Visiting Taiwan -- easier now for PRC citizens?

Just saw this today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8658886.stm

and wondered if anyone knows how easy it is now for PRC citizens to visit Taiwan -- do they still have to go as part of a tour?

Looking for places to visit together (especially in winter) that are (1) out of the country so she can leave the PRC and then go back (maybe that will help later when I try to get her to the US), and (2) Chinese-speaking countries so she will feel at ease and I can continue to improve my Mandarin. Taiwan seems an obvious choice (assuming it's easy for a US citizen to get a visa). :huh:

I saw a similar article in China Daily today. Sure sounds like it's getting easier. The article states 385,000 (1Q of 2010) so far and possibly as many as 1 million by the end of this year. I never been there but have flown over it a couple times. The colors and topography are striking...at least from an airplane they are. Looks like a beautiful country...

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-05...ent_9809061.htm

Edited by HongKong2LA (see edit history)

Just saw this today:

and wondered if anyone knows how easy it is now for PRC citizens to visit Taiwan -- do they still have to go as part of a tour?

Looking for places to visit together (especially in winter) that are (1) out of the country so she can leave the PRC and then go back (maybe that will help later when I try to get her to the US), and (2) Chinese-speaking countries so she will feel at ease and I can continue to improve my Mandarin. Taiwan seems an obvious choice (assuming it's easy for a US citizen to get a visa). :huh:

For you to visit Taiwan, it is pretty easy. All you need is a valid passport with at least 6 months till it expires, and a round trip ticket. You can stay for 30 days. This is a visa waiver program. Here is a link to the DOS page. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/c...ry_requirements

I don't know how it will be for your wife. Can she contact the Taiwan Tourist Bureau in Beijing and get info from them?

Just saw this today:

Hong Kong is another option.

Just saw this today:

Looking for places to visit together (especially in winter) that are (1) out of the country so she can leave the PRC and then go back (maybe that will help later when I try to get her to the US), and (2) Chinese-speaking countries so she will feel at ease and I can continue to improve my Mandarin. Taiwan seems an obvious choice (assuming it's easy for a US citizen to get a visa). :P

It takes about two months for a Chinese citizen to get a tourist visa to Taiwan. Doing the registration through a certified travel agency can shorten the process.The PRC will need a passport to apply, and when the approval process is complete, they will receive their passport, and two other booklets. One allows for a single entry and exit to Taiwan, and the other a single exit and reentry to China. Subsequent travel must be pre-approved, but is much faster than the first time approval. Cost is about 350RMB.

All PRCs on a tourist visa must travel with a tour group. They are not allowed to leave the group and travel on their own. I don't think this arrangement will allow you a comfortable visit with your Chinese partner.

However, if the PRC works for a Chinese business that conducts business in Taiwan, they may be allowed to get a business visa. A business visa will allow the PRC to travel on their own and not have to stay with a tour group.

Edited by I-Luv-China (see edit history)
It takes about two months for a Chinese citizen to get a tourist visa to Taiwan. Doing the registration through a certified travel agency can shorten the process.The PRC will need a passport to apply, and when the approval process is complete, they will receive their passport, and two other booklets. One allows for a single entry and exit to Taiwan, and the other a single exit and reentry to China. Subsequent travel must be pre-approved, but is much faster than the first time approval. Cost is about 350RMB.

All PRCs on a tourist visa must travel with a tour group. They are not allowed to leave the group and travel on their own. I don't think this arrangement will allow you a comfortable visit with your Chinese partner.

However, if the PRC works for a Chinese business that conducts business in Taiwan, they may be allowed to get a business visa. A business visa will allow the PRC to travel on their own and not have to stay with a tour group.

I really love this site. We have so many knowledgable people on immigration laws, rules and regulations , both for the US and PRC . Excellent site.

By the way, just out of curiosity , are there any Americans who renounced their citizenship to become PRC citizen ? If not, which countries do naturalized PRC citizens mostly come from ??? Poor countries.... ??? What are the requirements to become PRC citizen ?

Citizenship not resident alienship , ok ?