Anyone know about Importing from China?

We are really talking about very little. Her family has Tai Chi shoes, DVD's (legit and legal) some silk Tai Chi uniforms, some practice swords... things like that.

They are easily sent to us using China post. We have had them ship us shoes and uniforms for our own personal use, and it has no problems coming through customs and arriving at our door.

But before we start to sell these items to students and other teachers, I want to know what I'm resobisible for as far as taxes.

(I don't want to be selling thing and have someone come tell me I owe in back import fees or something!)

But I'm having a terrible time finding ANY info on this topic.

Talk to the DHL folks, if it's less than a couple of boxes. If more, you might start with them anyway and then move along to the customs brokers if need be. They'll tell you how to fill out the customs forms and how much you'll pay in fees.

Some folks are just more resobisibiliant than others. (sorry)

Just curious - where in KC are you guys at? My wife and I live in north KC, right on the edge of Liberty, only about 15 minutes away from MCI. Send me a PM, if you guys want to meet sometime. I don't want to get this thread completely off track.

Hey Kyle! Someone else in KC! Cool! I sent you a PM...

Hmm, sorry i dont know much about that aspect of it.

You may be better off finding a forum for people that are trying to sell imported products.

Although a quick google search wasn't very fruitful, from what i can see, as long as its nothing unusual the duty will be paid and taken care of while its in customs after it arrives in the us. Thats how i paid the fees from that logistics company- after (or shortly before) it arrived in the us, they emailed and called me telling me about an invoice for a wide range of fees. I'm sure that if a duty was required on it, regardless for what i plan to do with it in the US, i would have paid it before the port would let it go.

my wifes family send us stuff adn we sell it at some markets with the use of a simple sellers permit you can get through the state but you need to pay taxes on the sales according to the state level of sales tax so selling and importing is not a prob for us but we pay taxes on it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GunSlinger

But before we start to sell these items to students and other teachers, I want to know what I'm resobisible for as far as taxes.

Try the US Customs website: http://www.cbp.gov/ , if you can't find the answer online call them, if they can't give you the answer you need they can tell you who can.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife imported Chinese stuff for her store. Her family just sent it by mail (regular post). It was cheap and we had no trouble. Just look up the harmonization code and put it with a description on the shipping label. No problem!

If you owe taxes, the post office will tell you when the stuff arrives. But we were never were charged taxes and we brought over about $500 (wholesale price) of stuff at a time.

Good luck.