China vows to stop restaurant reuse of cooking oil

I remember watching the Food Channel that reuse the same oil is good business in restaurants (good taste in frying). But selling the oil is not safe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100720/ap_on_re_as/as_china_gutter_oil

"Recycled food oil is China's latest food-safety scandal that has worried consumers and brought fresh promises of government action."

I remember watching the Food Channel that reuse the same oil is good business in restaurants (good taste in frying). But selling the oil is not safe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.co...hina_gutter_oil

"Recycled food oil is China's latest food-safety scandal that has worried consumers and brought fresh promises of government action."

They can do like us, BIO-Diesel!

Here is a good reason to avoid used cooking oil. :o

Yunny

I have observed this first hand.

Luckily, I had Ying to guide me to safe restaurants. ;)

A joke from the same site:

I accidentally stepped on a cobra when I was standing at the side of the road the other day. The cobra was apparently very irritated and gave me a very hard bite. To my surprise I was fine, but the cobra unexpectedly died afterward. It puzzled me at first, and then I remembered all the recycled oil and milk with melamine I have consumed. That poor snake made a big mistake underestimating my ability to handle toxins.

Edited by slw268 (see edit history)

Yunny

I accidentally stepped on a cobra when I was standing at the side of the road the other day. The cobra was apparently very irritated and gave me a very hard bite. To my surprise I was fine, but the cobra unexpectedly died afterward. It puzzled me at first, and then I remembered all the recycled oil and milk with melamine I have consumed. That poor snake made a big mistake underestimating my ability to handle toxins.

Man O man have times changed here and the people. I can remember 5 years or so ago this article would have gotten you banned or set upon the wolf pack but today's members are much more educated/informed and many have lived in China and know the true China.

I'll say again as I have said many times that China is a great place but there are some things like this that need refining as well as other things.

Before anybody jumps me, as they usually do, let me say that America is not perfect either as I have said many times. I am sure that someone could find something equally disgusting about America but this one is about a revolting issue in China. I for one am concerned about very much. When I am there my mother in law will not let me eat in a public place or restaurant if she knows it.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Man O man have times changed here and the people. I can remember 5 years or so ago this article would have gotten you banned or set upon the wolf pack but today's members are much more educated/informed and many have lived in China and know the true China.

I'll say again as I have said many times that China is a great place but there are some things like this that need refining as well as other things.

Before anybody jumps me, as they usually do, let me say that America is not perfect either as I have said many times. I am sure that someone could find something equally disgusting about America but this one is about a revolting issue in China. I for one am concerned about very much. When I am there my mother in law will not let me eat in a public place or restaurant if she knows it.

Larry

You know, Larry, I have said here too many times that I hate China.

Well, it's not really hate. I just had a real bad time and have had

to deal with some serious issues since I've left.

The problem was I've seen so much of this. and as a business owner

so much corruption, and having a wife with Breast Cancer a horrible

health care system and so on.

But the truth is now that I am away I've had time to reflect and I don't

really hate it, but I won't live there again. (At least not for 4 years).

Point is, different viewpoints make this site what it is. To paraphrase you,

this place has matured and is more tolerant about opposing opinions.

Well, for the most part. ;)

Edited by slw268 (see edit history)

You know, Larry, I have said here too many times that I hate China.

Well, it's not really hate. I just had a real bad time and have had

to deal with some serious issues since I've left.

The problem was I've seen so much of this. and as a business owner

so much corruption, and having a wife with Breast Cancer a horrible

health care system and so on.

But the truth is now that I am away I've had time to reflect and I don't

really hate it, but I won't live there again. (At least not for 4 years).

Point is, different viewpoints make this site what it is. To paraphrase you,

this place has matured and is more tolerant about opposing opinions.

Well, for the most part. ;)

Very well said my ole friend.

Larry

Good info. Not worth eating at street vendors.

Yunny

Yunny

Since the site is blocked in China, I've copied the text to here. The pictures are pretty disgusting though, and I might know at least one shop that engages in this kind of practice... WeiLing got sick each and every time she ate there-- And she's Chinese! Needless to say, we avoid any shop that even looks remotely similar.

I was surfing the Internet in a cybercafe one day and read a news story about recycling cooking oil. After finishing the article, I told the manager of the cybercafe, "We have that kind of machinery in our village." The manager said to me, "If you can take some pictures and put them the web, it could easily become one of the hottest posts on the Internet." I was encouraged by what he said, so I took a hidden camera along with a friend of mine and shot some pictures to share with you all.

1. One way to collect the oil to be recycled is just to shovel the oil out from the drains. It is very difficult, but it is the only way to do it if you do not have a partnership with the restaurants.

2. Most of the time you need to have a connection with the restaurant if you are in the business of recycling oil. Of course you will need to make them a good offer.

3. The lady in the picture is my friend's aunt. She washes dishes in a restaurant. She also takes the recycled oil when the containers are full. We took a detailed picture and hope it does not ruin your appetite.

4. She can get two to three barrels of oil when the restaurant is busy.

5. Her mother-in-law will help process the oil after she takes the oil home.

6. Her father in law is clenching a plastic bag that is dripping oil into the big kettle. Apparently he does not want to waste one drop of it.

7. Pig¡¯s offal is another source of oil that can be recycled. To get this you will need to have a good relationship with the pork vendors too.

8. Do you know how to make friends with a pork vendor? Feed the pigs with the old oil from the restaurant then use whatever is left for your recycling!

9. This is almost the final product. I know it does not look perfect, but trust me they have ways to make it look much better. That is a secret they will never tell.

10. This man is buying the recycled oil.

11. This recycled oil will soon be back on the table. My friend told me they sell the oil for three Yuan per pound.

12. I hope you are lucky enough not to be served food cooked in this oil next time you eat out!