Evolution of Relationship

I am sure that this is probably an annoying question, but after an extensive search I really am wondering from those who have gone through GUZ what really needs to be in this "Evolution of Relationship" letter? Formatting? notarized or not? Final date of entry of this letter, what i mean is how far should this letter cover up to? any guidance would be greatly appreciated as i would like to start to write this letter and I think a notarized letter will be a good thing too.

Thank you

Dan

I have read these posts and i am still someone wondering about the actual "content" of such a letter. I've read the one posted for a I-129F, but we have filed a I-130 / CR1. Content will be different. Should it be done in chronological order? Is it necessary to put information about ex-wife in this letter? If so how much? as it has been posted here many times, giving too much information can also be dangerous as it can the Consular officer more subjects for questions. I apologize for my innate inability to read between the lines on these posts, but i guess can't get it through my thick skull about what exactly to write.

D

I have read these posts and i am still someone wondering about the actual "content" of such a letter. I've read the one posted for a I-129F, but we have filed a I-130 / CR1. Content will be different. Should it be done in chronological order? Is it necessary to put information about ex-wife in this letter? If so how much? as it has been posted here many times, giving too much information can also be dangerous as it can the Consular officer more subjects for questions. I apologize for my innate inability to read between the lines on these posts, but i guess can't get it through my thick skull about what exactly to write.

D

If you're divorced ... when did you divorce? were there any kids? who are they with? when did you start looking for a new wife? how did you come across this lady? how often do you communicate with each other? when did you physically meet? what about her family? did you meet them too? did you do anything together? (attach photos) when did you 2 decide this is "it"? etc ...

You get the drift?

IMHO this is one of the most important documents you will submit. It should be a story of your lives coming together, the love that developed and the longing to be together forever. It ain't a novel. A couple of pages or 4 should do it. I personally didn't attach photos but what can it hurt?

Good Luck!

D

If you're divorced ... when did you divorce? were there any kids? who are they with? when did you start looking for a new wife? how did you come across this lady? how often do you communicate with each other? when did you physically meet? what about her family? did you meet them too? did you do anything together? (attach photos) when did you 2 decide this is "it"? etc ...

You get the drift?

IMHO this is one of the most important documents you will submit. It should be a story of your lives coming together, the love that developed and the longing to be together forever. It ain't a novel. A couple of pages or 4 should do it. I personally didn't attach photos but what can it hurt?

Good Luck!

I appreciate the help and if i understand this EOR Letter, the wife will give this letter at the time of the interview, correct ? We'll obviously since i have already sent in our I-130 to USCIS....

This process sure can get confusing... except for the I-864, this i understand, pictures,etc for interview i understand.. but this letter for some reason has just eluded my common sense factors.

I appreciate the help and if i understand this EOR Letter, the wife will give this letter at the time of the interview, correct ? We'll obviously since i have already sent in our I-130 to USCIS....

This process sure can get confusing... except for the I-864, this i understand, pictures,etc for interview i understand.. but this letter for some reason has just eluded my common sense factors.

If you can be in China for her interview, go to ACH, before the interview, and talk to the visas officer. It would be a miriacle if he took the letter from you, but you could try handing it to him and hope that he would scan over it and possibly comment in his computer that your wife has one.

They may or may not accept it at your wifes interview, at least you would have tried to get them to accept it.

Sometimes the VO will take an EOR letter at the interview, in our case, the VO pushed my EOR letter and my passport with it's 4 visa stamps in 10 months, right back out the window....unlooked at.

That doesn't mean it's worthless for your wife to try and have them read your EOR...try everything.

Good luck

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

you already filed the petition; so it's a little too late to talk about the evolution of relationship letter.

What evolves from now to the interview is not known, so it cannot be written yet, but they are usually more interested in how you meet and timeline of meeting, how you paid for travel, communication, etc.

Even if you want to bring one to the interview, they usually refuse to look at them and issue a blue for what exactly they want. Personally, I would not spend time on this topic now. Nothing you can do.

Another member who got blue was asked the following, which is quite a lengthy request but reveals most of the issues they are interested in.

* Provide as much evidence of correspondence that you can that demonstrates the development of your relationship, from initial stages until the current date. Examples include letters, remittance slips, e-mails, and chat sessions.

* A detailed statement, written by the petitioner, describing the evolution of your relationship. Be sure to, at the very least, explain how you met, when you started dating, and how, when and why you became engaged.

* A statement, written by the petitioner, listing every trip s/he has taken to China to visit you and explain how you spent your time together. Include dates and locations. Explain who arranged his/her trip China, purchased his/her tickets and who accompanied him/her.

* Submit the plane tickets your petitioner used to visit you. As applicable, submit travel agency documents. Who paid for the plane tickets? Show evidence of this, such as a credit card statement or bank statements with the relevant withdrawals highlighted.

* Photots of your wedding ceremony or celebration. If you did not celebrate, or you celebrated but didn't take photos, submit a credible explanation.

I agree with David on this one. We failed to submit one when we turned in our I-130. We did prepare one and take it with us to GUZ, but that is really all you can do. Aside from your wife trying to get the VO to look at it, you have two options:

1. Get it notarized at ACS and maybe they'll review it and/or ask questions. We did this - and found that it did not produce any fruitful results.

2. Before your wife's actual interview there will be a consulate worker who handles some of the prelim. paperwork. Try to see if that worker will accept it. When my wife interviewed this past November, she was able to get three documents submitted this way. I believe this is your best bet.

I don't think having it notarized is very important (unless you're wanting to try option 2 in hopes of getting them to ask questions). If you're in China during her interview giving her your passport will likely have just as much pull as a notarized letter. The VO told me it wasn't necessary but, if it would hlep you sleep better at night - go for it.

If you are planning on getting something notarized, I'd consider doing it Stateside where you can likely get it done at no charge at your bank rather than spend 30 USD in GUZ.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

2. Before your wife's actual interview there will be a consulate worker who handles some of the prelim. paperwork. Try to see if that worker will accept it. When my wife interviewed this past November, she was able to get three documents submitted this way. I believe this is your best bet.

I agree this is the best way to submit something. What is unclear from a historical point of view is whether it's helpful or not.

The main drawbacks from doing this, purely based on a feeling, the package has been reviewed and anything new does not have adequate time to evaluate against the package. If anything gives them the slightest pause, they will just issue a blue to ask for more info or explanation.

So, it goes back to our normal advise: It's a case by case issue... if it's really needed, then consider it.

I agree this is the best way to submit something. What is unclear from a historical point of view is whether it's helpful or not.

The main drawbacks from doing this, purely based on a feeling, the package has been reviewed and anything new does not have adequate time to evaluate against the package. If anything gives them the slightest pause, they will just issue a blue to ask for more info or explanation.

So, it goes back to our normal advise: It's a case by case issue... if it's really needed, then consider it.

As part of the 4" and 8 lbs of paper I sent a did send in a two page notarized letter describing our "Evolution of Relationship" up to the point of our marriage. This included information i knew about my ex-wife, including her SSN#, last know address, full name and when we filed for divorce. Additionally in my I-130 packet i sent in over 60 photos, copies of all receipts, all boarding passes, copies of emails, chats sessions, phone bills, plus evidence of bona fide relationship including her name on the deed to the home, utility bills, life insurance beneficiary, tax changes.. and more i forget about. I truly "front loaded" this petition and would have sent more, but i figure if i sent in anymore they might get upset. I actually scaled it back from 14 lbs of paper.. With all that said, i hope the format of my EOR was correct and it was indeed notarized..

Dan

As part of the 4" and 8 lbs of paper I sent a did send in a two page notarized letter describing our "Evolution of Relationship" up to the point of our marriage. This included information i knew about my ex-wife, including her SSN#, last know address, full name and when we filed for divorce. Additionally in my I-130 packet i sent in over 60 photos, copies of all receipts, all boarding passes, copies of emails, chats sessions, phone bills, plus evidence of bona fide relationship including her name on the deed to the home, utility bills, life insurance beneficiary, tax changes.. and more i forget about. I truly "front loaded" this petition and would have sent more, but i figure if i sent in anymore they might get upset. I actually scaled it back from 14 lbs of paper.. With all that said, i hope the format of my EOR was correct and it was indeed notarized..

Dan

You will be fine, you did your homework BEFORE filing. EOR has no set format, it is simply a letter detailing how your past relationship ended, how you met your spouse and time leading up to filing.

Dan

You will be fine, you did your homework BEFORE filing. EOR has no set format, it is simply a letter detailing how your past relationship ended, how you met your spouse and time leading up to filing.

I'd be willing to post the contents of my EOR (minus some specific information) for the benefit of others. I realize it might open up a can of worms, but unless you ask the question how do you know what the answer is?

Dan

Just a short note:

Virtually ALL marriage based visas get denied for failing to prove a bona fide relationship. Those who do the things suggested to avoid this pitfall, virtually never see this category.

Generally true... but what we might think is the definition of a bona fide relationship and what GUZ does differs.

Most people have no issue with the fast track meeting-to-filing and relationships with little communication since that will get better over time; but trying to convince GUZ of that is sometimes not so easy. They start questioning it on a level most never think of (immigration benefit seeking, etc).

IMO, the best factor of success seems to be "time" since it's hard to question that... although they do sometimes.

Just a short note:

Virtually ALL marriage based visas get denied for failing to prove a bona fide relationship. Those who do the things suggested to avoid this pitfall, virtually never see this category.

Generally true... but what we might think is the definition of a bona fide relationship and what GUZ does differs.

Most people have no issue with the fast track meeting-to-filing and relationships with little communication since that will get better over time; but trying to convince GUZ of that is sometimes not so easy. They start questioning it on a level most never think of (immigration benefit seeking, etc).

IMO, the best factor of success seems to be "time" since it's hard to question that... although they do sometimes.

Differs in what manner though?

The burden lay at the petitioner's feet. There is no magic to this. No tea leaf reading. It's my firm belief that those who present a clear case of documented evidence, well-written, free of spelling and grammar errors, that is balanced to compensate for the areas where there may be deficiency.............are...

...usually always successful.

We don't have the luxury on this site of comparing the paperwork of those who succeed versus those who do not. If that were to happen, I'm convinced you'd see my point.