Interview Day is Here

Updating our original thread... so we got word the visa is approved and waiting for the callback letter. She checked the tracking number by calling in and they gave a specific time it was mailed but tracking shows nothing so I guess maybe it was given to the P.O. but as we have seen here, EMS tracking is not always kept up to date with some people getting the package before tracking appears! We are trying to make flight arrangements but she is flexible to roll out as soon as she gets it. We are just wondering if she needs to be there Mon-Wed 2p-3p as I did find another person who posted they had to go back for fingerprints and docs but that the other box on the callback letter where nothing needs to be done I think didnt list a specific window of time? I'm not sure, so we will have to see what the letter says when we get it.

She has determined that she really doesn't need to give as much notice to work for departure as she previously thought. She is trying to be a good employee and give 3-4 weeks notice but I keep telling her that 2 weeks is customary in the U.S. and they have known a long time that this was coming. She just doesn't want to burn any bridges since she is giving up a well coveted tenured position at the university! I don't blame her, in case she needs good recommendations from the U.S. if she restarts any of her career in the U.S. (not planned though).

I had already booked her a flight to the U.S. for 11/20 so we are shooting for that so she can be here for Thanksgiving! We just hope no hiccups along the way. We have a backup flight scheduled for 12/24! She will be coming in Shanghai->San Francisco->Seattle.

One possible hiccup is they take another look at the J1 and inquire about the 2yr FRR but her return from the U.S. was 8/20/08 so I think even if they look they will be satisfied. If they are worried about her U.S. trips counting against it, we have a letter prepared with copies of the passport to present that demonstrate 11/11/10 is the official eligibility date. So it appears the timing worked out just right by luck.

She had answered YES on the GNI-2 to the question that included various inelgibilities including being an axe murderer but they never inquired about it. I presume the purpose of that question is to tip off the interviewer to ask about it and if the interviewer signs off on it I guess its water under the bridge. The documentation we have though will be good to represent at AOS as I have heard that the 2yr FRR could come up again there as well and force a trip back to China before a green card is issued!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She kept an eye on the tracking info and managed to interceot the letter at the post office. The letter states the hours as Mon-Wed 1:30p-3pm to return whether you have docs to provide or not. So she is heading down Sunday morning so she can be there on Monday to turn it in. No additional docs requested. The last minute airfare and scoring hotel reservations during apparently a convention week in GUZ cost some change. We debated having the Yangs turn it in for the 1000 RMB charge but can do it quicker and react to any last minute problems if she goes herself. So hopefully she has visa sent back to her to Shanghai by end of the week!

Well, another little snag, of course with GUZ!

She goes in Monday at 1:30p as directed on the letter and they tell her, oh you need to come back on Wednesday at 2:30pm to get the results and do the EMS label. But she had no other docs or information requested, the letter said visa is approved, come with passport. So now she has to change her flights, take more time off work, buy two more hotel nights at 557 RMB (trade conference in town, all hotels are price gouging), and get some clothes.

They said EVERYONE has to do this. Is that true? I remember reading someone recently who had this problem but they had an additional doc I think and THEN even after that they were sent the package and it said they needed to come back again for fingerprints. So I don't really understand what it's about. If they need to do any last minute checks why can't they do it before she comes. Her appearance on Monday I guess was only for her to give the passport so they can look at it again?? Who knows.

But if this is true and everyone needs to return 2 business days after returning for the call-in then people need to be alerted to this! Maybe there is something specific with her case they need to check and they are just making up sh*t... who knows... any insight?

I guess if they play any more games on Wednesday she will probably have to go back to Shanghai and then come again next week?! Idiotic...

---

I called her and got more information...

They had a line that everyone got in and most people had additional documents to submit but some did not, but ALL were required to return. They took her passport and the form that was given to her confirmed they took her passport and had boxes for Wed, Thur, Fri, and "Other" returns at 2:30pm so it appears it is a standard process to require a return 2 business days later from the initial Mon-Wed visit. Of course no mention of this in the original call in letter. It appears they have a final VO check occur even though the call in letter says you are "approved" and the visa will be given to you in "4 working days". She said not many people made a fuss since most were from the Guanzhou area and took it in stride.

Edited by Lee VD (see edit history)

Pink slip obtained!!

She went back and waited in line and watched a number of people get white slips (non-bonafide), one was accused of providing a fake bank account and barred permanently, as well as numerous blue slips. She was very nervous as she was in the last group. She was given her pink slip and filled out the EMS form to send it to Shanghai. We will see if it delivers on schedue... no holidays , so hopefully it will go smoothly.

We are planning for POE in San Francisco on 11/20 and she will continue on to Seattle where I will meet her.

We are planning to get married on 12/3 in Orlando.

...phew!...

Still playing the package tracking waiting game. She got her pink on Wed 10/27 and no tracking showing up yet. Looking back at those unlucky souls recently who had big delays, I see that delays up to 23 days are possible (but was over the National Day holiday). Hopefully it will get out this week! Her ticket is for the 20th so we have time.

7+ business days and 11 calendar days, no visa... here's hoping this week will be the week. We have until the 18/19th before we really have trouble but I booked a number of backup flights (I can cancel for no charge) to make sure she can meet the 12/3 wedding date we have planned. I do have back up plans to roll things back if the worst happens but would not like to think about such things :)

I called DOS last Friday and the woman seemed pretty open and dug into as much as she could but all she could determine was that it was approved and not printed yet but otherwise it looked ok. I sent the form/email to GUZ on Friday as well so will get back the "...still working on it" or "it's shipped" message soon.

--Update-- At least they are quick with the email replies. Nice to know it doesn't appear a blue will be involved and they actually give a timeframe:

"Thank you for your inquiry!

We are sorry for the delay, however, we still need additional processing time. Please rest assured that we are working on this and will let you know if we need anything else. Please check back with us if you have not heard from Post office after another two weeks."

Another two days down, another two days in AP purgatory... no progress. Veteran's Day coming up so another day of no-ops guaranteed. When my fiancee submitted her resignation to her university (yes, we are going out on a limb but its ok, she doesn't really need to work if we suffer months of additional delay for some reason, we have backup plans), they thanked her for her work and gave her a bill for 24,000 RMB to break her contract!!!! At first it sounded like extortion but I had her make sure she reads her contract to see what they are getting at. Turns out she was given upfront money for research work and establishing housing which she has to pay back if she leaves before 3 and 5 yr dates. So, I guess it makes sense... of course I had to ask if she still HAD that money? haha... luckily she does, but not much more! She also is eligible to get some kind of refund on "housing insurance" to the tune of about 15,000 RMB, so not too bad. She is also looking into the SS/pension cash out which I saw mentioned here...