Jobs for Americans

Stepbrow

Just read on China Daily that Baidu is hiring American software engineers to work in China. Any of you guys qualified? If they pay in RMB, you will get the benefit of the rising Yuan.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2010...nt_10035299.htm

Probably only temporary contracts given the newest Chinese labor laws, but I'd bet the pay will be pretty decent.

Not sure how many they can attract. Last time I was in the bay area, it seems that most of the computer programers are either Chinese, Indian or Russian. For the Chinese, at least the friends I know, they don't want to move back unless there is a big difference in pay. They are pretty well settled and the wives don't want them to come back. Don't think the Indians or Russians will come, either.

The last time China Investment Corp. went to wall street to recruit, offering salaries ranging from US100K to 150k/yr and did attract a few laid off second year analysts who has since moved on again. Not sure how much Baidu can pay for senior engineers.

Not sure how many they can attract. Last time I was in the bay area, it seems that most of the computer programers are either Chinese, Indian or Russian. For the Chinese, at least the friends I know, they don't want to move back unless there is a big difference in pay. They are pretty well settled and the wives don't want them to come back. Don't think the Indians or Russians will come, either.

The last time China Investment Corp. went to wall street to recruit, offering salaries ranging from US100K to 150k/yr and did attract a few laid off second year analysts who has since moved on again. Not sure how much Baidu can pay for senior engineers.

Not sure what Baidu is thinking, but most of the time when the Chinese government is talking the "overseas talent" talk what they really mean is overseas Chinese talent.

Still, Baidu is going to have to make some very attractive offers. And those who take those offers are going to have to think long and hard whether it is worth it to take a high-paying job in China that is, at best, temporary.

Et al,

To stay on topic, here is a search engine that I use frequently to find jobs overseas and most esp. China: http://www.jobbind.com.

I will warn users, that sometimes, it does load slowly(small servers, or so many users?), so have some patience. If you look in the center and top area of the original website page, you will see ¡°change country.¡± Hit this, and another page will appear with flags and names of the countries.

For my particular career field; there are some very high paying jobs in China, Philippines, S. Korea, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, and not to mention the Middle East http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck16.gifand Africa! Right! Africa!

Let me try to run this idea past my wife Yin and any board member try running it past their Chinese wives/husbands:

:vava: or, :crutch: or, :lol: and finally...GOOD LUCK! :rotfl:

Please don't worry....some CFL board member will call 911, for your own "personalized" ambulance. Then the CFL forum will talk about how silly you were in the first place on CFL threads, and a poll will be started (which really adds insult to the resultant injuries you sustained), etc, etc

However, I digress and was just having some fun!

On a more serious note; Some of the positions I¡¯m qualified for, and others not enough qualifications and/or required certifications, and finally and/or for other reasons (e.g. pay, or felt uncomfortable about a particular corp.) I would decline.

For members that have wives/husbands in China, I have personally seen numerous hospitality, culinary, support positions at some major hotels and corporations. Most especially, for ladies/ men which speak Chinese and English. They seem to be actively targeted with this website. Therefore, have both spouses use the search engine. However, this site won't give you every opening. This is merely another "tool" for members to use, to what they already have.

If a CFL member decides to submit a resume, I would suggest having two separate format resumes prepared in advance for any submissions. There are two styles which applicants should be aware of:

1) In traditional US/Western format.

2) The second resume to be prepared is European/English style of CV (¡°Curriculum Vitae¡±). Here is a link and you will quickly see the differences: http://www.ottimizzare.com/curriculum_vita...eo_inglese.html

This all really depends on the country, or the individual corporation you are submitting the resume to; they will differ many times when you apply overseas. Err on the side of caution, and read their entire website to determine which format they want. They generally will tell you.

I might also advise to check what certifications/qualifications they are looking for. Example: I want to work in Thailand as an NDT inspector on say¡­. oil rigs. I¡¯m fully qualified/ certified under ASNT guidelines (American Society of Nondestructive Testing) for work from Germany to the entire US. However in Thailand they require that I have CINDE (Canadian Institute for NDE) Certifications. Ergo: I'm unqualified for this position die to the employer requirements. I might add; surprisingly Japan has the same strict standards as Thailand, and approximately 60% of Japanese corporations prefer CINDE certifications. Japanese feel that US manufacturing standards are too ¡°loose,¡± and want a higher and more stringent standards. However I¡¯m simply using my career field as an example, to illustrate my point for the readers. .

That is why I suggest to members to research EXACTLY what the corporation/employer is requiring. And I might add that the person applying better know everything that they can before any interview. There is nothing that PO¡¯s a high paying Far Eastern employer off than, if the applicant doesn¡¯t know ¡°jack¡± about the corporation! And I mean their Mission Statements are like Moses with stone tablets. You better know what they are and/or at least understand what they say. Employers will ask! This is a warning, and I have seventeen telephone interviews from HR's under my belt with overseas employers.

For members in the US; this site isn¡¯t as great as Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed, Simply Hired, etc. However, you might be able to get some additional hits for employment opportunities.

Dave

(edited for clarification of a particular thought/point)

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Want to start this new thread if it is not already out there yet.

How about for us who marry Chinese and decide to stay in China.

What kind of job opportunities are out there for professional Americans in the technical field ? Where ? I think Shanghai is probably the best....

Let's start a discussion . Thanks.

Want to start this new thread if it is not already out there yet.

How about for us who marry Chinese and decide to stay in China.

What kind of job opportunities are out there for professional Americans in the technical field ? Where ? I think Shanghai is probably the best....

Let's start a discussion . Thanks.

I'd say a lot depends on what field you are qualified in, the exact qualifications you have, what position within that field you would accept, salary requirements and what your target employer is.

If you are looking for a job teaching English, it seems the only requirement is that you have a pulse. If you are looking for a job in a different industry and are willing to work for sub-par local wages, you'll find it is, DOQ, not impossible.

If you are looking for an employer amongst the Fortune < 500, it is virtually impossible. We, for example, virtually never hire in-country regardless of ones qualifications or one's willingness to work on a local package. You would have to be an overseas employee of ours for some time and then "seconded" to our China office.

Aren't there some good tax benefits to working overseas? I had heard that the first $90,000 in foreign income is not taxable. Is that true?

True, though may be a bit less than 90k

More: http://www.overseasdigest.com/new-tax-rules-2006.htm

You do pay income tax to the foreign government though.

Aren't there some good tax benefits to working overseas? I had heard that the first $90,000 in foreign income is not taxable. Is that true?

True.

The problem is that in, for example, China you must pay Chinese taxes on your income and the tax rates here can be much higher in the US.

Go work in the UAE or Saudi Arabia and there are no taxes.

With credit crunch UAE has turned into a place you may want to avoid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7839347.stm

Laid-Off Foreigners Flee as Dubai Spirals Down

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Please don't worry....some CFL board member will call 911, for your own "personalized" ambulance. Then the CFL forum will talk about how silly you were in the first place on CFL threads, and a poll will be started (which really adds insult to the resultant injuries you sustained), etc, etc

Wondered why you feel that most Chinese wives would be reluctant to go overseas, or to have their husband work abroad?

I do not necessarily disagree. I really don't know how the majority would think on this issue. There are, of course, a few cases where the couple have either gone to stay in China or plan to do so. I think my own wife would consider going, but the situation would have to be just right. The obstacles would be financial and the feeling that the U.S. is a good place to raise kids.

What are the factors that you feel would prevent most from wanting to go abroad? There are the obvious advantages of being close to kin.