Green Card benefits for Taiwan?

I know that a US Green Card holder can visit Canada without a visa, but I'm curious if holding a green card (and flying from the US) would loosen the restrictions for a mainland Chinese visiting Taiwan. There's no near-term plans, but WeiLing is hoping that she can visit Taiwan some time in the future (and probably before citizenship). Anyone have experience with this?

National China (People's Rep.) (CN)

Residence U.S.A. (US)

Destination Chinese Taipei (TW)

Visa required, except for Holders of "Taiwan Entry and Exit Permit" (yellow paper in colour) issued by Chinese Taipei.

Additional endorsement required when For details, click here

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 90 days for holders of an APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC), provided the back of the card states that it is valid for travel to Taiwan,

together with a valid passport.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&page=visa&NA=CN&AR=US&PASSTYPES=PASS&DE=TW&user=DL&subuser=DELTAB2C

Okay, so visa would be required. That site is pretty unclear (and when I view it, multiple clauses are left unfinished--I'm not sure if that's my connection or just the site being strange), so would we have to follow with a tour group as most mainland Chinese are required to? Or would we be able to get tourist visas and do our own thing? I did notice that the site says exit tickets (continuing on a journey or returning) are required...

Okay, so visa would be required. That site is pretty unclear (and when I view it, multiple clauses are left unfinished--I'm not sure if that's my connection or just the site being strange), so would we have to follow with a tour group as most mainland Chinese are required to? Or would we be able to get tourist visas and do our own thing? I did notice that the site says exit tickets (continuing on a journey or returning) are required...

The only places a US Green-card is accepted as waiver for visa requirements is Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands. Other GC acceptance are places that use to require a transit visa like UK, and Hong Kong the green card allows visa less transit in many places, and for Hong Kong up to 7 days without visa.

Delta Airlines passport tool is very useful reference.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp (Plug in Citizenship, Residence (GC = USA), Destination, and optionally Connecting)

The only places a US Green-card is accepted as waiver for visa requirements is Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands. Other GC acceptance are places that use to require a transit visa like UK, and Hong Kong the green card allows visa less transit in many places, and for Hong Kong up to 7 days without visa.

Delta Airlines passport tool is very useful reference.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp (Plug in Citizenship, Residence (GC = USA), Destination, and optionally Connecting)

I'm sorry for jumping in on this topic with a question but do I understand you correctly that my wife Fang (has 10 year green card) and I CAN travel to the Caribbean? How about the Bahamas? I would love to take my sweet Fang someplace out of the U.S. but thought this was not possible with a 10 year green card? Thank you.

I'm sorry for jumping in on this topic with a question but do I understand you correctly that my wife Fang (has 10 year green card) and I CAN travel to the Caribbean? How about the Bahamas? I would love to take my sweet Fang someplace out of the U.S. but thought this was not possible with a 10 year green card? Thank you.

??? You can take her anywhere you want. Other than the countries Dan listed, most will require a visa for a Chinese citizen.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

??? You can take her anywhere you want. Other than the countries Dan listed, most will require a visa for a Chinese citizen.

Sorry for my ignorance! So, for example, my wife and I (wife's Passport recently renewed) CAN travel to the Caribbean or the Bahamas with my wife just needing a Visa? (I travel to both for work and only need my passport). Is it difficult for Fang to get a Visa for the Bahamas?

Sorry for my ignorance! So, for example, my wife and I (wife's Passport recently renewed) CAN travel to the Caribbean or the Bahamas with my wife just needing a Visa? (I travel to both for work and only need my passport). Is it difficult for Fang to get a Visa for the Bahamas?

You're ALMOST with us now - she can travel to Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean Islands (be sure to check the exact country on Dan's link - for the Bahamas -

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 3 months:

- for holders of Hong Kong (SAR China) passports.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 30 days:

- for alien residents of the USA, provided holding their

Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551).

the green card will also allow her to re-enter the US at any time. I don't think anyone's reported any trouble getting a visa, but she won't need one for less than 30 days

You're ALMOST with us now - she can travel to Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean Islands (be sure to check the exact country on Dan's link - for the Bahamas -

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 3 months:

- for holders of Hong Kong (SAR China) passports.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 30 days:

- for alien residents of the USA, provided holding their

Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551).

the green card will also allow her to re-enter the US at any time. I don't think anyone's reported any trouble getting a visa, but she won't need one for less than 30 days

For less than 30 days to where?

Sorry Randy!

Bahamas is in the Caribbean, yes NO visa needed just show I-551 green card to enter and return.

For less than 30 days to where?

Sorry Randy!

Bahamas for residents of Hong-Kong 30 days.

Note: I-551 = GreenCard not a Hong-Kong resident

Bahamas allow stays for US citizens, Green-card holders, and HK residents up to 30 days (A normal Vacation Visit) without visa.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)