Getting Driver's License in State of South Carolina

Vinny

Hello All,

My Wife would like to get her driver's license so I do not have to take her to grocery store everytime or just go shopping. Many States only offer English exams only. Looks like the State of SC is one of them. I've been told that no interpreters are allowed and no Chinese test available. Aside from having to put my Wife through kindergarten again, anyone have any thoughts on the best course of action? I can always have her mash buttons until she passes the knowledge test but then we still have the road test. Can she take her knowledge test in a State that offers Chinese then take road test back in South Carolina?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

Hello All,

My Wife would like to get her driver's license so I do not have to take her to grocery store everytime or just go shopping. Many States only offer English exams only. Looks like the State of SC is one of them. I've been told that no interpreters are allowed and no Chinese test available. Aside from having to put my Wife through kindergarten again, anyone have any thoughts on the best course of action? I can always have her mash buttons until she passes the knowledge test but then we still have the road test. Can she take her knowledge test in a State that offers Chinese then take road test back in South Carolina?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

Driving privledges are a states rights thing and are granted by your the state you reside in, The DMV is NOT a national thing so no your state will not accept testing done in another state.

The only way you would be able to do that would to move and reside in a state that does DMV in Chinese like NY or perhaps California, live there long enough to get license, and then move back to SC and get licenses changed, states do issue a DL based on having a DL from another state. (NOT a practical idea.)

Hi Vinny,

My wife asked me to write to you to share our experience. When she arrived here in 11/2008, she was very slow to get into really studying to get her driving test. She had become very interested in trading Chinese stocks on line and spent most of her nights, all night, studying that and working on it. She spent only a little time on studying the driver's manual. She told me the book was too difficult and too boring. Here in Virginia, they don't have a Chinese translation, so I got her one from California. I told her she should read and study the California book to begin to understand American traffic laws, but that ultimately, she must read and study the Virginia book in English if she really wanted to be successful in getting her license and in becoming a safe driver. Of course, I was willing to help her study some, but I told her that I couild not do it for her, that she would have to read and study on her own, too. She will tell you herself that she really did not believe me. She thought she could just get someone who could help her understand the words, i.e. translate for her, learn how to drive, and get her license. She watched our son study the book, take both tests, pass and become a good driver. She took the written computer test two times and failed it. After the second time, the DMV worker told her she had one more shot at it. If she failed again, she would have to go to school. I reminded her that if she went to a driving school, it would cost us money but the teacher would still be an English speaker who would not be as patient as me and who would not know the limits of her vocabulary either. She finally understood, buckled down and really studied for one month, took the book test, passed it, and got her learner's permit. Then, I began to teach her how to actually drive. It took her a while to get ready for the road test, and it took her two tries to pass it, but eventually, she got her license. Now, she is a fairly good driver, though not as good as our son. Time and experience will take care of that. Bottom line, English, English, English!!!!! Our wives must become fluent. It is the key to their futures here in America in all things. English is the key that opens the door to all endeavors. But it does not end there. English provides the medium for learning all the things that we take for granted. Our wives must learn the American way - our laws, our customs, our norms. Does that mean they have to stop being Chinese? No, of course not, but they do have to learn enough about our culture to learn how to function in it. There is no short cut for that. English is the way.

Hi Vinny,

My wife asked me to write to you to share our experience. When she arrived here in 11/2008, she was very slow to get into really studying to get her driving test. She had become very interested in trading Chinese stocks on line and spent most of her nights, all night, studying that and working on it. She spent only a little time on studying the driver's manual. She told me the book was too difficult and too boring. Here in Virginia, they don't have a Chinese translation, so I got her one from California. I told her she should read and study the California book to begin to understand American traffic laws, but that ultimately, she must read and study the Virginia book in English if she really wanted to be successful in getting her license and in becoming a safe driver. Of course, I was willing to help her study some, but I told her that I couild not do it for her, that she would have to read and study on her own, too. She will tell you herself that she really did not believe me. She thought she could just get someone who could help her understand the words, i.e. translate for her, learn how to drive, and get her license. She watched our son study the book, take both tests, pass and become a good driver. She took the written computer test two times and failed it. After the second time, the DMV worker told her she had one more shot at it. If she failed again, she would have to go to school. I reminded her that if she went to a driving school, it would cost us money but the teacher would still be an English speaker who would not be as patient as me and who would not know the limits of her vocabulary either. She finally understood, buckled down and really studied for one month, took the book test, passed it, and got her learner's permit. Then, I began to teach her how to actually drive. It took her a while to get ready for the road test, and it took her two tries to pass it, but eventually, she got her license. Now, she is a fairly good driver, though not as good as our son. Time and experience will take care of that. Bottom line, English, English, English!!!!! Our wives must become fluent. It is the key to their futures here in America in all things. English is the key that opens the door to all endeavors. But it does not end there. English provides the medium for learning all the things that we take for granted. Our wives must learn the American way - our laws, our customs, our norms. Does that mean they have to stop being Chinese? No, of course not, but they do have to learn enough about our culture to learn how to function in it. There is no short cut for that. English is the way.

Damn good post Yemmie. :)

tsap seui

Thank you Yemmie!

I tell my Wife she needs to try and focus learning as much as she can. She keeps saying it is so hard. It's like going back to kindergarten for her. I tell her she needs to know enough to get by. She has Rosetta Stone available, she has my smartphone with very good ESL programs she can learn. Think I am going to tell her your Story and maybe she will follow your Wife's footstep :D

Vinny and Qing