Teaching jobs in China

Guest jin979

I think they actually pay one of the students in each class to go up to the teacher at the end of the period to complain about how they couldn't understand what was said - Could they please speak more slowly? and provide a list of vocabulary words?

Overall, however, I would rate the students here as excellent and interested in learning what I can.

There's an aspect of this that I haven't seen mentioned - kids at the university level may have six years or more of English in their background, but it's all from Chinese speaking teachers. They may have a better working knowledge of English than some of us (at least enough to pass their WRITTEN English exams), but they are lacking in intelligibility (both to understand and to be understood by a native English teacher). That is where WE come in.

Out of, say, 100 students, maybe 2 or 3 can carry on an intelligible conversation with a native English speaker. These are usually the ones who learned their English from movies - they can learn from constant repetitions of English spoken by native English speakers, with the cultural situations that will make them be more comfortable around us. I've seen this several, times, including one guy in Thailand. How else can you get such intense, one-on-one tutoring?

Any class in China usually has one student (called °à³¤ "banzhang", which I would translate roughly to something like "class leader") who mediates between teacher and students. When other students need something (e.g., they miss class and need to know what happened) they often just contact the banzhang.

- or - monitor is what they're called here. One of my classes has two, since there are two different levels.

When I was in school we just called them the "teacher's pet".... :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Alan, I was the teacher's pet both years during my Chinese study! :rotfl:

Ok I guess Jin let the cat out out of the bag :blink:

yes we are moving to the middle kingdom, I have my post grad cert in education (PGCE) from the UK and TEFL, so we got quite a few offers, in the end we accepted Beijing university.Z visa is done, estate sale soon.

Very interesting thread on different experiences, is this in any way related to your teaching styles and qualifications or rigid pre-determined curriculum ?

Had you ever been a teacher before ?

All the best to you two, Rob and Jin. I suppose this wasn't such a big surprise to many of us who've read Jin's post since arriving here. :lol:

By the way, what do your boys think of dad living so far away and how will you deal with child support?

Ok I guess Jin let the cat out out of the bag :blink:

yes we are moving to the middle kingdom, I have my post grad cert in education (PGCE) from the UK and TEFL, so we got quite a few offers, in the end we accepted Beijing university.Z visa is done, estate sale soon.

Very interesting thread on different experiences, is this in any way related to your teaching styles and qualifications or rigid pre-determined curriculum ?

All the best to you two, Rob and Jin. I suppose this wasn't such a big surprise to many of us who've read Jin's post since arriving here. :lol:

By the way, what do your boys think of dad living so far away and how will you deal with child support?

I was wondering the same thing as the $600 increase in Robs child support payments a month ago will be over half of what an english teacher in China makes on the average. Most start out at about 8000 yuan a month and the $600 a month increase per month will be about 4080 yuan per month. That is not to mention anything about how much his original child support payments were. Its going to be tight.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

Ok I guess Jin let the cat out out of the bag :rolleyes:

All the best to you two, Rob and Jin. I suppose this wasn't such a big surprise to many of us who've read Jin's post since arriving here. ;)

I was wondering the same thing as the $600 increase in Robs child support payments a month ago will be over half of what an english teacher in China makes on the average. Most start out at about 8000 yuan a month and the $600 a month increase per month will be about 4080 yuan per month. That is not to mention anything about how much his original child support payments were. Its going to be tight.

Larry

A man/woman should be obligated to support their kids. I always found it unique that the very people who encourage divorce and the destruction of a family by having partime parents are so admant about the man supporting his children and then supporting the government that is hateful to a family values.

Ok I guess Jin let the cat out out of the bag :rolleyes:

All the best to you two, Rob and Jin. I suppose this wasn't such a big surprise to many of us who've read Jin's post since arriving here. ;)

Larry

I have never met Rob, but basis his posts here, I am sure he has a plan and has considered all these personal issues before making this decision. I just wish them the best!

Child support is based on income, NOT necessarily the needs of the child. He is not legally responsible for any more than his fair share, although it may take a court order to change the amount previously agreed to, if need be. I'm sure Rob is VERY capable of dealing with this in a PRIVATE and equitable manner.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Child support is based on income, NOT necessarily the needs of the child. He is not legally responsible for any more than his fair share, although it may take a court order to change the amount previously agreed to, if need be. I'm sure Rob is VERY capable of dealing with this in a PRIVATE and equitable manner.

A guy not responsible for any more than his fair share? Thats cute. Maybe in theory but certainly not in practice. I am in a very similar situation as Rob and I certainly feel his pain.

Although I agree that this is a private matter, Rob has chosen to make this matter public on this forum in a couple different threads. The questions above are natural and understandable inquiries to some of his posts.

You insinuate that Rob might be able to lower child support based on his recent employment/income developments. I dont see that happening. What he did would be considered as voluntary underemployment by the court and will not merit child support modification. Also most states have a 12 to 18 month moratorium after support has been modified before the matter can be brought back to the court for further modification. But, again, I dont think it would do him any good. It might even cost him more due to not having any regular visitation (weekends, etc) with them.

But you're probably right that he is very capable of dealing with this. He seems like a good limey commie.

But you're probably right that he is very capable of dealing with this.

PRIVATELY

Randy I greatly respect you and always have but Rob and Jin brought this matter here and made it public common knowledge for discussion and even ask advice as to how to get a good job/teaching in China. No one has openly ridiculed he and Jin or even condemned he or she. Just discussing what they have posted on obviously for comments and advice from the members here or at least to find out how the members here feel about this issue. No one has been belligerent, disrespectful or done any finger pointing at them, at least that I know of.

As bcco pointed out it will take a court order to change the amount of child support that he is making not just the fact that his income has been reduced by him by volunteering to go to another country and taking a much lower income job but that will be up to a judge to decide. It will take a long time for all of this legal action to take place and all the time the monthly child support payments will continue at their present amount. I don't think that a judge here in the US will take likely to that.

I had a first cousin in a similar situation that quit his job on a federal reservation and took a job as a security guard at a beacon plant for minimum wages. The judge would not reduce his child support payments. He did however offer to put him in jail if he did not make them. The judge told him that if he came before him again on this matter he would guarantee him some free meals and room and board. His ex remarried to a Lt. Colonel in the Marine Corps but the judge would not reduce my cousins payments. He got his job on the federal reservation back and made the back payments and continued to make the payment until his son reached 18 yo.

It will be up to a judge and not up to any of us here that is for sure. If Rob's ex is as vindictive as he says she is she will certainly pursue the case. If Rob is still a citizen of the UK and he is moving to China and his children are here in the us and are US citizens then I can see that it might be more difficult for his ex to collect but she will have the US court system and the US Government on her side you can bet on that.

Larry

Congratulations Bob and Jin for the job offer. Beijing University is one of the two top norch universities in China everyone wants to go to. Some of my students are there, maybe you will teach them.

What subject matter do you teach? How about Jin?

Hey Rob,

If you are teaching regular courses at Univ Beijing, I guess I don't have to remind you that if you have ever taught at a specific academic rank at any college/university in the past, that you should be able to teach in China at that rank or above. Univ Beijing is the caliber of university which I would expect to honor academic rank.

(and btw----congratulations !) :D

It will be up to a judge and not up to any of us here that is for sure. If Rob's ex is as vindictive as he says she is she will certainly pursue the case. If Rob is still a citizen of the UK and he is moving to China and his children are here in the us and are US citizens then I can see that it might be more difficult for his ex to collect but she will have the US court system and the US Government on her side you can bet on that.

Larry

But trying to get Rob to lay out his checkbook for all to see would seem to be WAY beyond the scope of this board.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations Bob and Jin for the job offer. Beijing University is one of the two top norch universities in China everyone wants to go to. Some of my students are there, maybe you will teach them.

What subject matter do you teach? How about Jin?

yes congratulations and welcome to China :blink:

Milan, they can't post anymore to answer your questions and we can't PM them also.

Edited by Tangtui (see edit history)