We'll after waiting over three weeks now, no SSN Card / Numbers. :blink: So, today we went to the local social security office and had a nice "chat" with them. According to them (Social Security) she was NOT in the system as we first were told by the Department of Homeland Security and the Wonderful people at the POE. So, we applied directly in the office and will have the social security numbers in three - four days. With the cards to follow. :rolleyes:

Just a note, if your wife comes on a CR1, go to the Social security office soon after arrival and just apply there. I wish I knew this and would have done this nearly a month ago. But alias, another life lesson learned with our Wonderful Social Security office.

Dan & Yonghua

We'll after waiting over three weeks now, no SSN Card / Numbers. :blink: So, today we went to the local social security office and had a nice "chat" with them. According to them (Social Security) she was NOT in the system as we first were told by the Department of Homeland Security and the Wonderful people at the POE. So, we applied directly in the office and will have the social security numbers in three - four days. With the cards to follow. :rolleyes:

Just a note, if your wife comes on a CR1, go to the Social security office soon after arrival and just apply there. I wish I knew this and would have done this nearly a month ago. But alias, another life lesson learned with our Wonderful Social Security office.

Dan & Yonghua

Like I said in the other thread, there's no reason to wait thew 30 days if you don't want to - the SS office will know if the USCIS has already applied for you.

Same here...we went to our SS office this morning (waited an hour) and told the nice guy there that we've been waiting 42 days for an SS card...he told us that he's never heard of the automatic feature in the DS-230 working. He then searched Ying's info on his computer and found that her SS card was in process and should arrive at our POB within days...he was very surprised and we were happy not to have more papers to fill out. He gave us a printout with her new SS number...what I was dreading turned out pretty good. BTW on the way to the SS office we stopped at the PO and found a second, "Welcome to the US" letter from our friends at USCIS, in Mesquite, TX....green card to follow. ZZ

We went to the SS office a few days after my hubby entered the US. We applied for the SS card, even though we checked the box to automatically get the card. When we went to the SS office, they processed it and said he wasn't in the system. Once we went, it took less than a week, I think. I think that it is always best to just go in. If not, we might have waited for a long time, too.

When we did Hui's SS card it was an adventure also. She applied for the SSN card we waited 1 month and no card showed... we wait 2 more weeks then head down there. SSN officer says well it was mailed out to her 5 weeks before. After a few questions he sends it out again, this time listed in Care of With my name on the letter. Turns out with SSN cards if the persons name is not listed on the mail box the letter cariers will not leave the card.

When we did Hui's SS card it was an adventure also. She applied for the SSN card we waited 1 month and no card showed... we wait 2 more weeks then head down there. SSN officer says well it was mailed out to her 5 weeks before. After a few questions he sends it out again, this time listed in Care of With my name on the letter. Turns out with SSN cards if the persons name is not listed on the mail box the letter cariers will not leave the card.

A little off context, but I'd suggest adding your lao po to your mail address asap.

That will solve this ss issue, and USCIS will not be delivered if the person isn't on the mailbox either.

Also, what do you say at remove-conditions when the vo says "how can you claim you live together when your wife can't receive mail at your address?"

A little off context, but I'd suggest adding your lao po to your mail address asap.

That will solve this ss issue, and USCIS will not be delivered if the person isn't on the mailbox either.

Also, what do you say at remove-conditions when the vo says "how can you claim you live together when your wife can't receive mail at your address?"

Are you talking about a PO Box? I never registered my wife's name for our mail at the house (didn't know I was supposed to) and these documents came with no problem at all.