Real Chinese Food

I Love Tofu.I think my Lynn makes the best. I learned to Love the native quisine. My Beloved is a very good cook,and I ate a lot of the native food.

Allways rice,and veggies with soup. We never had drinks with our meal. I love the eggplant and black eggs. Have you ever had snails? Essence of black Chicken,a food and a medicine. Of course we never forget the seaweed. And the Liche Nuts. You will never see the Peking Moon the same way again.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joseph,

I had to look the other way when my gal would eat chicken's feet for breakfast like we eat bacon here. I am sure that the foods in Shanghai are a lot different than they were in Nanning and I am quite sure that the local cuisines are different throughout China. Have you had grits or chitlins Yet? :D >Jim

Grits? Chitlins?

Now your talking good ole southern food!

ummmmmmmm

Joseph,

I had to look the other way when my gal would eat chicken's feet for breakfast like we eat bacon here. I am sure that the foods in Shanghai are a lot different than they were in Nanning and I am quite sure that the local cuisines are different throughout China. Have you had grits or chitlins Yet? :D >Jim

Jim,Well as a matter of fact Ive had both. And the chicken feet too.

They are OK but too boney for me.

I am hungry now.  What's for dinner? I enjoy the Chinese Hotpot and the fresh shrimps. :D  :rolleyes:

At Spring Festival we had Hotpot. Lynn was afraid my skills with the chops

werent well enough developed so she picked my food out for me and put it in my rice bowl. I Love the Tofu balls stuffed with meat. Som things I dont know what they were but they were allways good.

Dads habit is to drink a strong clear wine,like vodka. When Lynn was busy

I picked up my own food and Dad saw me. He laughed and said somthing to Lynn in Chinese,she grinned and I knew I was OK.

When married to a Chinese in a past life, we ate whatever could be pushed around in a wok. As a treat on Friday and Saturday night, we usually boiled or steamed some sort of animal thing that required skills in the use of claw hammers, vice grips, needle nose pliars, and long thin phillips screwdrivers if you didn't want to go to bed hungry. When we went out, we ate those things that look like a loaf of sliced bread but taste like a duck with all the bones, and crunchy chicken feet. I keep wondering what happens to all of those chickens running around on crutches.

When I went to a conference in Beijing and spent the week with Zhengyu, I have no idea as to what were most of the things that we ate. Sure was good, though.

There is a difference in local cuisines, but I have found that all are delicious. Having said that, there are a few things that I just can't develop a taste for, some of which I never got the hang of in the states.

I too look the other way when my wife is obviously really enjoying the chickens feet, pigs feet, chickens heads, fish heads, etc. For the chicken feet and pigs feet, I always figured that I knew where those had been.

I never liked what passed as tofu state-side. The tofu here is firmer and dryer and has a much better taste. I developed a real liking to it now. I do draw the line at the blood tofu. I just have doubts about the safety of that.

The northern cuisine tends to be blander than that in the south, but it is more filling. More wheat products. The exception to that is the Korean food that you get up here. And I thought that Mexican food was hot! The seafood in Dalian and Panjin is absolutely fantastic and cheap! Better, I think than what we had at Shanghai. I don't know the name for most of what we had in Guangzhou, but it was definately the best part about that trip.

Up here you can buy about anything from street vendors on a stick and grilled over a charcoal or coal fire. Shish-ka-bob essentially. Squid on a stick is something you don't get back home! The mutton is especially good that way.

Nuts! Still a half hour to lunch!

There is a difference in local cuisines, but I have found that all are delicious.  Having said that, there are a few things that I just can't develop a taste for, some of which I never got the hang of in the states. 

I too look the other way when my wife is obviously really enjoying the chickens feet, pigs feet, chickens heads, fish heads, etc.  For the chicken feet and pigs feet, I always figured that I knew where those had been.

I never liked what passed as tofu state-side.  The tofu here is firmer and dryer and has a much better taste.  I developed a real liking to it now.  I do draw the line at the blood tofu.  I just have doubts about the safety of that.

The northern cuisine tends to be blander than that in the south, but it is more filling.  More wheat products.  The exception to that is the Korean food that you get up here.  And I thought that Mexican food was hot!  The seafood in Dalian and Panjin is absolutely fantastic and cheap!  Better, I think than what we had at Shanghai.  I don't know the name for most of what we had in Guangzhou, but it was definately the best part about that trip.

Up here you can buy about anything from street vendors on a stick and grilled over a charcoal or coal fire.  Shish-ka-bob essentially.  Squid on a stick is something you don't get back home!  The mutton is especially good that way.

Nuts! Still a half hour to lunch!

Oh Yes.The squid is a real treat. My beloved forbid me to touch street food,

but some places had squid that I really liked. On a stick. There were also the things like a hot pocket,deep fried. Also very nice. We also liked to buy

pineapple cut round and round. Oh man, I really miss my little one.

When married to a Chinese in a past life, we ate whatever could be pushed around in a wok.  As a treat on Friday and Saturday night, we usually boiled or steamed some sort of animal thing that required skills in the use of claw hammers, vice grips, needle nose pliars, and long thin phillips screwdrivers if you didn't want to go to bed hungry.  When we went out, we ate those things that look like a loaf of sliced bread but taste like a duck with all the bones, and crunchy chicken feet.  I keep wondering what happens to all of those chickens running around on crutches.

When I went to a conference in Beijing and spent the week with Zhengyu, I have no idea as to what were most of the things that we ate.  Sure was good, though.

Do you believe in reincarnation for sure. I do.

I figure that as long as they charred it well it killed anything harmful. Also figure that 400 degree boiling oil will kill off the nasty things, so I do eat from the street vendors. We pass some of the questionable ones up though.

Oh, yea. I had forgotten about the pineapple on a stick.

Most Chinese bread is steamed and made without sugar, (so my wife says) and not much to my taste. Harbin and Shenyang were both Russian several times, so you can get some decent, but not great, baked goods up here if you look hard.

How about fried stingy tofu?  It smells bad but it tastes so good. :D  :rolleyes:

The girls love stinky tofu. I think they really get a "she thrill" from it.

My baby wouldnt let me near the stuff. In that she got her way.

Every corner had some. At teem plaza near the bus stop its sold on the street every day. :D

I figure that as long as they charred it well it killed anything harmful.  Also figure that 400 degree boiling oil will kill off the nasty things, so I do eat from the street vendors.  We pass some of the questionable ones up though.

Oh, yea.  I had forgotten about the pineapple on a stick.

Most Chinese bread is steamed and made without sugar, (so my wife says) and not much to my taste.  Harbin and Shenyang were both Russian several times, so you can get some decent, but not great, baked goods up here if you look hard.

There is this kind of pastry that has a filling like a fig newton. Its very nice.

Lynn likes that kind of bread. 2.5 Yuan you get it at trust mart.