Immigrant health insurance in the USA

Depends.

I simply added my wife to my policy by visiting my HR department where I work.

You may need to wait a couple weeks to get SSN before adding to policy, which technically should NOT be required.

I added Jingjing to my insurance from work as well. She had her ssn when I added her

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Thanks for the quick replies.

My bad, I forgot to mentioned that I am retired and am on medicare so no job offered insurance. I will need to buy a separate policy for my wife.

I have been Googling this but would like hear real world experiences.

Mike

Thanks for the quick replies.

My bad, I forgot to mentioned that I am retired and am on medicare so no job offered insurance. I will need to buy a separate policy for my wife.

I have been Googling this but would like hear real world experiences.

Mike

It will depend on the state you live in as to what is available and the cost. I don't think you will find a policy specifically designed for immigrants (your title is a little confusing).

Yes there is what insurance companies call health insurance for immigrants. Most health insurance for immigrants includes visitors, students, and those with work visas. This kind of insurance is for short term. Usually you can only buy it for one year at a time. It is more expensive compared to other insurance. Of course cost depends on deductible, co-pay and other benefits received. She will not be short term, so it would be best just to get her a regular, individual health care policy.

If you really want to look into this kind further check out these links.

http://www.immigrationhealth.com

http://www.usnetcare.com/

I have looked into this because of my wife's parents. I have found these kind of plans are double what I find for just getting them a normal, individual plan.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Yes there is what insurance companies call health insurance for immigrants. Most health insurance for immigrants includes visitors, students, and those with work visas. This kind of insurance is for short term. Usually you can only buy it for one year at a time. It is also very expensive compared to other insurance. What I mean by this is where a normal policy is around $300-$400, this kind of policy for the same coverage will cost you $1,200. Of course cost depends on deductible, co-pay and other benefits received. She will not be short term, so it would be best just to get her a regular, individual health care policy.

But someone with a GC who is a LPR should be able to purchase "normal" healthcare insurance.

Yes there is what insurance companies call health insurance for immigrants. Most health insurance for immigrants includes visitors, students, and those with work visas. This kind of insurance is for short term. Usually you can only buy it for one year at a time. It is also very expensive compared to other insurance. What I mean by this is where a normal policy is around $300-$400, this kind of policy for the same coverage will cost you $1,200. Of course cost depends on deductible, co-pay and other benefits received. She will not be short term, so it would be best just to get her a regular, individual health care policy.

But someone with a GC who is a LPR should be able to purchase "normal" healthcare insurance.

Isn't that what I suggested???????

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Sure. I was just confirming that an immigrant with a GC who is a LPR could be condsidered a regular individual and thus the OP does not need to be concerned with all the immigrant insurance information.

Sure. I was just confirming that an immigrant with a GC who is a LPR could be condsidered a regular individual and thus the OP does not need to be concerned with all the immigrant insurance information.

Okay, just a long day, long week, lots of work making me read things crazy.