Another I-134 question

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

After reading the laterst topics as far as TIN #, getting this, filing joint, I now think that I am going to have to file an extension this year, so will they take notarized copies of 2002 taxes along with pay receipts for 2003, or is there some other proof that they are going to want to see???

Thanks everyone.

Guest blsqueaky

OhOh, did I finally come up with a question that has everyone stumped. Right now I am not even sure who I could call to get an answer to this question, without getting lots of run around.

Interesting Dilemma.

You wish to file as "married" filing jointly. In theory, you should qualify because you have been married for a half a year, and are sending her support money, even though she hasn't been to the USA yet.

However, your wife will be unable to get her SSN until AFTER her interview about mid year next year, and she will need the affidavit at the interview.

Sorry, I have filed K1…. Now it is costing me over $3K in deductions. But, I still believe that the K1 was appropriate in my case.

Somebody else must be in a situation like yours, but I would contact the IRS and see what they can tell you. If you start this time of year, perhaps you will be better off than waiting till next April.

An option that you might consider:

File as married, filing separately (or as single).

As soon as you have a SSN for your wife, send in a amendment to your return and try to get your refund.

Is there a form to submit an estimated income / tax when you file for an extension? Maybe you could send that one in instead of the 1040 form. Send in a few W2 forms for good measure.

----- Clifford -----

After reading the laterst topics as far as TIN #, getting this, filing joint, I now think that I am going to have to file an extension this year, so will they take notarized copies of 2002 taxes along with pay receipts for 2003, or is there some other proof that they are going to want to see???

Thanks everyone.

If I recall, GZ only wants the most recent tax returns. If you are on extension for 2003, I would recommend taking a copy of the automatic extension form (IRS Form 4868) along with everything else just to show why the 2003 return hasn't been filed yet.

Guest blsqueaky

Thanks for the help. This morning received an email from her, and she stated that she can now not get the realated paperwork from her previous job, since the government closed the school down, and it became a private school now.

Looks like I get to spend monday sitting on hold while trying to get answers from IRS as now what to do, like also how to show proof of support.

[if I recall, GZ only wants the most recent tax returns.  If you are on extension for 2003, I would recommend taking a copy of the automatic extension form (IRS Form 4868) along with everything else just to show why the 2003 return hasn't been filed yet.

Bingo! This is the correct answer. And the tax forms do not need to be notarized. Only the I-134 needs notarized. GZ only requires the most recent tax form. Might as well send them the most recent 3 years, since you will need 3 years for the I-864 anyway (after she gets here).