Feel the Quake??

dnoblett

When we have quakes here in the east not much is felt. Maybe a tremor or perhaps a slow motion shake.

Hey, Sam you feel it there?

Magnitude 5.5 - ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA

2010 June 23 17:41:42 UTC

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/rec.../us2010xwa7.php

Coworkers felt it here in Rochester.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/2010xwa7/us/us2010xwa7_ciim.jpg

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Dan,

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/14/lo...-swarm-20100615

5.7 Richter, and numerous minor ones followed. This quake started near the Mexican border, and was felt all the way into LA.

Another large earthquake occurred shortly after, on Jun 23, 2010. In all honesty this particular quake had a ¡°snapping and rolling¡± motion. This description doesn¡¯t mean very much to people that don¡¯t feel many earthquakes. However, describe an earthquake to a Californian with this description, and they will know exactly what you are talking about.

As a side note, from my time in California, I went through the Downey and Northridge quake (I was living in ¡°Korea-town¡± with my Korean ex-wife (near downtown LA) and not Northridge). Now! These are the ¡°mothers¡± of quakes. This is addition to the most recent quakes I mentioned previously.

However, Dan you raise an interesting side thought, in respect of what our Chinese wives feel afterward. After all! For some of the wives, it is a first! How did your wife enjoy being ¡°experienced?¡±

To be honest, I¡¯m very used to quakes and don¡¯t panic at all. Earthquakes is simply God¡¯s manner in telling men/women that they are small, they suck like ants, and He can kick his/her ass anytime he wants too, and there is nothing that any of us can do about it either! :D Personally, I¡¯m so used to earthquakes, that I refer to them as ¡°land-surfing.¡±

My wife Yin comes from the Sichuan Province, which is very seismically active. Her family went though that last 8.0 Richter earthquakes in China. One would think that she would be very used to them! Not SO!

My wife felt the first earthquake I mentioned in the post, and simply didn¡¯t know where to go, what to do, and I mean nada. I had to take her by the hand and forcefully shove her down near a wall for protection in the case that the building collapsed.

Later, once she settled down and the quake was over; she spent the better part of two hours holding my hand, shaking from fright, and asking if I had ever planned for this type of event. ;) Living in California? Is she kidding? Of course I had it planned with a tent, sleeping bags, flashlights, emergency rations, water (including a desalination unit for seawater)! What are the ¡°6 P¡¯s?¡±

¡°Prior Planning, Prevents Piss Poor Performance.¡±

I would like to hear how some of the other wives fared and/or related stories! I know that this is a frightening experience for anyone who has not gone through this! And I do mean man or woman. My shock after the Northridge quakes was deeply unsettling to me, in regard to the sheer magnitude of the earthquake. I felt very tired afterward, didn¡¯t sleep very well for about 6-weeks or so, etc.

This aside Dan; perhaps The State of California could export small earthquakes to your area, for training purposes. God knows! the monetarily-strapped State of California could sure use the money! ;) We might just as well export our earthquakes!

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

I was near the earthquake in 1971 - close enough to get woken up and things thrown off nearby shelves. Not being "experienced", I simply thought the vibrator on my bed had turned on, and looked around for a slot to put another quarter in.

Some of the California natives, though, hit the ground running - from their second floor window.

I was near the earthquake in 1971 - close enough to get woken up and things thrown off nearby shelves. Not being "experienced", I simply thought the vibrator on my bed had turned on, and looked around for a slot to put another quarter in.

Some of the California natives, though, hit the ground running - from their second floor window.

Randy,

Very funny! "...from their second floor window.'"

The Downy quake which I went through, I actually saw it coming at me.

I was outside drinking a cup of coffee, waiting for the chemicals to warm up for processing of the Photo Lab I owned/operated. All of a sudden, and from far away I heard cars alarms were going off, and were approaching me, and getting louder. Basically, the wave created by the earthquake in the ground, was lifting cars up, and causing the alarms to activate. I was approximately 9 miles from the epicenter. I should also mention that my hearing of cars alarms going off, and actually nearby cars being lifted 6 inches or so from their parked positions, is a space of only 2 or 3 seconds. In the average mental mind; it seems far, far longer. Most especially when you see the wave approaching you, and I can damned well assure you of this fact! It is moving at an extreme rate of speed. Very frightening! But at the same time; very fascinating! At least to me.

My only thought was "Ohhhhh SHIT!" That is all I had time for as a thought. I dropped the coffee cup, squatted, and held onto a small tree! In the middle of an earthquake; Where are you gong to run too? This is not the time to make amends to the Lord, for past misdeeds. It is Here! And it is right damned now!

Then it hit! However, it passed very quickly. I went inside to began cleaning up the mess of spilled photo chemicals (overflowing their tanks from the wave effect) from the photo development machines, cleaning up a lot of glass from frames which I also sold.

The strangest part; was the after-shocks of the earthquake. The after shocks could be heard, and felt under your feet while we were cleaning up the mess, for the better part of the day. It is like thunder, and the boom that you hear from thunder from lightning. However! It is under your feet, and not in your head/shoulders/chest.

Very, very unnerving!

Randy,

I was outside drinking a cup of coffee, waiting for the chemicals to warm up for processing of the Photo Lab I owned/operated. All of a sudden, and from far away I heard cars alarms were going off, and were approaching me, and getting louder. Basically, the wave created by the earthquake in the ground, was lifting cars up, and causing the alarms to activate. I was approximately 9 miles from the epicenter. I should also mention that my hearing of cars alarms going off, and actually nearby cars being lifted 6 inches or so from their parked positions, is a space of only 2 or 3 seconds. In the average mental mind; it seems far, far longer. Most especially when you see the wave approaching you, and I can damned well assure you of this fact! It is moving at an extreme rate of speed. Very frightening! But at the same time; very fascinating! At least to me.

My only thought was "Ohhhhh SHIT!" That is all I had time for as a thought. I dropped the coffee cup, squatted, and held onto a small tree! In the middle of an earthquake; Where are you gong to run too? This is not the time to make amends to the Lord, for past misdeeds. It is Here! And it is right damned now!

Then it hit! However, it passed very quickly. I went inside to began cleaning up the mess of spilled photo chemicals (overflowing their tanks from the wave effect) from the photo development machines, cleaning up a lot of glass from frames which I also sold.

The strangest part; was the after-shocks of the earthquake. The after shocks could be heard, and felt under your feet while we were cleaning up the mess, for the better part of the day. It is like thunder, and the boom that you hear from thunder from lightning. However! It is under your feet, and not in your head/shoulders/chest.

Very, very unnerving!

Now Dave, that was a 'roller' tell us what a shaker or rocker feels like. :P

I know that you've been through a few of those too. :)

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Oregon has been few a few in the last 20 years. "Spring Break Quake" (guessing it was about 1992) ---around a place called Mt. Angel (south of Portland in the Willamette Valley) ---early morning, lying in bed with now ex wife---whole bed starts to shake... it subsides, and then comes on even stronger. Maybe 45 seconds? Wow! I say---her response: "what was that?? Low flying birds?

Randy,

Very, very unnerving!

Now Dave, that was a 'roller' tell us what a shaker or rocker feels like. :P

I know that you've been through a few of those too. :)

Dennis,

You are sitting on the couch, or standing up. You suddenly feel the snap generally sideways, depending on what position you are standing in. Then the whole Earth begins shaking. I personally was on the couch and felt it through my butt.

Pay attention to your feet. You will sense a rolling motion, for one to two seconds. Then it passes. And then the home and windows begin shaking for x - long seconds.

Personally, for myself I love earthquakes, are very exciting to me, and I think that they are great as long as they don't kill anyone. They let you know that you are alive and the power's of the Earth, are in full play!

That is why I was surprised by my wife's reaction. She was actually scared, and I was a bit calm about the entire event, and reacted the atypical Californian.

"Man! I hope that I don't have to break out the vacuum for broken glass! Is my car OK? Or do I have to call the insurance company again? Honey! It is a small earthquake! Stop crying! Yes, honey! My life insurance policy is still effective! Yes honey! The insurance policy pays, if I'm killed in a car accident and/or an Earthquake!"

Dennis you being in LA, you know exactly what I'm talking about. a 5.5 Richter is about as common as the bus stopping at a bus stop! We live in California! At the water-cooler, earthquakes are openly discussed how big it was, what got broken, feeling sympathy for the person, that his /her prized possession was broken, and then no more. Californian's move on with life.

Dennis; you as a Californian, know exactly what I'm talking about. What about other people which don't experience what we do everyday! They freak out! The both of us worry about if our coffee has been split! How did your current wife (3 or 4 years) take her first earthquake? Your wife has been here in California for how many years? I suspect her as being a first-rate Californian. NOW! When the books are shaken off the shelves; it really PO's her, since she has to clean the mess up. She doesn't even worry about the building structure, etc. Our wives, are worried abort the mess they have to clean up.

My own wife, has a long way to go to, to where your wife is right now.

Besides! These minor events are common-place in California, and are actually a part of day-to-day living. I would love to hear other people's stories of what we experience every year. Up to the point, that we are actually bored anymore!

Dave

Back in my trucking days I was west of Sac in some Podunk sized berg waiting to get loaded. It was lunch time, so I I had to wait and crawled up into the bunk to rest. Well, the truck started shaking like the forklift guy was setting pallets on my flatbed. I looked out the windshield and saw waves coming towards me. :) Dirt ain't supposed to do that. I later heard it was a 5.0 ~ 5.5 or so.

Don,

Now you understand what I was saying.

We actually had several strong after-shocks following the original earthquake. Yin called me at work, and was actually interrupting my work. Her big question was; "Did you feel them?"

In actuality, I was so busy, I didn't feel the aftershocks in the least!

However! The after-shocks were a great concern for her. I stopped work to answer/console a panic stricken Chinese woman. I talked with her for about 30 minutes or so. She felt better, and then I went back to work.

The nicest part in regard to a scared Chinese woman and an earthquake is.....

The great sex that follows, with the same scared Chinese woman, which is seeking comfort.

Chinese ladies of CFL....I do apologize for my crude remarks. However! When you are as old as I am; you do everything you can for sex with your wife! A seismic event like an earthquake, is a God-sent gift to us old guys!

What was the old adage? "Every dark cloud, has a silver lining?" I wonder when the next really big quake arrives? I might be able to make love three times with my wife, in one night!

I wouldn't be killed by the massive earthquake! I would be a victim of the earthquake, by sex with a scared Chinese woman!

Damn! What a pleasurable way to go! The earthquake didn't screw me! My wife DID!

So I was a "victim/casualty" of several earthquakes!

Oregon has been few a few in the last 20 years. "Spring Break Quake" (guessing it was about 1992) ---around a place called Mt. Angel (south of Portland in the Willamette Valley) ---early morning, lying in bed with now ex wife---whole bed starts to shake... it subsides, and then comes on even stronger. Maybe 45 seconds? Wow! I say---her response: "what was that?? Low flying birds?

Kim,

Just tell her that it was a delayed post-orgasmic to you, as a sex demigod You never know! She might believe you!

Read my followup post to Donahso's posting. You will get the picture.

Dave