little worried about my income

Need some advice.

I'm retired and my income is only my S/S, around $18.000.00 per year.

On the I-864 form my wife and I will use our home in California as assets, it was appraised at $245,000.00 also we will use our appartment in Xiamen as an asset, appraised at $100,000 which we will sell before going to the USA. We have about $90,000.00 in savings, CD's etc in the USA.

QUESTION:

What does anyone think, should I get a co-sponser because my yearly income is below the fed. poverty level for a family of 3. Getting a co-sponser will be a problem, really don't want to do that.

Thanks

Steve

Assets are fine as long as they are easily liquidated.

In this case you are sending I-864 to NVC to be handled, if NVC wants more they will tell you.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Assets are fine as long as they are easily liquidated.

In this case you are sending I-864 to NVC to be handled, if NVC wants more they will tell you.

I agree with Dan. You might have a shot just as you are. I would wait to see if they ask for more.

You might want to show that your wife can be a source of income as well when she comes soon after to the US if possible.

Good Luck!!

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

Need some advice.

On the I-864 form my wife and I will use our home in California as assets, it was appraised at $245,000.00 also we will use our appartment in Xiamen as an asset, appraised at $100,000 which we will sell before going to the USA. We have about $90,000.00 in savings, CD's etc in the USA.

QUESTION:

What does anyone think, should I get a co-sponser because my yearly income is below the fed. poverty level for a family of 3. Getting a co-sponser will be a problem, really don't want to do that.

Thanks

Steve

I am retired also. At the K1 Interview in Dec 09, the VO made the comment that my income is low, $18,000 for 2. I have 2 houses, clear deed/title, plenty in CDs at bank, rental income, but did not impress the VO. I have filed I-130 this time,April, so I will go with the co-sponsor just to try to avoid any problems. Good Luck,,,,,Bob,,,,,,

NVC is not going to evaluate your level of income as needing something or not; either you submitted the right documents or you didn't.

An expensive house really means nothing; are you going to sell it and then live on the street?

Any way you try to explain how you can use those assets will fall on deaf ears, IMO.

NVC is not going to evaluate your level of income as needing something or not; either you submitted the right documents or you didn't.

An expensive house really means nothing; are you going to sell it and then live on the street?

Any way you try to explain how you can use those assets will fall on deaf ears, IMO.

Very true. Assets need to be LIQUID easily converted to cash. A house may if it is a second home and a good sellers market. A car if the car is a second car not your daily driver. Assets are only worth 1/3 income that is income falls below the line by 1000 then assets need to be worth 3000.

Good assets are cash in a savings account that has been there a while, a 401k, gold etc... If using a second car it needs to be appraised.

Need some advice.

QUESTION:

Thanks

Steve

I am retired also. At the K1 Interview in Dec 09, the VO made the comment that my income is low, $18,000 for 2. I have 2 houses, clear deed/title, plenty in CDs at bank, rental income, but did not impress the VO. I have filed I-130 this time,April, so I will go with the co-sponsor just to try to avoid any problems. Good Luck,,,,,Bob,,,,,,

Good luck guys...

My wife just saw a woman get a blue slip at her interview because her Vietnam vet husband's taxfree $3,990 monthly income from the VA and SSDI didn't measure up. The blue slip stated one thing...he needed a co-sponsor.

Looks like the DOS doesn't even trust the rest of the American government. Wonders never cease when dealing with the visa thugs in Guano.

:lol: I may well wind up living in China, having a bank send over my VA and SSDI money... :unsure: IF damn near $48,000 taxfree paid for by Uncle Scam ain't enough money then my fifty something thousand probably ain't gonna be either. :ph34r:

tsap seui

Need some advice.

QUESTION:

Thanks

Steve

Good luck guys...

My wife just saw a woman get a blue slip at her interview because her Vietnam vet husband's taxfree $3,990 monthly income from the VA and SSDI didn't measure up. The blue slip stated one thing...he needed a co-sponsor.

Looks like the DOS doesn't even trust the rest of the American government. Wonders never cease when dealing with the visa thugs in Guano.

:lol: I may well wind up living in China, having a bank send over my VA and SSDI money... :unsure: IF damn near $48,000 taxfree paid for by Uncle Scam ain't enough money then my fifty something thousand probably ain't gonna be either. :ph34r:

tsap seui

Well Tsap it also depends on how many people are in his household. If it was just him and his wife than $48,000 tax free seems good. If he has others living in the household then it is a different story..

The government instructions states that net value of assets can be used. But GUZ does not care what government insturctions state. Owning a home 100% I do not have to pay rent or house payments, so I do not need a big income, Guz does not care. Having rental income, Guz does not care, rent is not always steady. Have a good sum of money in retirement CDs for a long period of time, to make up for low income, Guz does not care. Guz wants to see good steady income for 3 years, and at present date also, other than that, get a co-sponsor......................