B2 people get in here

Turbo, In my opinion you are overlooking the most important factor.

Guanxi, I know you are trying to do everything yourself and the legal way but you are in China. Guanxi is EVERYTHING in China, as I am sure you already know, if there is enough guanxi everything is possible. Won't her boss help her? If you want the desired results and you want them right now.

I can tell you this my wife did not provide bank account information or any thing else. She talked to her boss and provided her personal information and he took care of the rest. All she had to do was pick up her passport and visa when it was ready. Then again he did have some very strong guanxi ties both in China and America. She got her passport and the visa in it in less than 2 weeks.

Talk to him about it.

Larry

Edit: I am not talking political stand here but the fact is that with the several heavy hitting political issues that have taken place in the recent past and not so distant past these issue might affect the amount of B2 visas that are being issued with guanxi and without guanxi. Just my two cents worth. As I have said before the B2 seemed to be a little easier to get lately but now I don't know.

She's in China but the embassy is American. I doubt 99% of "guanxi" relationships would do anything to help, aside from (1) having a good employer who assures you'll come back or (2) having Hu Jintao as your dad. Just my opinion.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guanxi, I know you are trying to do everything yourself and the legal way but you are in China. Guanxi is EVERYTHING in China, as I am sure you already know, if there is enough guanxi everything is possible. Won't her boss help her? If you want the desired results and you want them right now.

I can tell you this my wife did not provide bank account information or any thing else. She talked to her boss and provided her personal information and he took care of the rest. All she had to do was pick up her passport and visa when it was ready. Then again he did have some very strong guanxi ties both in China and America. She got her passport and the visa in it in less than 2 weeks.

Talk to him about it.

Larry

Edit: I am not talking political stand here but the fact is that with the several heavy hitting political issues that have taken place in the recent past and not so distant past these issue might affect the amount of B2 visas that are being issued with guanxi and without guanxi. Just my two cents worth. As I have said before the B2 seemed to be a little easier to get lately but now I don't know.

She's in China but the embassy is American. I doubt 99% of "guanxi" relationships would do anything to help, aside from (1) having a good employer who assures you'll come back or (2) having Hu Jintao as your dad. Just my opinion.

She got her B2 visa at the embassy in Beijing. You arn't saying that guanxi don't extent itself inside of the embassy are you? I think that would be somewhat of a mistake. There are many Chinese that work inside the embassy and the Americans that work there and that are assigned there do venture outside once in a while.

People that are in the position to help people are usually sought out to make friends with them just in case they are needed someday. Guanxi

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Let me add a little about Guanxi. On my last trip to Beijing I stopped by the American embassy and when I got past the Chinese guard and into the embassy there at the guards booth was an old friend of mine a Marine Corps Sargent that I had worked on his jet ski once and gave him a good deal because he was in the military. He immediately took me personally to see exactly who I wanted to see. After my business was finished he took me by the American Ambassadors office and introduced me to him. The Ambassador was very friendly and nice. The Ambassador told me that if there was anything that he could do for me while I was in Beijing to just let him know. I am sure that he was just being polite.

I also met the former American Ambassador to China in the hospital. I was there for kidney stones and he was having chest pains. We talked for about one hour and a half. Very nice guy too. He even invited me over to the embassy as well as his guest. His PR man that was with him arranged it but I did not go.

The guard gave me several things to take back to some of his friends at the base that he and I use to work at. His old boss and full bird Colonel only lives about 1/2 of a mile from me.

Friends knowing friends= guanxi

Larry

Well my girl is a teacher so her boss is just a teacher supervisor. I dont think she has any connections to use to help. I will ask her though. Her boss has been to the US on tourist or work visa before so maybe she can at least give advice. thanks for the tip though.

My fiancee' is a teacher teacher. Sometimes she goes to the CEIS conference in the U.S.. Here's a tip. Have her sign up for that, or another conference (since CEIS was just held), and then she has a legitimate work reason to come to the U.S. That will get her a 1 yr B visa which can then be used for future visits.

The key is to establish a business reason to come to the U.S.. If it's just visiting a friend it's not going to fly very well. Also get employer letter showing approval for the trip and expectation of return on X date.

Lee

Talk to him about it.

Larry

She got her B2 visa at the embassy in Beijing. You arn't saying that guanxi don't extent itself inside of the embassy are you? I think that would be somewhat of a mistake. There are many Chinese that work inside the embassy and the Americans that work there and that are assigned there do venture outside once in a while.

People that are in the position to help people are usually sought out to make friends with them just in case they are needed someday. Guanxi

Larry

This is getting a little far from the point of the thread, but anyhow... The OP can decide whether or not he knows anyone who knows someone who has authority over issuing American visas and will be willing to smooth the process in light of those relationships. I stand by my original speculation that 99% of people in this situation are not going to be able to muster any of their ¡°guanxi¡± to help.

As far as being certain that guanxi extends its influence into the consulate just because the American employees ¡°venture outside once in a while,¡± I don¡¯t think this recognizes the depth of the concept of guanxi and its differences from our western concept of, e.g., ¡°friends knowing friends.¡± The concept and importance of guanxi exists because Chinese are raised to stress their place within a social network, to understand and comply with social expectations, gain face, and obey authority. They grow these complicated relationships mostly for the sheer pleasure of it, and they obey the dictates of guanxi because that¡¯s what they were raised and taught to do. Just because the American embassy workers live in China, need favors, and ¡°venture outside once in a while¡± doesn't mean they will build and maintain this guanxi or that they'll respond like Chinese to a person marshalling their guanxi in hopes of ¡°greasing the machine¡±...

Talk to him about it.

Larry

Larry

This is getting a little far from the point of the thread, but anyhow... The OP can decide whether or not he knows anyone who knows someone who has authority over issuing American visas and will be willing to smooth the process in light of those relationships. I stand by my original speculation that 99% of people in this situation are not going to be able to muster any of their “guanxi” to help.

As far as being certain that guanxi extends its influence into the consulate just because the American employees “venture outside once in a while,” I don’t think this recognizes the depth of the concept of guanxi and its differences from our western concept of, e.g., “friends knowing friends.” The concept and importance of guanxi exists because Chinese are raised to stress their place within a social network, to understand and comply with social expectations, gain face, and obey authority. They grow these complicated relationships mostly for the sheer pleasure of it, and they obey the dictates of guanxi because that’s what they were raised and taught to do. Just because the American embassy workers live in China, need favors, and “venture outside once in a while” doesn't mean they will build and maintain this guanxi or that they'll respond like Chinese to a person marshalling their guanxi in hopes of “greasing the machine”...

It is very obvious that you don't know very much about your own American government and how thing are done not to mention how the military works. Have you ever been in the military or worked on a military base as a civilian? Guanxi is very much alive right here in America we just call it by other names. Much, much more gets done via one hand washing the other rather than through official requisition channels. If everything went through the proper channels nothing in our government would ever get done. In order for my old department to get a $100 part for a piece of equipment from a civilian parts house down town the paper trail would have to go through at least 15 different peoples hands and be signed off by each one and take at least 2 weeks to accomplish but with the use of gusnxie the same part could be obtained in less than 4 yours. That is how it works in the real world.

Guanxi is certainly the way many many thing get accomplished in China as well as America. With 32 years in the military and as a civil service worker I can assure you that I could fill the next 20 pages with examples no exaggeration just the truth.

Yes, I agree that there probably are few B2 visas obtained this way but it is worth the chance as he wants her to obtain one so badly I certainly would not overlook it as a chance, compared to the conventional way but you would probably be surprised how many obtain B2 visas this way. It has only been a year or two that a Visa Office was caught for issuing visa in China for sex from the Chinese girls that were applying. He would approach the ones that he wanted and offer them a 100% guarantee of a visa for sex. He was eventually caught. The number was in the hundreds if I remember correctly.

If course you are entitled to your opinion. That is why we are all here to offer our own specific opinions and they seem to vary rarely coincide with each other.

Larry

Talk to him about it.

Larry

Larry

This is getting a little far from the point of the thread, but anyhow... The OP can decide whether or not he knows anyone who knows someone who has authority over issuing American visas and will be willing to smooth the process in light of those relationships. I stand by my original speculation that 99% of people in this situation are not going to be able to muster any of their ¡°guanxi¡± to help.

As far as being certain that guanxi extends its influence into the consulate just because the American employees ¡°venture outside once in a while,¡± I don¡¯t think this recognizes the depth of the concept of guanxi and its differences from our western concept of, e.g., ¡°friends knowing friends.¡± The concept and importance of guanxi exists because Chinese are raised to stress their place within a social network, to understand and comply with social expectations, gain face, and obey authority. They grow these complicated relationships mostly for the sheer pleasure of it, and they obey the dictates of guanxi because that¡¯s what they were raised and taught to do. Just because the American embassy workers live in China, need favors, and ¡°venture outside once in a while¡± doesn't mean they will build and maintain this guanxi or that they'll respond like Chinese to a person marshalling their guanxi in hopes of ¡°greasing the machine¡±...

It is very obvious that you don't know very much about your own American government and how thing are done not to mention how the military works. Have you ever been in the military or worked on a military base as a civilian? Guanxi is very much alive right here in America we just call it by other names. Much, much more gets done via one hand washing the other rather than through official requisition channels. If everything went through the proper channels nothing in our government would ever get done. In order for my old department to get a $100 part for a piece of equipment from a civilian parts house down town the paper trail would have to go through at least 15 different peoples hands and be signed off by each one and take at least 2 weeks to accomplish but with the use of gusnxie the same part could be obtained in less than 4 yours. That is how it works in the real world.

Guanxi is certainly the way many many thing get accomplished in China as well as America. With 32 years in the military and as a civil service worker I can assure you that I could fill the next 20 pages with examples no exaggeration just the truth.

Yes, I agree that there probably are few B2 visas obtained this way but it is worth the chance as he wants her to obtain one so badly I certainly would not overlook it as a chance, compared to the conventional way but you would probably be surprised how many obtain B2 visas this way. It has only been a year or two that a Visa Office was caught for issuing visa in China for sex from the Chinese girls that were applying. He would approach the ones that he wanted and offer them a 100% guarantee of a visa for sex. He was eventually caught. The number was in the hundreds if I remember correctly.

If course you are entitled to your opinion. That is why we are all here to offer our own specific opinions and they seem to vary rarely coincide with each other.

Larry

can you provide a link to this story. I would be interested to read it.

Talk to him about it.

Larry

Larry

Larry

I don't know as it was about 2 years ago but I will Google for it perhaps you could too.

Larry

Larry

I don't know as it was about 2 years ago but I will Google for it perhaps you could too.

Larry

I tried but I could not find any stories about a USA Immigration/Visa Officer offering sex in exchange for visas to the US.

Larry

Larry

I tried but I could not find any stories about a USA Immigration/Visa Officer offering sex in exchange for visas to the US.

I couldn't either mostly what come up was porn sites. It was discussed her in this forum and I scanned back through several hundred of my post but did not see any mention of it. Sorry I will look some more later tonight and tomorrow too. I did find several that was involved with giving visas for sex to Mexicans and Africans.

Larry

Larry

Well, sticking to the issue at hand (not trying to define how the entire government, military, post offices, etc., work), I stand by my assertion that 99% of the visas are obtained through normal channels. From everything we hear on CFL, there generally seem to be 2 speeds to the US visa process ¨C slow and stopped. Reading through the years of information on this site, I¡¯ve only ever heard of one visa case where the applicant was helped because her husband knew people at the consulate ¨C she had an easy interview, and her timeline was normal. After going through this process and participating on this site for almost 2 years, I believe this is the first time I¡¯ve ever heard someone suggest that a promising option would be for the OP to try to think of someone he or his wife knows to try and pull some strings at the embassy or consulate. Call me naïve, but I think this is a rarity in the visa issuing process. For example, my wife is pretty close with an extremely wealthy and well-connected family in Zhengzhou/Nanyang. These people would love to travel to the United States for leisure, but the visa process is too difficult and put them off. They¡¯re going to Europe instead. To me, if these people didn¡¯t know anyone at the consulate who would expedite their visas, I don¡¯t know who would.

As far as me not understanding how the real world works, I never said friends don¡¯t scratch their friends¡¯ backs in every place in the world. But is this anywhere near the same as the structured, patterned institution of ¡°guanxi¡±? If it is, why have Western sociologists and economists found guanxi interesting enough to write books about, and why have Western businesspeople been left scratching their heads over it? I think there¡¯s a lot more to it than you would expect.

Larry

Well, sticking to the issue at hand (not trying to define how the entire government, military, post offices, etc., work), I stand by my assertion that 99% of the visas are obtained through normal channels. From everything we hear on CFL, there generally seem to be 2 speeds to the US visa process – slow and stopped. Reading through the years of information on this site, I’ve only ever heard of one visa case where the applicant was helped because her husband knew people at the consulate – she had an easy interview, and her timeline was normal. After going through this process and participating on this site for almost 2 years, I believe this is the first time I’ve ever heard someone suggest that a promising option would be for the OP to try to think of someone he or his wife knows to try and pull some strings at the embassy or consulate. Call me naïve, but I think this is a rarity in the visa issuing process. For example, my wife is pretty close with an extremely wealthy and well-connected family in Zhengzhou/Nanyang. These people would love to travel to the United States for leisure, but the visa process is too difficult and put them off. They’re going to Europe instead. To me, if these people didn’t know anyone at the consulate who would expedite their visas, I don’t know who would.

As far as me not understanding how the real world works, I never said friends don’t scratch their friends’ backs in every place in the world. But is this anywhere near the same as the structured, patterned institution of “guanxi”? If it is, why have Western sociologists and economists found guanxi interesting enough to write books about, and why have Western businesspeople been left scratching their heads over it? I think there’s a lot more to it than you would expect.

Very seldom does anyone ask for seek information on a B2 visa here but occasionally they do. Just because there is a lack of information on using guanxi here does not mean it does not exist.

I think that I have agreed with your assessment that most B2 are not obtained in this manner but never the less guanxi does indeed grease the wheels just because you don't know anything about it does not mean it does not exist. How else would you suggest that my wife at age 27 would be able to obtain her first passport and a visa to the US in less than two weeks, just lucky, I don't think so. Come on now even you can see that.

Guanxi is indeed more complex than just bartering I agree with that but obtaining favors for favors is a large part of it therefore the comparison between our system and the guanxi system. I never meant to infer that the two were exactly the same as they are not but both systems are meant to obtain what one wants in that aspect they are the same.

One other suggestion is that we continue this discussion privately via PM as I don't see that our discussion is contributing to what the OP has ask for.

Larry

It is very obvious that you don't know very much about your own American government and how thing are done

never the less guanxi does indeed grease the wheels just because you don't know anything about it does not mean it does not exist.

You have a way of twisting people¡¯s positions and hiding little insults in your posts.

How else would you suggest that my wife at age 27 would be able to obtain her first passport and a visa to the US in less than two weeks, just lucky, I don't think so. Come on now even you can see that.

The way I explain your wife¡¯s experience in obtaining her passport and visa in less than two weeks is that you¡¯re exaggerating. It sounds to me like the kind of story that stands up until someone starts to push on it. Then all of a sudden the details all start changing.

Take a look at this story you use to support your perceptions about what you believe goes on in the embassy:

you would probably be surprised how many obtain B2 visas this way. It has only been a year or two that a Visa Office was caught for issuing visa in China for sex from the Chinese girls that were applying. He would approach the ones that he wanted and offer them a 100% guarantee of a visa for sex. He was eventually caught. The number was in the hundreds if I remember correctly.

The only thing I¡¯ve been able to find that sounds even remotely similar to this is Charles Parish, who faced allegations of granting visas for friends, for cash, and for sex. The scandal took place 11 or 12 years ago, it involved one diplomat and not an office, there¡¯s no way for us to know what their deals were or whether or not it was "hundreds of women," and, his activities, I think you would agree, would be deemed wrong by just about any American diplomat or embassy worker. In your post you present these details with such facility that people think, heck, it must be true, and it must say something about how the embassy operates. But again, when you push on it you find that it¡¯s not nearly what it was made out to be.

One other suggestion is that we continue this discussion privately via PM as I don't see that our discussion is contributing to what the OP has ask for.

If my BS detector goes off then I think it¡¯s relevant to anyone who¡¯s reading your comments for advice on what to do. I don¡¯t have any desire to send PMs with you.

It is very obvious that you don't know very much about your own American government and how thing are done

never the less guanxi does indeed grease the wheels just because you don't know anything about it does not mean it does not exist.

You have a way of twisting people¡¯s positions and hiding little insults in your posts.

How else would you suggest that my wife at age 27 would be able to obtain her first passport and a visa to the US in less than two weeks, just lucky, I don't think so. Come on now even you can see that.

The way I explain your wife¡¯s experience in obtaining her passport and visa in less than two weeks is that you¡¯re exaggerating. It sounds to me like the kind of story that stands up until someone starts to push on it. Then all of a sudden the details all start changing.

Take a look at this story you use to support your perceptions about what you believe goes on in the embassy:

you would probably be surprised how many obtain B2 visas this way. It has only been a year or two that a Visa Office was caught for issuing visa in China for sex from the Chinese girls that were applying. He would approach the ones that he wanted and offer them a 100% guarantee of a visa for sex. He was eventually caught. The number was in the hundreds if I remember correctly.

The only thing I¡¯ve been able to find that sounds even remotely similar to this is Charles Parish, who faced allegations of granting visas for friends, for cash, and for sex. The scandal took place 11 or 12 years ago, it involved one diplomat and not an office, there¡¯s no way for us to know what their deals were or whether or not it was "hundreds of women," and, his activities, I think you would agree, would be deemed wrong by just about any American diplomat or embassy worker. In your post you present these details with such facility that people think, heck, it must be true, and it must say something about how the embassy operates. But again, when you push on it you find that it¡¯s not nearly what it was made out to be.

If my BS detector goes off then I think it¡¯s relevant to anyone who¡¯s reading your comments for advice on what to do. I don¡¯t have any desire to send PMs with you.

So I see that when you get in a corner you resort to calling the person that you disagree with a liar. Whether you know the facts or not is irrelevant to you. That is what I get for trying to show someone another less conventional way of obtaining what he wants. This man wanted this B2 visa for his lady so bad that he was almost willing to do anything to get it so it seemed to me. Someone like you that think they have the secret to traveling faster than the speed of light gets involved and anything that anyone else has to say is irrelevant. So be it.

You can now say whatever you want I am done. I will not respond to your innuendos and to someone that's mind is like a steel trap always closed.

I further suggest that we refrain from corresponding concerning each others post as it seems that you have not agreed with anything that I have ever said in the past in your replies that you have made to me.

So lets agree that we disagree and move on an ignore each other in future post. I think this would be the best policy for you and I.

Larry