Central Air Conditioning vs window AC

Stone

Put central air in a few years back when tai tai got here. It's 97 outside and the house is a very comfy 73. One of the best things I ever did.

She's wearing a sweater.

:)

I keep the temp around 74 in the store and my wife needs a sweat shirt.

I turn the AC on in the car............its too cold.

I open the moon roof..........the sun bothers her.

WTF? :D

One option is AC units like you see in China, is called a ductless AC system, the unit has two parts, the indoor unit mounts high on the wall, and outdoor unit sits on a pad like central air, or can be hung on a wall, or sit on the roof, it uses a small hole to run the plumbing and electricity to the outdoor unit.

http://www.acsuperstore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/PKAA12_18_lg.jpg

http://www.mehvac.com/

This is what I used to cool the server room.

Easy to install, and does not need to be removed for the winter.

I'd like to second looking at the "Split Systems". I've been investigating here in Hawaii as a possible alternative if and when I build a home. One of our fellow CFL's installed new units - with very High SEER ratings.

Most of the anecdotal research indicates the split systems have the highest SEER ratings but the central systems are catching up. The downside to central is that you need to "Insulate Very Well" all the ducting - and even then depending on how you do it - you lose significant cooling along the way. This can be minimized.

Also, what I didn't like about the units in China and the traditional split systems as shown in the picture - as I see them as "look alike" window units and not asthetically pleasing. When my Jin was building out her house in China - we selected the Fujitsu Split system - with normal looking "Grating" that looks just like central vents to each room. The difference - each room had it's own system hidden in the false ceiling - remote controlled - but running off the chilled water of the split - outside system. Fujitsu was expensive - and it "WASN"T" the cheapest. The AC guy that was in my place last week told me that the Mitsubishi units were the easiest to maintain.

Ok, when considering the next house - I'm thinking "in-law unit on second story over 3 car garage - definitely a place for a high-SEER (SEER is the method of evaluating the efficiency of the Unit in terms of electricity consumption and amount of cooling) Unit to cool the in-law unit. I'm thinking of a classroom/computer area for teaching and a large gym next to it - both are candidates for a multiple-split system, i.e. One external High Seer unit, with two inside units.

Lastly, I see that LG has introduced not only the "grating" that makes the vents look just like central - but also has introduced Picture Frames, and Mirrors that allow the cold air to enter the room via these outlets if the room doesn't fit a vent look.

My "cursory research" also indicates that sizing - is a very important aspect of any AC system - and too large is just as bad as too small. A mix and max approach seems to be the way I'm headed - as it offers the most flexibility and lets each system do what it does best. (Oh yea - I would use the central for the large living/dining/kitchen areas - unsure about bedroom - but like the idea of split systems for them....as long as they are 3=1 which limits your saving on Electricity.

One last thing....SPlit systems are much easier to put in vice central once the house is standing! BEst of luck and happy cooling!

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Put central air in a few years back when tai tai got here. It's 97 outside and the house is a very comfy 73. One of the best things I ever did.

She's wearing a sweater.

:D

I keep the temp around 74 in the store and my wife needs a sweat shirt.

I turn the AC on in the car............its too cold.

I open the moon roof..........the sun bothers her.

WTF? :unsure:

Yes - once it starts getting noticeably cool, she wants to turn it OFF. The concept of WAITING 30 secs. or so for the thermostat to kick in just seems to escape her completely, although I can usually delay long enough.

Can't even open the shade for the moon roof.

She's learned that she doesn't need to wake up 3 or 4 times every night just to turn the bedroom A/C OFF or ON.

She's wearing a sweater.

73!??!! Da'yumm son. You storing meat in the rooms? We keep ours at 80F and are quite comfy with ceiling fans going at low speed.