Newark (EWR) POE

Well it's time to start the next chapter in our lives. On Tuesday (March 2nd) Jingjing and I will be saying our goodbyes, boarding a plane, and heading to the US. We'll be flying into Newark and I have a simple question.

When going through POE, should I go through the foreign national line with my wife? Or, should we go through the POE separately?

The last time we went through EWR, I think we were processed together, but I'm not completely certain.

I have read differing accounts so I was simply wondering if anyone has recently traveled through EWR and could share their experiences.

I suspect my wife will need to take some time to finish her initial processing. We're not worried about making a connecting flight; we have a layover until the next morning.

Thanks for any feedback. We'll probably post some details in this thread after reaching Stateside.

Our experience at EWR was that we could see each other being processed by different IO's - hers noticed that our flight was scheduled in 30 mins, so he told me to go get the luggage and he would take her into the Immigrations area where he could process her AP form. I assumed this meant all was okay and I would see her at the customs checkpoint. Once he did that, he quickly realized that she couldn't speak English, and he had no idea who she was (my wife). He came and got me, whereupon I gave him the marriage license, told him she was K-1, etc. No more problems.

basically, it was fairly informal and quick. It will rarely make a difference which line you get in - choose one that's short and seems applicable to your situation. They will often motion you over to other officer's who are not busy.

The ones who look at the passports pass you along to other officers if you need any additional processing, like for K-1 or AP.

Stick to your wife and go through the (Visitors / Immigrants) line, on future entries to the USA using a green-card she can accompany you through the (Citizens / Residents).

Thanks for that great information. Because I was going to ask the same questions.

Michael

My wife and I went through the same line at Newark (I'm guessing I just told her to come in the National line with me), and I was able to go with her to the immigrant processing. I do remember I was trying to make a phone call telling my mom I had landed and was told I couldn't use cell phones in immigrant processing. I also came in on a flight (Hong Kong to Newark) with several adoptions, and it was my belief that they got processed before us. It was rather painless, where we did run into slow down was in customs. We had 4 rather heavy suitcases (if I remember each one weighing around 50 lbs). Customs was not busy at all when we went through, and they wanted to go through each bag thorougly. This left a bad impression on my wife (I remember her commenting that they were going through her underwear!).

Stick to your wife and go through the (Visitors / Immigrants) line, on future entries to the USA using a green-card she can accompany you through the (Citizens / Residents).

The officers who look at and stamp the passports will see that she is an immigrant and pass her along to the Immigrations Officers who handle the immigrations processing. This processing is done in a different area.

Thanks gents, for your replies. We'll heed your advice.

24 hours and counting. I haven't left yet and I'm already missing things (mostly her family). Hopefully after we get on the plane in SH, things will start (even if slowly) to get better. For us both, it is kind of like an impending ax over our heads (anticipation of leaving). Oh well, this is all part of it. I remember feeling this when I first left America. It is worth it but it does suck. See you guys on the flip side.

Thanks gents, for your replies. We'll heed your advice.

24 hours and counting. I haven't left yet and I'm already missing things (mostly her family). Hopefully after we get on the plane in SH, things will start (even if slowly) to get better. For us both, it is kind of like an impending ax over our heads (anticipation of leaving). Oh well, this is all part of it. I remember feeling this when I first left America. It is worth it but it does suck. See you guys on the flip side.

Li and wnet through the same line and it was quicker than i thought it would be. She was so nervous. No one looked through our luggaage.

Guest jin979

I came through LAX as POE not nice, Rob came through Newark says it was easy but that many years ago, as you are with her will be easy, stay with her whatever line you choose.

UPDATE:

I was able to get Jingjing in the door without putting her in my carry-on.

Here's how it went down.

At EWR, I accompanied her through the visitor's line. An officer saw us together, walked over to a vacant booth and waved us to his location (basically, we got to leap frog over several people). He was a really friendly guy who mentioned that our brown folder had a lot of stuff in it. He commended Jingjing on making me carry it for her. He had Jingjing give her finger prints through a digital scanner - and, took her picture.

After that he accompanied Jingjing and I to another room (down the elevator - yes, I got to go with her) where we sat for 3 minutes. After a brief sat, another officer called Jingjing over and made her giver her finger prints again and that was it. No further questions just a nice "Welcome to the United States" and we were off.

It took about five minutes to complete the initial arrival immigrant processing and get Jingjing's entry visa endorsed. Simple simple simple.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

UPDATE:

I was able to get Jingjing in the door without putting her in my carry-on.

Here's how it went down.

At EWR, I accompanied her through the visitor's line. An officer saw us together, walked over to a vacant booth and waved us to his location (basically, we got to leap frog over several people). He was a really friendly guy who mentioned that our brown folder had a lot of stuff in it. He commended Jingjing on making me carry it for her. He had Jingjing give her finger prints through a digital scanner - and, took her picture.

After that he accompanied Jingjing and I to another room (down the elevator - yes, I got to go with her) where we sat for 3 minutes. After a brief sat, another officer called Jingjing over and made her giver her finger prints again and that was it. No further questions just a nice "Welcome to the United States" and we were off.

It took about five minutes to complete the initial arrival immigrant processing and get Jingjing's entry visa endorsed. Simple simple simple.

Welcome Home. Glad it went smoothly. :lol: