Just Another Day In America

Hello all,

I wanted to post this for all of you who sometimes get discouraged through out this whole process, and at times wonder why you are going through all this trouble to bring your loved ones to America.

My wife cannot only speak Mandarin, but being from Mudanjiang, can also speak Korean (her family is of Korean descent---don't ask me to explain how this works, but when she speaks to her family, she usually speaks Korean, although they are considered to be Chinese---she tried to explain it to me once, but I got lost right away---maybe one of the Chinese members can explain this). Anyway, occasionally we visit this Korean Baptist Church which is about 5 minutes away from the house. It gives her the chance to speak and hear Korean, and she doesn't want her daughter to forget how to speak and understand it as well. And although I can speak halfway decent Mandarin, I cannot speak nor understand one iota of Korean. But as the saying goes, "when duty calls...(Wo shi hen ting hua de lao gong!) Anyway, most of the times we have gone, I am the only Caucasian person in the service, but today was different. Today there was a family of 6 Russian people as well. It is a long story as to why they were there, and I won't be able to delve into that, but as I was sitting there seeing that family, I thought, only in America could you find a American man, sitting next to his Korean-speaking Chinese wife and daughter with their Korean Baptist friends, listening to a Baptist preacher using a Korean Bible, and preaching in Korean to a Russian preacher and his family who recently immigrated from Moscow. I seriously doubt that you could find this scenario anywhere else in the world, and there are very few places that allow the freedom to do so. Yes, there will be arguments for the rest of our lives debating the immigration laws, the multi-cultural problems, the multi-language issues, and the eroding of our freedoms, but sometimes it makes you really proud to be an American when you take a step back and reflect on what it really means to the rest of the world to be an American. At times, I too, get really disgusted with this country and its inept government, but there are other times when I thank God that I was born an American! For those of you who are still waiting, hang in there, there is a light at the end of this tunnel, no matter how dark, bleak, and hopeless it may seem. I know it's been said time and time again in this forum, but don't ever give up! For those of you in America waiting for your loved ones, all of this will seem like a distant dream (nighmare?) once your family is whole again, and you will daily thank God for your fortune and blessings. For those of you on the other side of the Pacific (and Atlantic) still waiting to join us, don't give up, your time is coming, and the rest of us are waiting to welcome you with open arms! God bless you!

I thought, only in America could you find a American man, sitting next to his Korean-speaking Chinese wife and daughter with their Korean Baptist friends, listening to a Baptist preacher using a Korean Bible, and preaching in Korean to a Russian preacher and his family who recently immigrated from Moscow.  I seriously doubt that you could find this scenario anywhere else in the world, and there are very few places that allow the freedom to do so.  Yes, there will be arguments for the rest of our lives debating the immigration laws, the multi-cultural problems, the multi-language issues, and the eroding of our freedoms, but sometimes it makes you really proud to be an American when you take a step back and reflect on what it really means to the rest of the world to be an American.  

Amen to that! Despite the problems we have in this country, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Well, except maybe out of California. :blink: Place seems to be falling apart...

Jerry

I lived in Miami for fifteen years and the blending of the cultures down there was an amazing thing to be a part of. Our church was a blend of folks from every corner of the globe. Sometimes I went to the Chinese church there as well, primarily because I knew I was moving to China. You had the same sort of cultural mix, folks from Mainland China, Taiwan, HK, Macau, and other Asian countries. America is truly great due to its diversity.

Hello all,

I wanted to post this for all of you who sometimes get discouraged through out this whole process, and at times wonder why you are going through all this trouble to bring your loved ones to America.

My wife cannot only speak Mandarin, but being from Mudanjiang, can also speak Korean (her family is of Korean descent---don't ask me to explain how this works, but when she speaks to her family, she usually speaks Korean, although they are considered to be Chinese---she tried to explain it to me once, but I got lost right away---maybe one of the Chinese members can explain this).  Anyway, occasionally we visit this Korean Baptist Church which is about 5 minutes away from the house.  It gives her the chance to speak and hear Korean, and she doesn't want her daughter to forget how to speak and understand it as well.  And although I can speak halfway decent Mandarin, I cannot speak nor understand one iota of Korean.  But as the saying goes, "when duty calls...(Wo shi hen ting hua de lao gong!)  Anyway, most of the times we have gone, I am the only Caucasian person in the service, but today was different.  Today there was a family of 6 Russian people as well.  It is a long story as to why they were there, and I won't be able to delve into that, but as I was sitting there seeing that family, I thought, only in America could you find a American man, sitting next to his Korean-speaking Chinese wife and daughter with their Korean Baptist friends, listening to a Baptist preacher using a Korean Bible, and preaching in Korean to a Russian preacher and his family who recently immigrated from Moscow.  I seriously doubt that you could find this scenario anywhere else in the world, and there are very few places that allow the freedom to do so.  Yes, there will be arguments for the rest of our lives debating the immigration laws, the multi-cultural problems, the multi-language issues, and the eroding of our freedoms, but sometimes it makes you really proud to be an American when you take a step back and reflect on what it really means to the rest of the world to be an American.  At times, I too, get really disgusted with this country and its inept government, but there are other times when I thank God that I was born an American!  For those of you who are still waiting, hang in there, there is a light at the end of this tunnel, no matter how dark, bleak, and hopeless it may seem.  I know it's been said time and time again in this forum, but don't ever give up!  For those of you in America waiting for your loved ones, all of this will seem like a distant dream (nighmare?) once your family is whole again, and you will daily thank God for your fortune and blessings.  For those of you on the other side of the Pacific (and Atlantic) still waiting to join us, don't give up, your time is coming, and the rest of us are waiting to welcome you with open arms!  God bless you!

Well said!!

Mike