Renewing Chinese passport

I don't think it matters if her passport expired. The name change is no big deal. For a $10 fee they will add an addendum to her passport that says something like "the name of the person on this passport is such and such."

The pain in the butt part is she must go to the consulate in person to renew it.

Seconding warpedbored on the hassle of going to the consulate in person.

But then there's the issue that you also have to pick it up in person after it is done (in other words, they will not send it to you by mail -- they have no such service).

Things get even worse b/c of how the Chinese govt decided to set up the districting. For example, I live in Idaho now, and our consulate is in Washington DC -- I still can't understand how that makes any sense, but I've learned not to ask.

So, if you don't have the consulate in town, you'll have to get yourself there, and either stay to pick it up, or get someone to do it for you.

I don't think it matters if her passport expired. The name change is no big deal. For a $10 fee they will add an addendum to her passport that says something like "the name of the person on this passport is such and such."

The pain in the butt part is she must go to the consulate in person to renew it.

Seconding warpedbored on the hassle of going to the consulate in person.

But then there's the issue that you also have to pick it up in person after it is done (in other words, they will not send it to you by mail -- they have no such service).

Things get even worse b/c of how the Chinese govt decided to set up the districting. For example, I live in Idaho now, and our consulate is in Washington DC -- I still can't understand how that makes any sense, but I've learned not to ask.

So, if you don't have the consulate in town, you'll have to get yourself there, and either stay to pick it up, or get someone to do it for you.

We went to San Francisco where they will give you an envelope to have it sent to you for $10.00 I have never heard of them making you come pick it up. I'm surprised Idaho is in DC's district. SF is much closer. I don't think they are all that strict on which consulate you go to. I would be surprised if they turned you down in SF.

Where in Idaho do you live now Jocelyn? I was born and raised there.

We're not far from D.C./chinese embassy.So,going in person is'nt too big of a deal (finding parking is more of a deal).Just am not quite clear if there's a "window of time" that one needs to renew (soon to expire) p.p. before the present p.p. expires-kind of like a U.S. p.p.,where (IIRC) it's advised to renew 90 days (?) before expiring.

Edited by Am4wag (see edit history)

We're not far from D.C./chinese embassy.So,going in person is'nt too big of a deal (finding parking is more of a deal).Just am not quite clear if there's a "window of time" that one needs to renew (soon to expire) p.p. before the present p.p. expires-kind of like a U.S. p.p.,where (IIRC) it's advised to renew 90 days (?) before expiring.

If she has a green card, no passport is required, except for foreign travel.

It is NEVER required that you renew it. It will be valid for ten years from whatever date you CHOOSE to renew it.

The same is true for US passports, by the way.

90 days before you need it would be a good guideline. It may be advisable to not wait for very long past the expiration date to renew it.

You're okay, believe me!

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)