My wife will be arriving from Beijing on July 10th. Beijing -Vancouver on Air Canada then Vancouver - Houston on Continental. Continetal threw me a little curve yesterday when they said my wife will pass USA customs in Vancouver, not Houston. Seems the point of entry will be Canada, I've never heard of this before.

Continental told me that my wife's bags will be transferred from Air Canada to Continental automatically. When she leaves Beijing she wont see them again until she arrives in Houston.

My question is, since the point of entry is now Vancover, how will customs check her bags? These bags apparently will not be in her possession. I want to make this as easy for her as I can with as little surprises to her as possible. Will USA customs process her after getting off the plane in Vancouver or before boarding the plane to Houston?

Any RELIABLE thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appeciated!

Steve

Does she have a green-card?? If not you WILL have a BIG problem, Canada will need to see green-card, or a transit visa.

Some other members had to pay something like $500 for not having a transit visa for Canada prior to having a green-card.

Yes POE is in Canada. Is called a pre-clearance location.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact...r_locations.xml

Dublin and Shannon Ireland are like this too.

Transit visa: http://www.canadalaw.com/canadian_visitor_...ansit_visa.html

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

A bit more: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-introduce...rts-090731.html (You may want to check, the above article indicates a trial no transit visa with China but Air Canada not indicated.)

My wife will be arriving from Beijing on July 10th. Beijing -Vancouver on Air Canada then Vancouver - Houston on Continental. Continetal threw me a little curve yesterday when they said my wife will pass USA customs in Vancouver, not Houston. Seems the point of entry will be Canada, I've never heard of this before.

Continental told me that my wife's bags will be transferred from Air Canada to Continental automatically. When she leaves Beijing she wont see them again until she arrives in Houston.

My question is, since the point of entry is now Vancover, how will customs check her bags? These bags apparently will not be in her possession. I want to make this as easy for her as I can with as little surprises to her as possible. Will USA customs process her after getting off the plane in Vancouver or before boarding the plane to Houston?

Any RELIABLE thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appeciated!

Steve

It's not very likely that they would allow her to pass through customs (yes, in Canada) WITHOUT the bags in her possession.

She will have to claim the bags from the carousel, and walk them past the customs agent. They will have a baggage reclaim shortly after that, where the bags WILL be passed along to the next leg.

Continental Airlines told my wife that she would have to pay $250 to have her bags shipped to Beijing - she was going to Guangzhou. Not the most reliable folks there.

By the way, Continental often uses (at least for the flights from Newark) a gate at the International Terminal E for these flights, but the domestic baggage carousel is at Terminal D. This is where you should expect to meet her (at the baggage pickup).

Her flight would be considered domestic, since she would have already passed through customs in Vancouver.

Whether this information is reliable or not is between you and Continental - it's up to you to figure it out.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)