Chinese Diplomat beaten by Houston Police

The police definitely made technical mistake . They are not allowed to enter Consulate or Embassy properties without permission. Whether they knew it or not is immaterial . It was their mistake . If you pass a stop light but you did not see it , you are still wrong and will be subject to fine. Laws should be a technical , not an emotional subject.

An apology from the Houston mayor is due in this case. Their employees made a mistake.

Permission is assumed in a case like this. Of course defending the safety of the consulate from an apparently dangerous intruder takes priority.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son has been a diplomat in Ecuador and Brazil. He says that China will reciprocate by hassling Americans in China, everything here will get swept under the rug, then things will get back to normal. :roller:

Tia for Tat thats how its supposed to work. ;)

You may be surprised - I think the consensus here is that he shouldn't have tried to evade police.

Read the link from shenzhen a few posts back - http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2010-05...ent_9800107.htm

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Link doesn't work for me Randy

Worked a minute ago (now it seems to be gone). Anyway, I hadn't closed the page yet, so here it is

Washington - China on Friday asked the United States to protect Chinese diplomats after its vice-consul in Houston was reportedly injured during an arrest.

The matter, which took place on April 24, is being investigated, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said in a statement posted on the ministry's website.

"We asked the US side to abide by the Vienna Convention on consular relations and the China-US treaty on consular relations and ensure that Chinese diplomats and the consulate property are protected against any infringement. China will firmly protect the legal rights of its overseas diplomats and consular employees," Jiang said.

Deputy Consular General Yu Boren, 53, was driving in Houston with another passenger, when a marked Houston Police car attempted to pull him over for a missing license plate, CBS News reported.

Yu did not slow down and kept driving to the Chinese Consulate, entering a garage via an automatic door with officers in pursuit.

Officers chased Yu into the building and placed him in handcuffs. The officers were unaware the building Yu entered was the Chinese Consulate, according to a source.

Yu sustained injuries to his head and neck during the arrest and was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital by ambulance, CBS News reported.

Wang Baodong, spokesman of Chinese Embassy in Washington DC, said they are now dealing with the case and Chinese side has taken up the issue with US authorities.

China Daily

"..Permission is assumed in a case like this. Of course defending the safety of the consulate from an apparently dangerous intruder takes priority..."

nothing I've read supports a regular street cop, not assigned to a foreign consulate, following a foreign national into his own consulate grounds in an attempt to make an arrest---or even contact, unless he had solid evidence of a clear and present danger to others on consulate grounds (gun drawn for instance)...

Lack of a rear license plate probably doesn't qualify.

"..Permission is assumed in a case like this. Of course defending the safety of the consulate from an apparently dangerous intruder takes priority..."

nothing I've read supports a regular street cop, not assigned to a foreign consulate, following a foreign national into his own consulate grounds in an attempt to make an arrest---or even contact, unless he had solid evidence of a clear and present danger to others on consulate grounds (gun drawn for instance)...

This man was an intruder, and presented a clear and present danger, not only to those in the consulate, but to anyone in the vicinity

Your claims have no bearing on the story - the details will come out

While I'm sure the details will come out when the video from the police cars, and the consulate, come out, but evading police with a car that lacks rear plates and then driving into a garage doesn't constitute a danger?

This man was an intruder, and presented a clear and present danger, not only to those in the consulate, but to anyone in the vicinity

Your claims have no bearing on the story - the details will come out

There seems to be confusion on how it actually "went down" but if you read the China Daily article it says:

1. He was driving in a car and a MARKED Houston police car attempted to pull him over

2. He did not slow down or stop but went into the Chinese consulate garage with the police in pursuit

3. The officers then chased him into the building and placed him in handcuffs

Now with this chain of events just where would the police have determined that he was a diplomat and they should not investigate the matter any further?

It's all conjecture for now, until we see the videos from the consulate and from the police cars.

However, I really liked reading some of the comments attached to the China Daily article.

There seems to be confusion on how it actually "went down" but if you read the China Daily article it says:

1. He was driving in a car and a MARKED Houston police car attempted to pull him over

2. He did not slow down or stop but went into the Chinese consulate garage with the police in pursuit

Now with this chain of events just where would the police have determined that he was a diplomat and they should not investigate the matter any further?

Yu's contention was that he did stop, but that the officers simply sat in their car, so he drove on. But the big tip off for the street cops was this little matter of race. Exactly the reason for my op --- as it relates to Arizona. You got an Asian guy without a rear plate, (which is chump change) maybe you want to make it something bigger... maybe not---but you REALLY don't want this guy to just ignore you.

You see he's headed into consulate grounds, (don't give us any BS that a cop on the beat every day doesn't know this...) As a beat cop you really have only one option: Radio dispatch to report to the consulate a possible security breach----so that the rather extensive---assigned police contingent can investigate from there, or you can break all protocol and do what happened here.

{edit} Fixed Quotes.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Yu's contention was that he did stop, but that the officers simply sat in their car, so he drove on. But the big tip off for the street cops was this little matter of race. Exactly the reason for my op --- as it relates to Arizona. You got an Asian guy without a rear plate, (which is chump change) maybe you want to make it something bigger... maybe not---but you REALLY don't want this guy to just ignore you.

You see he's headed into consulate grounds, (don't give us any BS that a cop on the beat every day doesn't know this...) As a beat cop you really have only one option: Radio dispatch to report to the consulate a possible security breach----so that the rather extensive---assigned police contingent can investigate from there, or you can break all protocol and do what happened here.

I don't see how it relates to AZ ... it is normal for the police to not get out of their cars after they stop you until they have contacted dispatch and checked the situation. Yu does not say how long he waited for but does it really matter. When you stop for the police you wait for them to come to you not drive off.

I seen and had meetings/dinner with enough Chinese govt officals to know what a "dick who thinks there shit dont stink" they can be .. I side with the Houston police.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Lets look at this from the beat cop's perspective. He pulls over a car with no rear plates. While he is still doing required 'housekeeping' duties (radioing location and reason for stop, getting paperwork) the car suddenly takes off... Any policeman would assume person has something to hide and takes chase. Car attempts to go into parking structure, policeman follows.

Now given events in world wide, I would not doubt that the policeman had thoughts of "Large car, no plates, running away, trying to go into a parking facility.... SUICIDE CAR BOMB!!!!"

Now if he knew it was the Chinese Consulate he could have assumed it could have been in response to China's actions in Tibet and felt that public safety trumped national sovergnity. If he didn't know he still would have assumed it was a public danger.

Now back to the stop, If you have ever seen "COPS", there are numerous instances where they pull over a car for a minor infraction, like a burned out tailight, only to drive off the moment the officer gets out. When finally caught I'll hear the cop ask "Why did you run?" and the person respond "I had a gun under the seat." or "I had a pound of marijuana in the trunk." The cops response is usually "You idiot, I was just pulling you over for having a taillight out, I would have given you a warning and let you go, now you're going to jail."