Employment for my Chinese Wife

Cody

My wife immigrated from China five years ago. When she first arrived, she spoke almost no English at all. Today, her language skills have improved and she can easily engage in a casual English conversation.

She has tried different jobs over the years, but they were all minimum wage jobs. She eventually became discouraged with each one and quit. Ultimately, she wants to earn a college degree or some sort of certification... anything to help her earn a decent wage. Finances are really tight in our one income household.

The problem is that she is probably reading at a 5th grade level, which is a long way from what is needed for college or even to earn a GED.

So I have several questions:

1. Does she even need to get a GED, since she completed two years of college in China? If not, how do we get her credentials transfered and recognized here?

2. How do I get her speaking, reading, and writing skills quickly up to par? Is her dream of getting career training or attending college even reasonable?

3. What are some possible careers for someone with limited English skills? Does anyone have a success story to share?

Thanks!

1) No Ged needed, however some jobs may want to see college report evaluated. Several agencies out there that can do this.

2) ESL classes either at a college or other schools.

Here is a story I posted about a month ago.

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41204

So yes, it is possible. She will have to work extra hard, but after watching my wife, our gals are nothing short of amazing.

Get her high school diploma from China. Then have it translated by a professional organization here in the US. My wife's school had it done as a service to her.

She can take what is considered Intensive ESL classes. These are usually much more expensive than the community college. The community college only works toward the student making it in every day life in the US. The Intensive ESL classes are designed to help the foreign student pass the English entrance exams for college. My wife took two months worth and it was well worth the additional cost.

She can also opt to take vocational training. College entrance exams may or may not be necessary depending on the schools requirements. One massage school wanted my wife to pass the college entrance exam, another school did not. The second school was selected not only for that reason, but they seemed to be more carrying about their students.

Don't worry it is absolutely possible.

1. Does she even need to get a GED, since she completed two years of college in China? If not, how do we get her credentials transfered and recognized here?

I can't answer the other questions, but this one we have done.

We got her transcript from the college in China, and they supplied in in english, no problem.

Then we brought it to the community college, they validated it, and enrolled her.

She can now transfer to other colleges if she wanted.

As for the job, my response is not as promising as others.

My wife speaks pretty good English. My friends can mostly understand her, and she can understand them.

She tried and tried, and could not even get minimum wage job.

Finally she got a nurse aid certificate from the state. It was through a class at the community college.

The work was very hard, but she can get a job in one day, any time she wishes.

Then, she decided that was too hard, and went to night school for a summer and got a medication aid certificate. They also work at nursing homes, but their only job is to dispense medicine. Much easier.

Still, after all that study, and work, the pay is only 10 - 12 $ per hour.

I still do not know a good job for my wife. :)

My wife started out with ESL classes at the local tech college. That went well then she started taking GED classes. After a lot of searching she found a job as a laundry assistant at a hotel. She quit to go back to school to become a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant. It's easy to find a job, but like the other poster said it's hard work. Her first priority is to finish up the GED. It's amazing what she can accomplish when she's on the right track.

I think it is important to get that first job in America on the resume. It will open a lot of doors to better things. My advice is just keep looking. Cindy's English really came along quickly. The ESL classes were a huge help. Plus just being here, talking with friends and relatives, watching TV, yelling at me, etc!

Jon & Cindy

With the way the economy is,finding a job is pretty tough. I think anything in the medical field (nurse,x ray tech, etc..)is good.I am in the Dental field ,we are doing great (this is our best year since being in business for 7 years ).X wife is the medical field,she seems to be doing good also......my wife now, she works in the hotel,very,very hard work,but her english is still not that good.She plans to go back to school.I think improvements in english will obviously always help in getting a better job.

Jimi

my wife was working in a chinese bakery store in nyc chinatown. she was earning 3 dollars per hour, 7am to 6 pm, monday off - no benefits at all, only free lunch and all the coffee/tea/cold drinks and bakery you can eat. she did it for 3 months and quite. she is now learning ELS in a community center, free tuition.

its very hard to find work when you cant speak/understand english. she is doing well, picking up english and speak in simple full sentences. she has a long way to go. its 1 year and 3 weeks that she is here in nyc.

my wife was working in a chinese bakery store in nyc chinatown. she was earning 3 dollars per hour, 7am to 6 pm, monday off - no benefits at all, only free lunch and all the coffee/tea/cold drinks and bakery you can eat. she did it for 3 months and quite. she is now learning ELS in a community center, free tuition.

its very hard to find work when you cant speak/understand english. she is doing well, picking up english and speak in simple full sentences. she has a long way to go. its 1 year and 3 weeks that she is here in nyc.

I thought the MIN Wage in NY was $7.25/hr?

yes, the min wage in ny is 7.25/hr but she was working in a chinese business and they dont take taxes out, all cash transactions. its the same for most resturants in chinatown and very common too. this is one way an owner can take advantage of you where the wokers dont know english and the law, and most workers need the money so they keep quiet and go with the flow. life goes on.

edit: i meant my wife do not pay any taxes.

Edited by george lee (see edit history)

The cost of living in NY-NJ is just as high as that in MA. NY is also a Democratic stronghold. I am surprised that NY min wage is $7.25 (it is $8 in MA). Even if at $7.25, after 30% taxes taken out, workers should get $5 an hour take-home pay.

yes, the min wage in ny is 7.25/hr but she was working in a chinese business and they dont take taxes out, all cash transactions. its the same for most resturants in chinatown and very common too. this is one way an owner can take advantage of you where the wokers dont know english and the law, and most workers need the money so they keep quiet and go with the flow. life goes on.

Kind of a pisser for those of us who pay taxes per the law ...

Kind of a pisser for those of us who pay taxes per the law ...

i hear you...what can you do...people in chinatown been doing it over 100 years...they run their business their way with no outsiders.