Pocket Translators

I've used WorldLingo - bought it used for about $50. The dictionary is limited (about 50,000 words), but it has a nice voice feature so you can sorta hear the Mandarin pronunciation. Also, it displays the translation both in pinyan and hanzi. I found this feature quite useful when I was shopping and got that blank stare when I tried to pronounce the word.

Overall, I think it was a good investment. One of my buddies carries a pocket dictionary with him. Considerably more words in it, and the batteries last forever :o

I bought a GD986 voice (English, Mandarin, Cantonese) translator with 220 v transformer for my fiancee. I left it in China for my fiancee to use. After she came to the US I purchased an English/Chinese-Chinese/English dictionary. In the US it was easier to find the English word and do the pronuciation myself for my wife.

I bought a franklin b-1100 it was about 90 dollars and has a voice function. It was a life saver in china. Bing and I laughingly refer to it as my friend. It served my needs well although I do wish it had more phrases. Plenty of bells and whistles though. I bought it at aim high.

http://translator.aimhi.com/electronic/cpChinese.html

I was looking at those GD 986's.  They look pretty sophisticated.  Are they as nice as they seem to be?  More importantly though, did it have too much?  $300 is a lot of dough to roll on something I don't need half of.

I saw a few cheaper ones on e-bay, but I'm short of time and it didn't look like I'd get it in time before I go to China.

I bough her a super one on China right at the electronic outlet stores there God knows ther are plenty there. Remind me of the indoor flea markets here. And then let her negotiate the price Oh boy I don't even want to go into that talk about dickering.. I think it is the way to go. the one I bought in China had everything including easy card plug ins for additional info.. And a screen writing pad.. Does everything but wash the dishes. about 8in by 4 inch .5in thick abot $280.00 US with extra memory card.

I bought one for myself here from some outfit in Vagas and it was good for awhile but the LED started to run after about 8 months they told me they would give me about half of what I paid for it. $279.00 But got smart and loaded/purchased Chinese Parner and translater for about $100.00 and loaded onto my lap top it also speakes your converted word doc into Chinese so solved the problem..

Mike

A few years ago I had a Chinese (or maybe Japanese) friend that had an electronic pocket dictionary. He was quite a whiz with it.

Before my first trip to Russia, I got a pocket Electronic Russian Dictionary. I was too cheap to purchase a pocket Translator. I used it a few times, but I was never really impressed with it. My paper Collins Pocket Dictionary worked best.

I ended up giving away the electronic dictionary during the first trip, and used a regular dictionary for the second trip. What I couldn't sound out, I could always show someone in the dictionary.

Of course, I am not quite sure how Chinese dictionaries are arranged. Perhaps the electronic dictionaries help with inputting a language that isn't very phonetic in the writing.

----- Clifford -----

Guest blsqueaky

My wife has a small translator that she purchased there for herself, and it is just great. I can type word in english, and it will sound out for her in Chinese, and also vice-versus. Can not remember what she paid for it right now. You might just be able to find one their cheaper. I know that I had a digi cam stolen from my luggage, and replaced it with a nice Samsun one, and cheaper then here in the states.

Hmmm.  That may be the way to go.  I placed a bid on one at e-bay, but had second thoughts about it after I was outbid.  I don't like the idea of buying something that I can't physically look at and try out.

I should be able to get a similar one in China for less and get to play with it.  I'll try that.

As I recall all the consumer electronics I saw in the stores in China cost more than they do here. May be cheaper to get one here.

Guest blsqueaky

One last final thought from me, along with her translator, I also have a small pocket dictionary that we bring with us, and bellive it or not, we use that more than the translator, find that it is faster for when I am trying to translate for her.

Just food for thought