LAX is laid out beautifully for cars delivering and picking up departing and arriving passengers. But, for the traveler it can really suck.

You'll notice from the MAP that domestic flight terminals are not connected with Tom Bradley International, unlike other, more modern airports that are under one roof and have golf carts or people movers) that will wiz you from one terminal to another.

The problem at LAX is that after arriving at either a domestic terminal or TBI you must walk outside on the sidewalk dragging all of your luggage (you're not allowed to take a cart) for city blocks exposed to the weather. Not to mention that you arrive on the lower level and depart on the upper level. If you're carrying a lot of luggage you can't use the escalators and the few elevators are slow and crowded. I've done all this is the rain. And, I've done it walking (guessing) in the wrong direction too many times. And, I live in LA. :sosad:

Be sure to have your route mapped out for where you are going (where your connecting terminal is) after you land. And, hope like hell that you gave yourself enough time to make your connection.

She lands at 5:50pm and our connecting flight is at 10:55pm. I hope that is enough.

I am not even sure how to begine to tell her what to do as I have never been there. I can look at maps all day long but without seeing the real thing....it is hard.

Robert

There is a free shuttle service at LAX:

To use LAX's frequent, free shuttle bus service between terminals to assist you in making a connection, board the Airline Connections "A" Shuttle (which operates on 12- to 15-minute intervals) under the LAX Shuttle & Airline Connections blue sign on the Lower/Arrival Level islands in front of each terminal. During peak travel periods, such as holidays, please allow extra time for travel between terminals in case some shuttle buses are full. ...because, they can become very crowded and by the time you get on one you could have walked there.

http://www.iflylax.com/lax_information_faqs.php#q15

Five hours gives you more than enough time. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything Dennis said and I live in LA too. It can be really confusing for travellers. I think the easiest way is to meet her when she comes into the terminal after immigration, baggage and customs. All three of these are in one large area, first she will go through immigration, then nearby will collect her luggage from one of the carousels and lastly she will go through customs before entering into the main terminal area where arriving passengers can be met. From there you can go together to the domestic flights terminal by airport shuttle. One important thing to remember is that all arriving flights are on the lower level of the terminal and all departing flights are on the upper level of the terminal. Using the airport shuttle will save you a lot of hassle, just tell the driver which airline you are on and he will drop you off right in front of the terminal at that airline.

Good luck and safe trip for you both.

I agree with everything Dennis said and I live in LA too. It can be really confusing for travellers. I think the easiest way is to meet her when she comes into the terminal after immigration, baggage and customs. All three of these are in one large area, first she will go through immigration, then nearby will collect her luggage from one of the carousels and lastly she will go through customs before entering into the main terminal area where arriving passengers can be met. From there you can go together to the domestic flights terminal by airport shuttle. One important thing to remember is that all arriving flights are on the lower level of the terminal and all departing flights are on the upper level of the terminal. Using the airport shuttle will save you a lot of hassle, just tell the driver which airline you are on and he will drop you off right in front of the terminal at that airline.

So if I read this correctly. After she goes thru customs i can meet her in the International terminal and then we can go together to gate 5 for our Delta flight? I used to hate Atlanta's airport........I am starting to like it a lot more these days :P

I've come through LAX three times in the last year from international flights and this corresponds with my experiences there. Meet her as she leaves after customs and the two of you can go to your next flight.

I guess it's too late to counsel this, but I also agree with a previous poster who suggested you spend the night at one of the hotels near LAX (about $75) and go home the next day. Leaving LAX at 11pm? And you're flying to Georgia? I guess you'll be on the airplane all night... tough way to be introduced to the US.

The last time I came back from China, I got into LAX about 6pm and (thankfully) it was too late to catch a plane to Austin. I spent the night nearby (free shuttle to and from) and flew home the next morning; much more sane experience IMO, and I think it helped lessen my jet lag, as well.

I've come through LAX three times in the last year from international flights and this corresponds with my experiences there. Meet her as she leaves after customs and the two of you can go to your next flight.

I guess it's too late to counsel this, but I also agree with a previous poster who suggested you spend the night at one of the hotels near LAX (about $75) and go home the next day. Leaving LAX at 11pm? And you're flying to Georgia? I guess you'll be on the airplane all night... tough way to be introduced to the US.

The last time I came back from China, I got into LAX about 6pm and (thankfully) it was too late to catch a plane to Austin. I spent the night nearby (free shuttle to and from) and flew home the next morning; much more sane experience IMO, and I think it helped lessen my jet lag, as well.

Yea......well......looking back that would have been a really good idea. Too late now though ;) . We were not really thinking about all that....just her getting here. Not only will she be on a flight all day and night...so will I........sort of. I will leave my house at 8am March 7th to get to Airport for my flight. I land in LA at about 1:30 and her flight does not get there until 5:50 and then she has to go thru Immigration and customs. Then we get on a flight that lands in Atlanta at 6am and then...........................we have a 2 hour drive home that will be worse due to Monday Morning traffic that is worse than LA. Yes Atlanta traffic is that bad :blink:

Kind of poor planning....we will do better next time. Atleast we will be able to sleep most of the day on Monday :D I did tell her that we need to wake up about 2 and then go back to bed at dark. Better to try to sleep when dark outside and stay awake in sunlight. :blink:

Yea......well......looking back that would have been a really good idea. Too late now though :D . We were not really thinking about all that....just her getting here. Not only will she be on a flight all day and night...so will I........sort of. I will leave my house at 8am March 7th to get to Airport for my flight. I land in LA at about 1:30 and her flight does not get there until 5:50 and then she has to go thru Immigration and customs. Then we get on a flight that lands in Atlanta at 6am and then...........................we have a 2 hour drive home that will be worse due to Monday Morning traffic that is worse than LA. Yes Atlanta traffic is that bad :blink:

Kind of poor planning....we will do better next time. Atleast we will be able to sleep most of the day on Monday :D I did tell her that we need to wake up about 2 and then go back to bed at dark. Better to try to sleep when dark outside and stay awake in sunlight. :blink:

So when will you have time for sleep? :lol:

:D

Yea......well......looking back that would have been a really good idea. Too late now though :blink: . We were not really thinking about all that....just her getting here. Not only will she be on a flight all day and night...so will I........sort of. I will leave my house at 8am March 7th to get to Airport for my flight. I land in LA at about 1:30 and her flight does not get there until 5:50 and then she has to go thru Immigration and customs. Then we get on a flight that lands in Atlanta at 6am and then...........................we have a 2 hour drive home that will be worse due to Monday Morning traffic that is worse than LA. Yes Atlanta traffic is that bad :blink:

Kind of poor planning....we will do better next time. Atleast we will be able to sleep most of the day on Monday :D I did tell her that we need to wake up about 2 and then go back to bed at dark. Better to try to sleep when dark outside and stay awake in sunlight. :lol:

So when will you have time for sleep? :D

Yea......well......looking back that would have been a really good idea. Too late now though :D . We were not really thinking about all that....just her getting here. Not only will she be on a flight all day and night...so will I........sort of. I will leave my house at 8am March 7th to get to Airport for my flight. I land in LA at about 1:30 and her flight does not get there until 5:50 and then she has to go thru Immigration and customs. Then we get on a flight that lands in Atlanta at 6am and then...........................we have a 2 hour drive home that will be worse due to Monday Morning traffic that is worse than LA. Yes Atlanta traffic is that bad :blink:

Time for sleep? He is not going to have energy for much else either. :D

Well sheet, Robert is a Jawja boy! He can find the energy. :P

Kind of poor planning....we will do better next time. Atleast we will be able to sleep most of the day on Monday :D I did tell her that we need to wake up about 2 and then go back to bed at dark. Better to try to sleep when dark outside and stay awake in sunlight. :lol:

So when will you have time for sleep? :D

Time for sleep? He is not going to have energy for much else either. :P

:blink:

Yea......well......looking back that would have been a really good idea. Too late now though :blink: . We were not really thinking about all that....just her getting here. Not only will she be on a flight all day and night...so will I........sort of. I will leave my house at 8am March 7th to get to Airport for my flight. I land in LA at about 1:30 and her flight does not get there until 5:50 and then she has to go thru Immigration and customs. Then we get on a flight that lands in Atlanta at 6am and then...........................we have a 2 hour drive home that will be worse due to Monday Morning traffic that is worse than LA. Yes Atlanta traffic is that bad :blink:

Time for sleep? He is not going to have energy for much else either. :P

We should get together after she settles in a little. Maybe your wife could give her some ideas of what life is like here :blink: