I-864 Tax questions

Hi again CFL

I have a question about taxes, for the I-864 form.

I called the IRS several of times, to ask if I can file for tax returns. I explained to them I haven't made any income what so ever for the past 5 years, and they told me I do not need to file for a return since I do not make the required income. I explained to them why I still needed to file, and they suggested a form called "4506-T Request for Transcript of Tax Return". The IRS, told me to check option 7, Verification of Nonfiling, which is proof from the IRS that you did not file a return for the year. The IRS said I can request the past 4 years using one form, then simply fax it to them and it will be processed and mailed to me with-in 10 days.

My question is will this be good enough evidence, that I did not meet the minimal requirement to file for tax returns? Would this work at the interview? The IRS, is telling me that I can't file zero tax returns, and that they have never heard of anyone doing that before. =.= I am a little lost. If I were to file zero tax returns, do I just put all zero's down on the form, and then mail it to the IRS, and bring a copy to the interview? My father is going to co sponsor my spouse. He will be able to hand in all the required documents for the I-864.

Much help appreciated!

Thanks

That's a good question - one that I've had for a long time, and have never seen an answer to - why would the USCIS or DOS require you to file a tax return when the IRS tells you not to?

Follow the instructions on the tax to where it says "Do not file if the amount on line ___ is less than $___". Why would you not simply make a copy of the return to this point and turn that in with the I-864? Most people seem to also mail a copy of the zero return to the IRS, and call that "filing", but this step would seem to be unnecessary and counter to the IRS instructions.

It seems to me that it won't make any difference if you actually mail it to the IRS or not, since you have followed their instructions to the letter, and can provide a copy of your return.

Hi again CFL

I have a question about taxes, for the I-864 form.

I called the IRS several of times, to ask if I can file for tax returns. I explained to them I haven't made any income what so ever for the past 5 years, and they told me I do not need to file for a return since I do not make the required income. I explained to them why I still needed to file, and they suggested a form called "4506-T Request for Transcript of Tax Return". The IRS, told me to check option 7, Verification of Nonfiling, which is proof from the IRS that you did not file a return for the year. The IRS said I can request the past 4 years using one form, then simply fax it to them and it will be processed and mailed to me with-in 10 days.

My question is will this be good enough evidence, that I did not meet the minimal requirement to file for tax returns? Would this work at the interview? The IRS, is telling me that I can't file zero tax returns, and that they have never heard of anyone doing that before. =.= I am a little lost. If I were to file zero tax returns, do I just put all zero's down on the form, and then mail it to the IRS, and bring a copy to the interview? My father is going to co sponsor my spouse. He will be able to hand in all the required documents for the I-864.

Much help appreciated!

Thanks

Can you help me get on this program of living without any income what so ever? I really don't know how to do that.

Can you help me get on this program of living without any income what so ever? I really don't know how to do that.

Impossible. You've already outgrown it.

I'm in a similar boat as reliable. I don't file income tax because I'm still a student (the income of scholarships gets eaten by tuition). What they're looking for is that she will join a household that's stable at or above 125% poverty line. If your dad's income matches that, I don't see why the verification of non-filing shouldn't be sufficient.

Edited by Rob and WeiLing (see edit history)