DCF for my non-chinese non-resident wife OK?

I am a twenty-somethng American, studying abroad in China. I have been living here in China for 7 months.

I married my SO in Japan last month during spring break, we had been

in a relationship for about 5 years, (of which 2 years were living

together) and now we finally tied the knot.

I would like to DCF in Guangzhou for my Japanese SO (who resides in Japan). She would be willing to fly in to Guangzhou for her interview.

Has anyone heard of a case like this?

Is it possible?

What are some obstacles I might face?

The Guangzhou consulate site doesn't prohibit it, but it also doesn't

explicitly approve it.

Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xiaofeizhu is the only member here I know of that married in Japan (I think) and DCFed in China. Her husband is Chinese and she is American but they were both living in China when they filed. Since your wife is not Chinese or living in China I don't know if you can DCF in GZ or not. If you still have a resident permit for living in Japan you may be able to DCF in Japan if the consulate there allows it. I would send xiaofeizhu a PM for more information. I have a hunch you will have to file an I-130 stateside and her interview in Japan. I do remember that she had a very difficult time getting police reports for the time her husband lived in Japan. Others may know more.

It may be possible, but I would guess that she would interview at her own consulate.

It may be worth a try, but there may not be any actual benefit over filing stateside and using the electronic processing. Let us know what you find out.

It may be possible, but I would guess that she would interview at her own consulate.

It may be worth a try, but there may not be any actual benefit over filing stateside and using the electronic processing. Let us know what you find out.

Do I have to be stateside to file stateside?

No.

Whether filing stateside or DCF, you will need a US domicile by the time of the interview. If you have one NOW, you may file stateside, using that address.

What I'm thinking is that filing stateside MAY have less of a confusion factor (the consulate at Guangzhou would have to forward the petition to a Japan consulate, which they rarely, if ever do). It may, or may not be worth considering. Just an idea.

I believe to DCF both US Citizen and Foreign citizen need to be living together is same country.

I believe you recently had one member DCF through Guangzhou where foreign spouse was from another country I believe Russian, but in that case they were living in China.

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37760

In your case it looks like you will be filing this to the Chicago PO Box.

You will need to be able to show US Domicile when it gets to NVC and they request I-864, US domicile is required for I-864, An I-864 IS required from petitioner.

I'm not sure if DCF is the same, but I think for IR/CR, the visa must be issued in the country where the marraige took place. Once the domicile and financials are worked out, she will probably interview in Japan.

That is correct, interview takes place in country of citizenship (Japan)

Wouldn't interviewing in Japan be a smoother and easier process? I would guess so since it would have fewer applicants and it is much richer than China.

It's interesting to find someone seeking out the GUZ machinery.

Correct Tokyo tends to be less of a problem that Guangzhou, they deal with MUCH less visa fraud there.

BUT - DCF is filed in the country of residence of the petitioner. So, unless it is ALSO a requirement (possibly imposed by GUZ) that the beneficiary resides in the same country, he just may be able to do it.

The USCIS folks at GUZ would need to forward the petition to Japan - remember that he would ONLY be dealing with USCIS (not DOS) at GUZ.

But I'm thinking that the confusion factor may get in the way to eliminate any benefit from doing this.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

BUT - DCF is filed in the country of residence of the petitioner. So, unless it is ALSO a requirement (possibly imposed by GUZ) that the beneficiary resides in the same country, he just may be able to do it.

The USCIS folks at GUZ would need to forward the petition to Japan - remember that he would ONLY be dealing with USCIS (not DOS) at GUZ.

But I'm thinking that the confusion factor may get in the way to eliminate any benefit from doing this.

I agree with Randy. I think he can do it but I would just file stateside and use the electronic processing. Who knows how long it would take to get from USCIS in GUZ to Japan.