Buying Cigarettes in China

Guest Tony n Terrific

Yes they can...have done this before....rong would send to me 2 cartons at a time...is a little pricey, but personally, i prefer the chinese cigarettes.."Double Happiness" brand....and they aren't those crappy fire safety smokes either which is a big plus to me...The Double Happiness are among the cheaper brands, so when you figure in the cost of sending them, they are about the same as buying them here...maybe just a tad cheaper...i hear you can also get them from canada too....have a friend nearby that runs the local chinese grocery store and he and also his parents go back to china once or twice a year and they always bring them back for us too.....as i said, can only send two cartons at a time....if you want, can send two cartons each day, or have two or three people there each send to you two cartons....certainly better than what is available here....when i would come back from my visits to Rong, I would always bring back 15 to 20 cartons packed away in the checked luggage (never had my luggage searched in my 9 trips there)...as for how to do it, just box them up and send them via the postal service, or ems.

Yes they can...have done this before....rong would send to me 2 cartons at a time...is a little pricey, but personally, i prefer the chinese cigarettes.."Double Happiness" brand....and they aren't those crappy fire safety smokes either which is a big plus to me...The Double Happiness are among the cheaper brands, so when you figure in the cost of sending them, they are about the same as buying them here...maybe just a tad cheaper...i hear you can also get them from canada too....have a friend nearby that runs the local chinese grocery store and he and also his parents go back to china once or twice a year and they always bring them back for us too.....as i said, can only send two cartons at a time....if you want, can send two cartons each day, or have two or three people there each send to you two cartons....certainly better than what is available here....when i would come back from my visits to Rong, I would always bring back 15 to 20 cartons packed away in the checked luggage (never had my luggage searched in my 9 trips there)...as for how to do it, just box them up and send them via the postal service, or ems.

There's an orange jumpsuit with your name on it just waiting for you when they do open your luggage and check.

There's a limit of something like two cartons. Over that and you have customs problems and also state revenue agents looking for you because you've evaded state taxes on tobacco products.

Still, the chances of getting caught are probably minimal.

I was returning to the US from Cuba a couple years ago. I landed in Nassau and was going through Bahamian Customs and the guy in front of me in line had 17 boxes of Cuban cigars in his luggage...They allow 2 boxes duty free, but the other 15 boxes cost him 100% duty. I spoke to him when leaving the airport and he said he would still make money on them...que sera'. :)

I was returning to the US from Cuba a couple years ago. I landed in Nassau and was going through Bahamian Customs and the guy in front of me in line had 17 boxes of Cuban cigars in his luggage...They allow 2 boxes duty free, but the other 15 boxes cost him 100% duty. I spoke to him when leaving the airport and he said he would still make money on them...que sera'. :rolleyes:

If his ultimate destination was the US, he'd have to get a fantastic price per box to even cover his bail. ;)

Things could be a little better now, though.

You better pray your stuff is not searched, HUGE fine and jail time if you're caught. The limit is 2 cartons per package for mail and 2 cartons per person per trip.

I have my mother-in-law send me 2 cartons and it's cheaper then here even after shipping.

Yun Yan is the brand I liked, it's a Mongolian brand.

I was returning to the US from Cuba a couple years ago. I landed in Nassau and was going through Bahamian Customs and the guy in front of me in line had 17 boxes of Cuban cigars in his luggage...They allow 2 boxes duty free, but the other 15 boxes cost him 100% duty. I spoke to him when leaving the airport and he said he would still make money on them...que sera'. <_<

If his ultimate destination was the US, he'd have to get a fantastic price per box to even cover his bail. :huh:

Nothing is any better now...the US embargo is still in force going on 50 years...stupid and ridiculous!

Guest Tony n Terrific

I was returning to the US from Cuba a couple years ago. I landed in Nassau and was going through Bahamian Customs and the guy in front of me in line had 17 boxes of Cuban cigars in his luggage...They allow 2 boxes duty free, but the other 15 boxes cost him 100% duty. I spoke to him when leaving the airport and he said he would still make money on them...que sera'. :rolleyes:

If his ultimate destination was the US, he'd have to get a fantastic price per box to even cover his bail. ;)

My County Mounties caught a fellow smuggling cigarettes from Kentucky to Canada. The cigs in Ky where about .80 a pack. Canada they where retailing for about $5 a pack. This idiot stopped at a Interstate Gas Station to gas up and he open his delivery van and there was a cop cruiser just sitting there behind him. The cop was not even suspicous until he saw all the boxes of cigs. He got arrested and was charged with contraband of bringing illegal cigs into Ohio. He was about 275 miles from Canada. They confiscated his van all the cigarettes. He was hit with a $10,000 fine and 6 months in the county jail.