My wife arrived via an IR1 visa. Do we need to go SSN office to apply for SSN or they automatically going to mail to us in a couple of days?

Thanks

Welcome to the USA and CFL.

You will need to go to the SS office and fill out the forms, etc.

Welcome to the USA and CFL.

You will need to go to the SS office and fill out the forms, etc.

Actually if you checked the box requesting SSN on form DS-230, simply wait 30 days or so after entry to the USA for a card to arrive in the mail, of it fails to show up, then visit SSA and order one.

Same goes for green-card.

Actually if you checked the box requesting SSN on form DS-230, simply wait 30 days or so after entry to the USA for a card to arrive in the mail, of it fails to show up, then visit SSA and order one.

Same goes for green-card.

Thanks Dan.

Like I said many times before: I didn't understand the process when I was in the midst of it, and I still don't get it now . :blink:

At least my advice is harmless. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We went to our SS office this morning (waited an hour) and told the nice guy there that we've been waiting 42 days for an SS card...he told us that he's never heard of the automatic feature in the DS-230 working. He then searched Ying's info on his computer and found that her SS card was in process and should arrive at our POB within days...he was very surprised and we were happy not to have more papers to fill out. He gave us a printout with her new SS number...what I was dreading turned out pretty good and nice to know the system is beginning to work. ZZ