Hi my wife speaks Cantonise and she is coming here in 23 days I have noticed that the Dish network and Direct TV both have Chinese channels I was wondering what one was better? The lady at our condo assocation says it is against our bylaws to have a satalite dish however when I went to the SEC website it said it was against the law for anybody to prevent you from having a satalite dish.

The 2 other options

online tv the only sight I have been able to find is www.iTV.com they have 80 Chinese channels however there is alot of advertising and the download is slow so it has to stop and load every so often. They also have there advertisements or logo on the screen at all times.

Netflicks is my other option. There website only lets you browse a few thing so I cannot tell if they have many streaming movies with Chinese language or subtitles.

If anybody has any info about this it would be helpful.

Thanks

Hi my wife speaks Cantonise and she is coming here in 23 days I have noticed that the Dish network and Direct TV both have Chinese channels I was wondering what one was better? The lady at our condo assocation says it is against our bylaws to have a satalite dish however when I went to the SEC website it said it was against the law for anybody to prevent you from having a satalite dish.

The 2 other options

online tv the only sight I have been able to find is www.iTV.com they have 80 Chinese channels however there is alot of advertising and the download is slow so it has to stop and load every so often. They also have there advertisements or logo on the screen at all times.

Netflicks is my other option. There website only lets you browse a few thing so I cannot tell if they have many streaming movies with Chinese language or subtitles.

Thanks

Netflix has an OK selection of Chinese films. Not sure about streaming. Get her to watch American films and TV shows with English subs though. that helps a lot IMO.

As far as the dish, maybe your HOA means they don't want you drilling the dish into the condo's railings or walls or something. To overcome this, I've seen people attach them to a pole that is then secured into a bucket of concrete and then placed on a porch.

The 2 other options

Thanks

How fast is your internet? If you have broadband, another option is KyLinTv. Has better programming than dish or directTv. Of the later I prefer dish.

The 2 other options

Thanks

My wife liked the Cantonese channels on Dish, especially ATV (Hong Kong).

I called the FTC after my apartment took down my satellite dish, and they actually came out and explained that law to the Apartment mngmt.

The 2 other options

Thanks

My wife liked the Cantonese channels on Dish, especially ATV (Hong Kong).

I called the FTC after my apartment took down my satellite dish, and they actually came out and explained that law to the Apartment mngmt.

If you want good cantonese TV, I will suggest TVB. It has the best dramas. Beyond the Realm of Conscience and Rosy Business are my favorite dramas of 2009.

Thanks for the advice I will defenatly check them out.

On a side not my wife is coming here on Feb 19th and our 1 year annaversary is Feb 28th.

She told me that the 1 year annaverasry is special and I must get her something special. I already proposed dinner and a movie but she told me she wanted something that would last forever or for more than just one evening.

I explained to her that American tradition that is the paper annaversary and it is the least expensive gift and told her that the 50 year present is the big one. She is worried the way I eat fried foods I wont be around when I am 94 so I think she wants to cash in now. She told me that Chinese tradition the first one is the big thing not the 50 year annaversary.

Does anybody have any good suggestions?? :eyebrow:

Been using PP-Live exclusively my wife likes it. Works great over my DSL connection, over my wireless network, on an Intel Atom based net-book.

PP-Live has programing in Mandarin, English and Cantonese, as well as other languages, for the most part subtitled in Chinese.