Problem getting a Marriage License

I went to the Bedford,NY city hall today to get a marriage liscence.

The town clerk told me that the white book (birth certificate and divorce decree) she has from China is upacceptable. It has to be translated by a certified translator or by the Chinese Consulate :cheering:

I told her the Fedral government gave her a visa using these documents so how come you can not give us a liscence.

"Those are my instructions" she said :D

I will try Mt.Kisco city hall next week. I went there too but they can not even tell me when thay can give me an appointment till Tuesday next week. :lol:

I told Fen "Welcome to America" ;)

Bummer!

I had no problem at my Town Hall in upstate.

That is a notarized translation attached to those documents.

They are certified by the translator, person does not know what they are talking about.

They could get married anywhere, Las Vegas, or whatever.

Sam, you could call the city attorney and tell him about this if you wanted to.

That white booklet with its official translations are required to be accepted by any governmental entity, under the same mutual agreement the US has with other countries to accept each other's paperwork.

Just do the easiest thing. Hopefully the other nearby town will not be under the same delusion.

Wow! You fight like crazy to get her over here - and wham! My guess is that this lady simply hasn't handled too many of these situations before. I'd speak with a supervisor or try somewhere else. I hate it that you have to go somewhere else because the one holding the keys is ignorant to your situation.

All I can say is wow .... if she actually took the time to read the White Books she would see that it is EXACTLY what she said you needed according to their own webpage.

Note: If any of the documents listed are not written in English, the document must be translated and certified by the translator. A number of translation services are listed in the yellow pages.

She is probably having a problem because the certified translator is a Chinese government offical and not from the "yellow pages".

You should go back and just ask for a supervisor and show them that the White Booklet you are providing more than meets the intent of their instructions -- see this link:

http://shenyang.usembassy-china.org.cn/civ...ords_china.html

http://www.bedfordny.info/html/d_town_clerk.html

Edited by a2784 (see edit history)

Just bring a stick and a puppy.

Tell her you're holding the puppy hostage till you get your paper. :angry: :lol: :)

:) :) :o Better yet a club and a baby seal! Sam is up north you know, he may be able to find a Seal! Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I moved to Danbury, CT but CT requires a blood test.

I thought I will go to city hall and figure out what needs to be done as a backup plan.

They are closed becoz of the snow that is on its way :lol:

oh well so am I. rare day off.

All I need now is a good Chinese massage with a happy ending. :lol:

Enjoy your day off Sam, and your happy ending. You will feel less stressed afterward.

I read your first post again, and I thought what was that clerk thinking? One on the things she said you could do was have a translation by the Chinese Consulate. Well that is the Chinese government. I guess she trusts them. Well, What does she think that the Notary Office is? It is the Chinese government! Tell her that, and print out the page from the Consulate website that a2784 posted.