Mother-In-Law Visitor Visa

Hello all. Haven't posted in here in ages! Anyways, I searched around but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. Also, hope this is the right forum for this question.

I have helped my mother-in-law prepare the DS-160 paperwork and we are ready to call the GUZ number to apply for the illusive B2 Visitor's Visa. My question is who can call to set up the GUZ interview? Can I call for my MIL? I don't speak Chinese so is it better for Lao Po (here in USA) to call? Or is it required that my MIL call herself to set up the appointment?

Thanks for any help guys!

:)

Since she is the one applying for a visitors visa more than likely is is she who calls the consulate. But the consulate website makes no mention that this is the case it does indicate calling the 86 number if outside China this is a Shanghai number.

Note: Visitors visas are issued by the other consulates as well as Guangzhou. Guangzhou services Southern China, there are consulates located in Shanghai, Wuhan, Chengdu, Shenyang, and the Embassy in Beijing.

Step 1: Make sure you live in the Guangzhou consular district.

The Guangzhou Consulate serves Hainan, Guangxi, Guangdong, and Fujian provinces. If you do not live in one of these four provinces, you should apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing or at one of our other Consulates in Shenyang, Shanghai, or Chengdu.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/ni...w-to-apply.html

Dan - Been doing good, thanks. Yes, I've become one of THOSE Candle members that don't post much anymore. Been very busy with new home, new baby and all the extra fun stuff that comes with those new responsibilities. <_<

Well Lao Po got impatient and did not want to wait for me to call GUZ so she called herself last night. *LOL* Mother-in-law has an appointment with GUZ on the 21st of this month I believe. I was a little shocked, I figured there'd be about a 4 week or possibly longer wait time. It's a long shot but the wife wanted me to try and I'd love to have her come here and meet my family and see our home once. She lives in Nanning so she is in the GUZ consular district.

Was just going to mention that you can call from here... but looks like you've already figured that out.

We just went through the same process and were surprised at quickly and smoothly it went (as compared to K1). Ba and Ma just arrived this week on their tourist visas... they are from Nanning too.

Cheers & Good Luck!

Dan - Been doing good, thanks. Yes, I've become one of THOSE Candle members that don't post much anymore. Been very busy with new home, new baby and all the extra fun stuff that comes with those new responsibilities. :(

Well Lao Po got impatient and did not want to wait for me to call GUZ so she called herself last night. *LOL* Mother-in-law has an appointment with GUZ on the 21st of this month I believe. I was a little shocked, I figured there'd be about a 4 week or possibly longer wait time. It's a long shot but the wife wanted me to try and I'd love to have her come here and meet my family and see our home once. She lives in Nanning so she is in the GUZ consular district.

Good Luck! The big thing is to show that she has a lot of reasons to return to China. Having said that we just got Lao po's mom a Green Card while she was here on a B2.

Daviation-- Thanks, she'll need a lot of luck I think. Seems like 90% of our SOs and family on this board are from Nanning! *lol*

Yuanyang-- Yeah, I told my wife to make sure that she takes as much as she reasonably can to the interview to show them.

Do you guys happen to know what the process is if she is refused? Does she get any second chance to show them anything else like the blue slips for K1 (if I remember that process correctly)? Or do you simply have to pay the fee all over again and make another appointment?

If refused you must start over. It seems much easier now than in years past. In the old days it usually took 2 or 3 tries. As Dan pointed out the key is proving as best you can that they will return to China.

If refused you must start over. It seems much easier now than in years past. In the old days it usually took 2 or 3 tries. As Dan pointed out the key is proving as best you can that they will return to China.

Thanks for the info Carl. That is what I was afraid of. I was telling my wife that I was pretty certain that if her mother is refused at the interview that she'll probably not get another chance and that she would need to apply again. It is going to be a long shot for my mother-in-law for various reasons but my Lao Po really wanted me to try so I did my best, we'll just have to wait to see what the visa officer says now. They're in GUZ now.

Thanks again guys!

<_<

Edited by Signal (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

ON this same topic..... My LP got her mom prepped for the consulate interview in Shenyang and she apparently got approval for the visitor's visa. However, LP is telling me that the VO did not tell her mother the duration of the visa. She says they give you the duration when you arrive in the US for entry....but I thought you were required to show a round trip booking back to China?? - How do you do that if you don't know how long your visa stay is beforehand?

Am I losing something in translation here?

Roger

ON this same topic..... My LP got her mom prepped for the consulate interview in Shenyang and she apparently got approval for the visitor's visa. However, LP is telling me that the VO did not tell her mother the duration of the visa. She says they give you the duration when you arrive in the US for entry....but I thought you were required to show a round trip booking back to China?? - How do you do that if you don't know how long your visa stay is beforehand?

Am I losing something in translation here?

Roger

No. You aren't. The visa is valid for entry and doesn't specify visit duration. That's one of the duties at the POE. In fact, if the visa expires tomorrow, she can still enter today and legally stay as long as the officer grants her. If you have a return ticket that's within 6 months or so, you shouldn't have any kind of problem.

Hope you don't mind if I sneak this question in here Signal.

Where would one apply for a B-2 if living in Hunan? Is this to say that if not from Hainan, Guangxi, Guangdong, and Fujian provinces you can apply at any Consulate or are there consular districts?

Apply at the consulate that is the nearest or most convenient. For example: have family or do business in Beijing, Shanghai etc..? Then visit family or business and while there visit consulate or embassy and apply.

Where Should I apply? U.S. Embassy and Consulates Liberalize Interview Appointment Policy

Effective immediately, non-immigrant visa applicants may book interview appointments at any U.S. Consular Section in China, regardless of the province or city where they live. Consular Sections are located at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and U.S. Consulates General in Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Shenyang.

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_general.html#niv2