Wife is Expecting

you can certainly try some things but just don't expect any handouts. I personally would be surprised if USCIS did anything; but GUZ has shown more than once in the past they *might* expedite although their party line is NO.

The main issue will probably be if she delivers in china, she will need at least a month to recover; if born in the US, she could be shocked by the lack of help she has. But it varies quite a bit.

Good point David. Also it is typical for the husband's mother to take care of the daughter-in-law during the marriage and after. The birth of a child here is taken more seriously especially for the mother's health than in the USA (at least in my view). No one here expects the mother will be up and back to work after a few weeks.

All good points, sure a lot to think about. Now, we can only concentrate on getting everything done for her visa here. But in retrospect, I-130 sent so we are now in wait mode. But I will try for an expedite, cannot hurt and you never know. As far as support goes, it is my first baby, so I will do all I can. But I guess we will need to talk more about her mom traveling..

Dan

Unless your work will give you a few months off to take care of her and the baby 24x7, it's not the support she is culturally expecting if in china; that is Allan's point that they take the birth more seriously; the wife is not supposed to lift a proverbial finger. But ultimately she has to say what her expectations are.... just don't be surprised if a request for black chicken instead of ice cream and pickles comes forth :blink:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can certainly try some things but just don't expect any handouts. I personally would be surprised if USCIS did anything; but GUZ has shown more than once in the past they *might* expedite although their party line is NO.

The main issue will probably be if she delivers in china, she will need at least a month to recover; if born in the US, she could be shocked by the lack of help she has. But it varies quite a bit.

Good point David. Also it is typical for the husband's mother to take care of the daughter-in-law during the marriage and after. The birth of a child here is taken more seriously especially for the mother's health than in the USA (at least in my view). No one here expects the mother will be up and back to work after a few weeks.

All good points, sure a lot to think about. Now, we can only concentrate on getting everything done for her visa here. But in retrospect, I-130 sent so we are now in wait mode. But I will try for an expedite, cannot hurt and you never know. As far as support goes, it is my first baby, so I will do all I can. But I guess we will need to talk more about her mom traveling..

Dan

Unless your work will give you a few months off to take care of her and the baby 24x7, it's not the support she is culturally expecting if in china; that is Allan's point that they take the birth more seriously; the wife is not supposed to lift a proverbial finger. But ultimately she has to say what her expectations are.... just don't be surprised if a request for black chicken instead of ice cream and pickles comes forth :blink:

"Black Chicken"? sound just wonderful ... Just asked the wife, and she has told me her mom is to visit next year. But time will tell.

As for "dual citizenship up to age 18," after reading a couple other recent threads on this topic, I don't believe the "dual citizenship" has much value -- as soon as the baby leaves for the first time on his/her American passport, he or she will then be American and not Chinese. At least this is how I've understood the explanations posted by others...

I'm not an expert. Will someone please clarify this?

Dan

"Black Chicken"? sound just wonderful ... Just asked the wife, and she has told me her mom is to visit next year. But time will tell.

Well not that you mention it ... "Black Chicken Soup" is quite tasty. I also hear it is good for the mother to be.

All Silkies have black skin, bones and grayish-black meat; their Chinese language name is wu gu ji (žõ¹Çú_[13], literally "crow boned chicken"), meaning "black-boned chicken".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie

As for "dual citizenship up to age 18," after reading a couple other recent threads on this topic, I don't believe the "dual citizenship" has much value -- as soon as the baby leaves for the first time on his/her American passport, he or she will then be American and not Chinese. At least this is how I've understood the explanations posted by others...

The bottom line on that discussion was that it IS possible to legitimately acquire two passports through citizenship by birth (one American, one Chinese parent), but that China does not recognize dual citizenship at any age. Once the child uses his/her American passport in China, then the Chinese citizenship would be revoked (legally, if not in actuality). It looks to me, though, that a child born in the US could keep both citizenships by never using the Chinese passport, but that this would be of little to no benefit.

If the child is born in China, he/she would need an exit visa in the American passport - thereby alerting the Chinese authorities that he has one.

The bottom line on that discussion was that it IS possible to legitimately acquire two passports through citizenship by birth (one American, one Chinese parent), but that China does not recognize dual citizenship at any age. Once the child uses his/her American passport in China, then the Chinese citizenship would be revoked (legally, if not in actuality). It looks to me, though, that a child born in the US could keep both citizenships by never using the Chinese passport, but that this would be of little to no benefit.

If the child is born in China, he/she would need an exit visa in the American passport - thereby alerting the Chinese authorities that he has one.

Today it may be of no benefit to having the Chinese benefit. Tomorrow maybe quite a different story for a baby born today. If we have a baby my wife would either: (1) Have it in HK because a HK passport allows much greater freedom for the Chinese native or (2) Have it in the USA in order to get both passports just like you said and save the Chinese one for the future.

Today it may be of no benefit to having the Chinese benefit. Tomorrow maybe quite a different story for a baby born today. If we have a baby my wife would either: (1) Have it in HK because a HK passport allows much greater freedom for the Chinese native or (2) Have it in the USA in order to get both passports just like you said and save the Chinese one for the future.

They may (any day) get their Chinese citizenship restored, whether they have had an American or Chinese passport or not, but, yes, registering the birth in China (such as by getting a Chinese passport) would expedite that. It can't hurt.

how much time will you stop working to look after wife and baby ? 1 month is minimim aspected ..If you dont she may get serious illness later in life

And thus ladies and gentlemen of the court, I rest my case regarding the significant difference between the USA and Chinese view of a baby's birth.

Thanks Jin! :angry:

Yes, this is pretty much how it was explained to us by the PSB in Beijing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the future. If China were to change the rules to recognize dual citizenship then the child could get his Chinese citizenship at that time. China's citizenship laws have always been jus sanguinis -- that is, right of blood -- rather than jus soli -- right of soil. Any child born to a Chinese parent, no matter where, is eligible for Chinese citizenship, but children born in China to non Chinese parents are not. So it will always be possible for a child to get Chinese citizenship at a later date, no matter where he/she is born, if Chinese citizenship is his choice.

OP, read up on the concept of "zuo yuezi," which is taken pretty seriously in Chinese culture. Most Chinese women seriously believe with every fiber of their being that if certain customs regarding childbirth are not followed that there could be dire consequences later in life. Your wife should understand that it will be hard to zuo yuezi in America without the sort of support network -- personal and cultural --she would have in China. There are loads of cultural differences surrounding pregnancy and birth too and she might find it a difficult time to arrive in a new country. I had both of my kids in China and it involved a lot of adjustment and compromise on my part.

Anyhow, just food for thought! Congrats and happy healthy nine months to your wife. :sosad:

how much time will you stop working to look after wife and baby ? 1 month is minimim aspected ..If you dont she may get serious illness later in life

And thus ladies and gentlemen of the court, I rest my case regarding the significant difference between the USA and Chinese view of a baby's birth.

Thanks Jin! :clapping:

Ditto!!

My Yu was telling me about a Chinese mother's month of confinement a while ago. She was amazed by my sister and sister-in-law having babies and being out of the hospital withing a couple of days and being up and doing things the day or so after that.

Last month a girl that we see often in a local diner gave birth to twins and brought them to the diner perhaps two days after for friends to see.

I guess western women are tougher in this aspect of life, they can give birth and be back to work at home the next day.

If I were in this situation I would consider immigrating to the USA after having the child, unless you have aspirations of the Child one day becoming the President of the USA.

I'd say you should bring this up with your wife and let her decide how important it is for her to 'zuo yuezi.' Let her know that it won't be possible for her to be cared for 24/7 (assuming it won't be) and whether or not she'll be able to stay inside for that entire period. My wife didn't find it important. She originally planned to have the baby and return to school after a week to take her finals for her ESL classes.

All you can do is make sure she understands the important parts of what it'll be like to have a baby in the US and then talk about what she wants to do...