At NVC, is this becoming standard?

Are they starting a new trend of routinely asking for the ex-husbands "permission" to allow the child to go to America on CR-1 applications? Even when the mother has legal custody?

I realize they "sometimes" ask for that, but lil' rabbit is seeing it more and more, one woman said it's becoming a standard at the NVC stage.

Anyone see this as a new standard hoop to jump through?

tsap seui

It has always been something to be concerned about but I haven't noticed any increase. It's a tough issue. If the father is still somewhere abouts and is amicable to the idea of the child leaving then it would be a good idea to get a notarized statement from him. If he is not reasonable and she has full custody make sure you have a notarial translated white book stating the terms of custody.

Are they starting a new trend of routinely asking for the ex-husbands "permission" to allow the child to go to America on CR-1 applications? Even when the mother has legal custody?

I realize they "sometimes" ask for that, but lil' rabbit is seeing it more and more, one woman said it's becoming a standard at the NVC stage.

tsap seui

The problem (I suspect) is that sometimes legal custody is not spelled out in black and white in a Chinese divorce certificate.

My wife's divorce said something like "<wifes name> will be responsible for the child <daughters name>".

That is not quite the same as the American wording for "wife has legal custody, and the ex has no visitation rights".

We didnt take any chances, even though it was a pia, we got a notarized statement from the father, and sure enough they did ask for it.

tsap seui

The problem (I suspect) is that sometimes legal custody is not spelled out in black and white in a Chinese divorce certificate.

My wife's divorce said something like "<wifes name> will be responsible for the child <daughters name>".

That is not quite the same as the American wording for "wife has legal custody, and the ex has no visitation rights".

We didnt take any chances, even though it was a pia, we got a notarized statement from the father, and sure enough they did ask for it.

Yeah...rabbits divorce decree says, child to be supported by both parents with the father paying X amount each month until whenever...child to live with mother.

Okay, notarized statement? As in notarized and translated like a white book, well, in effect, we need a white book, right? Is that what you got, buddy?

tsap seui

My opinion is that yes, it is becoming a standard requirement at NVC. One of the checklist items on my CR-2 was notarized letter of permission from the father to allow her to come to USA even though he has not seen her since the divorce and has never paid a dime (or HK dollar in this case) of support. I was a little concerned he may try to extort money in exchange for permission, but qizi told me if he tried that she was going to tell him if he didn't give her the letter of permission she would take him to court for child support including back support...hehe...clever girl. In the end she didn't have to threaten him because he easily gave permission for my daughter to come. I guess to be fair though, NVC has no way of knowing how involved or in most cases uninvolved the ex-spouse is, so they cover their a$$ with the permission requirement.

Edited by HongKong2LA (see edit history)

My opinion is that yes, it is becoming a standard requirement at NVC. One of the checklist items on my CR-2 was notarized letter of permission from the father to allow her to come to USA even though he has not seen her since the divorce and has never paid a dime (or HK dollar in this case) of support. I was a little concerned he may try to extort money in exchange for permission, but qizi told me if he tried that she was going to tell him if he didn't give her the letter of permission she would take him to court for child support including back support...hehe...clever girl. In the end she didn't have to threaten him because he easily gave permission for my daughter to come. I guess to be fair though, NVC has no way of knowing how involved or in most cases uninvolved the ex-spouse is, so they cover their a$$ with the permission requirement.

How did you work his permission statement? Is it another white book with translation, etc.? Please lay it out for me and tell me what you did. :bullshit:

tsap seui

How did you work his permission statement? Is it another white book with translation, etc.? Please lay it out for me and tell me what you did. :bullshit:

tsap seui

It was really pretty simple. My wife and the ex met at a public notary office in HK and drafted a very short statement saying he gave his permission for daughter to immigrate to the usa. It was about two sentences long, stating his name, daughters name and words to the effect, "I am (ex-name here), I give permission to (daughters name) to immigrate to the USA." That was it. The notary office also translated it into english and notarized his idenity and certified the translation of the letter into english. Hong Kong can be a lot different than mainland but if you can't find a public notary, you can get a notary done at the US consulate in Shenyang, probably just cost more than a local notary would, but it's only money right.

Here's a link to the US consulate website regarding notary services at the US consulate in Shenyang.

http://shenyang.usembassy-china.org.cn/notary-services.html

Edited by HongKong2LA (see edit history)

How did you work his permission statement? Is it another white book with translation, etc.? Please lay it out for me and tell me what you did. :)

tsap seui

It was really pretty simple. My wife and the ex met at a public notary office in HK and drafted a very short statement saying he gave his permission for daughter to immigrate to the usa. It was about two sentences long, stating his name, daughters name and words to the effect, "I am (ex-name here), I give permission to (daughters name) to immigrate to the USA." That was it. The notary office also translated it into english and notarized his idenity and certified the translation of the letter into english. Hong Kong can be a lot different than mainland but if you can't find a public notary, you can get a notary done at the US consulate in Shenyang, probably just cost more than a local notary would, but it's only money right.

Here's a link to the US consulate website regarding notary services at the US consulate in Shenyang.

http://shenyang.usembassy-china.org.cn/notary-services.html

Thanks a lot, buddy. :)

We just went through this Chinese notary office thing when we tried to get 6 supporting statements as to our bona fide relationship and marriage...in her city they WILL make a white book, just like for a birth certificate, etc.

tsap seui

When my ex-wife and I were going through the process, she went to the notarial office and they produced this affidavit which she and her ex-husband signed. It included both the Chinese and the English translation, and was notarized in the white book format.

"I,the undersigned, (father's name) and (mother's name) registered for our divorce in Shen Yang city, Liaoning Province on (date) ,one legitimate daughter (daughter's name) (female,born on XX-XX-XXXX) belongs to her mother to foster. now (mother's name) intends to go to the USA.I state hereby that I agree my daughter (daughter's name) to live with her mother (mother's name) in USA."

When my ex-wife and I were going through the process, she went to the notarial office and they produced this affidavit which she and her ex-husband signed. It included both the Chinese and the English translation, and was notarized in the white book format.

"I,the undersigned, (father's name) and (mother's name) registered for our divorce in Shen Yang city, Liaoning Province on (date) ,one legitimate daughter (daughter's name) (female,born on XX-XX-XXXX) belongs to her mother to foster. now (mother's name) intends to go to the USA.I state hereby that I agree my daughter (daughter's name) to live with her mother (mother's name) in USA."

Thank ya Stepbrow, looks like yet another copy of a white book will soon be front loaded. :jerry:

I like how you guys wrote it up, and I sent the wording to lil' rabbit.

I jest love finding new things to pre-load...I carry notebooks of terlet paper to write new, and old, evidence on so I can send it in...not so much for USCIS and NVC but for the express reading pleasure of my dodo eatin' friends in the consulate in Guano....a lil' something for them to read while they choke down a "steamer"...hey Ms DOS lady, ya want rice with that? :worthy:

LIke I always say, shoot the "dead" in the head, and leave no stone or turd unturned...ya just never know which one may jump up and take a bite out of yore negligent ass.

Thanks to all you fellers who answered, and thanks for the PM my friend...looks like our two Chinese wimmins have the same train of thought. :) China...ya jest can't help but love it. :bangin:

tsap seui

Mission accomplished...the white book with Bubba J. R.'s.'s dad givin' his permission for him to go live in America is being printed up and will be in the mail to me in a couple of days. :) NVC frontload will soon be complete. Not that I'm complainin' in the least bit, but the fee for the white book has risen to 585 Chinese smackers. :D Thanks to all and especially to Stepbrow for his outline.

A color copy of Bubba J. R.'s new passport will be in the mail with the permission white book, another 560 Chinese smackers but well worth it for the peace of mind. Kids passports are only for 5 years and we got him one back in 2007 for the first interview and trip to America...oh yeah. :P

If J.R. and lil' rabbit are allowed to step upon the shores of America, Home of the Free...Paid for by the Brave, in 2011, I only intend to make any trips to DC as pleasure ones...NOT TO SEE ANY F'ing OFICIALS of any flavor. :P...so even though his current passport didn't expire till mid 2012 I figgered we'll make a hop skip and a jump to Chinertucky within a year of their arrival and I want no stress, no hassles, and no governmental intervention from anyone in the US of A, not even Chinertuckian type governmental imployees. NONE, I tells ya...at least any that I can help prevent. ;)

Looks like May 14th will be the day the brown eighteen wheeler from UPS will arrive to have the fork lift insert our CR-1-2 application into the bowels of the trailer for it's delivery to the USCIS. :D

The application is nothin'...it's the front load for the jackals in Guangzhou that is the "bitch"....have fun readin' IV unit. :D

I don't care if the P-2 takes 6 months, we don't want no stinkin' interview until Jan or Feb of 2011, if the P-2 comes early, I'll stall everything at NVC...the only American officials I want my family to have to deal with when they come over is when they watch some peckerheaded Mr Customs Man strip search me when I walk through the passport line with them...all in the name of Homeland Security mind you. ;) Mebbe I'll take off all my clothes, down to my oversized polka dotted boxers, in the passport line-up to save those ol' boys who are "just doin' our job" the trouble. B) Welcome to America...BABY!!!! YEEEHAWWWWW

tsap seui :)