei Ren'.

If i get some time, I'll tell some drinking stories...